View Full Version : Crazy for wanting to fly??

RAM750
18th Feb 2003, 03:35
hey boys and girls.....

I know this has kinda been done to death on this and other forums, however I just wanted to get ppl's latest opinions on this subjet considering current Aviation climate and the possible war on iraq. I'm currently in engineering and been doing it for the last 1.5 years. I'm 22 now and have been through the whole wanting to be a pilot phase in my life.Well actually I hope its not a phase cause I dont ever wana grow out of it! :) I just about looked into all possible ways to get into a good job in aviation, one which hopfully pays off the bills ! Then s11 happened and the Ansett collape just about put an end to my hopes of one day flying a nice shiny jet. I gave up the whole idea for a while, but I'm really getting sick of my job in engineering..Sure it gives me an ok pay slip every fortnight but I awake up every morning dreading having to go to work. So the question is, is it worth thinking about starting flying training now (already have GFPT) or do I just be thankfull for the job I got and make the most of it ? I have asked many ppl this question, and the majority say I'm nuts for wanting to get into aviation at this point with so much uncertanty in the industry. Just wondering what u guys/gals out there on pprune think ??

Thanks in advance

RENURPP
18th Feb 2003, 04:26
RAM750,

you know I am flying a jet, not too shiny not too new, and i still wake up wondering whether I actually enjoy it.
I look back at my earlier career in GA with fond memories, but what I am doing now just doesn't excite me. It sure does pay the bills, and gives me plenty of time off but job satisfaction is at an all time low.

Then I wonder what else I could and would like to do and I come up stumps. I guess what it boils down to is a compromise. You need to sit back and decide what is really important to you.

Family, money, aircraft type, destination, life style???

The big problem for me is now I am earning reasonable money it is very hard to go back to a more full filling job on lower salary.

If I didn't need to rely on my income I would be chasing a job like aeropelican, 3 flights a day 5 days a week living in a great town, for a small company. Flying their can be challenging on occasions and simply relaxing on a nice sunny morning flying low level up the coast.

If you decide to continue and you could do worse than become a pilot, I believe the most important factors in getting your all important first job is careful choice of flying school..

good luck

High Altitude
18th Feb 2003, 06:07
Man can never be scorned for wanting to follow a dream. No matter how crazy it may be the passion and the will to succeed will far overcome any setbacks. People may look at you and say you have failed, but really do you giva sh*t its whats in your heart that counts.

Do a search on a similar thread, there is always the option to become filthy rich in a life outside of aviation and then play with toys. I mean look at Hugh... mmm those bunnies...

But really its a simple choice of what YOU want to do.

:D

RAM750
18th Feb 2003, 23:11
Thanks guys, I've decided to go ahead with the training, regardless of whether I'll be getting a job at the end of it or not. I've always wanted to finish off the training to at least CPL/IR standard. If I get a job at the end, than great, if I dont well, I've still come out on top I think. I get to fly for fun and just keep doing what I'm doing now. The only thing thats been preventing from doin the training so far was funding. But now that I'm working full time, and dont as yet have the wife and kids, I think I can afford to go ahead till at least PPL and see where it goes from there. The way I see it, it either now or never. Its going to be really hard later on to justify spending that amount of money when I have a family to support.

Ang737
18th Feb 2003, 23:16
Put it this way RAM you dont want to get to 50 and kick yourself for not having a go. Make the sacrifice and put in the work and sure you will make it...

RAM750
18th Feb 2003, 23:36
hmmmmmmm just read in the paper today that if war breaks on iraq, qantas might slash up to 2500 jobs. It predicts a 20 percent downturn in international travel.
I know I wrote that I've decided to go ahead with flight training, which I still will, but reading stuff like that isnt very reassuring. Its really got me questioning whether there r any chances of jobs after completion of training. But I guess I'll never know if I dont at least try.

CoodaShooda
19th Feb 2003, 01:51
Put it this way RAM you dont want to get to 50 and kick yourself for not having a go.

Never a truer word Ang ('cept I started the kicking long before 50 :rolleyes: ;) )

High Altitude
19th Feb 2003, 01:53
In the words of NIKE...

'Just Do It'...

Ang737
19th Feb 2003, 02:47
RAM dont read too much into the media beat ups. You are going to get kicked at most turns in your career and its how you ride the humps (and whatever else) that makes your career a success of not. Just do what you heart tells you.

Torres
19th Feb 2003, 03:46
"Sure it gives me an ok pay slip every fortnight but I awake up every morning dreading having to go to work."

Sure it gives me a lousy pay slip every fortnight but I awake up every morning looking forward to going to work.

Only you know which is YOU! :D

Towering Q
20th Feb 2003, 00:41
Forget about the Middle East, forget about what Q may or may not do....put down the newspaper....put your blinkers on and get into it!!

Things happen for a reason, don't let minor distractions like WW3 get in your way.

RENURPP....I like where you're coming from.

Arm out the window
20th Feb 2003, 23:44
You could also look at it this way - no matter what happens politically, there's no getting around the fact that heaps of people are still going to need air transport of some kind or other.
Jobs will be around, and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that predictions about what will happen in the aviation industry are often woefully wrong.
You make your own luck to a large extent, and doors open in unexpected places, so I wouldn't be put off by predictions of doom and gloom.
At the very least, you will have the satisfaction of having achieved something you can be proud of.

fu 24 950
25th Feb 2003, 12:25
engineering 1.5 years and 22 years old.
Finish the engineering licence and learn to fly on the side. the best time to get your licence is in the down turn so when the good times come you are ready to go. Forget the Bush war and the down turn in the next couple of years. When you go for a job as a new CPL,, (with your tool box under your arm ) I can fly your C206 and I can fix it for you as well. .You may not want to be a pilot /engineer , but may be a great starting point.
Best of luck