View Full Version : Int from Argie spotters....?

Jackonicko
17th Feb 2003, 12:20
I was forwarded the following.....

"According to recent rumours, the impending Iraqui (SiC) operation could determine the return of 1435 Flight's four Tornado F.3s to the UK and their
replacement by an equal number of armed (??) Hawks. The Mount Pleasant
fighters are expected to stage through NAS Comandante Espora in Argentina in the first leg of the return flight to the UK accompanied by a VC-10 tanker
from, most likely, 101 Sqdn."

The source is apparently one "Carlos Ay, Webmaster" whose sites (which I haven't checked out) are presumably those at "www.aeromilitaria.com.ar" and "www.vuelo-rasante.com.ar"

freddoir
17th Feb 2003, 12:40
Another lick of black paint for the SHARs? Lets dig up one half of the runway now shall we.

mutleyfour
17th Feb 2003, 13:46
Perhaps we could put the protection of the skies around the Falklands out to tender.........who knows, maybe the Argies would bid!!!

rivetjoint
17th Feb 2003, 13:51
Do Hawks have the endurance?

Woff1965
17th Feb 2003, 16:16
I thought the Hawk's Aim 9L/M wiring had been removed?

Slotback
17th Feb 2003, 19:59
Isn't it amazing just how much rubbish the rumour mill is able to generate when at full speed.

You'd never manage to get all the F3s back without leaving them spread across the americas. That would screw up the AT and supply plots!!
:D

rivetjoint
17th Feb 2003, 20:04
Wasn't it in the news a while ago that they'd shipped an F-3 in parts down there in a C-17 saving valuable hours on the airframes?

BlueWolf
18th Feb 2003, 06:46
I heard that one too RJ; something about flying them home for maintenance in a C-17 instead of under their own steam, I think.

WE Branch Fanatic
20th Feb 2003, 23:24
Yes Bluewolf they did, but I can't find the MOD Press Release....

Some people might also consider the following to be of interest, with respect to the Falkland's/similar places and scenarios...

http://www.navynews.co.uk/articles/2003/0301/0003010301.asp

Archimedes
20th Feb 2003, 23:35
Now how did I guess....? ;)

But:

'the Raytheon AIM 120B AMRAAM missile system that has equipped the FRA2 Sea Harrier for the past 15 years.'

The AIM-120? In RN service in 1988? Several years before the FA 2 appeared in the inventory? :confused: The FRA 2 - do FRA operate some super-secret SHARs in an EW support role: and Navy News has blown their cover??

Don't believe everything you read in the papers, eh?

Although I assume that if the 1435 flt aircraft were to be replaced (which would come as a great surprise), the SHAR would be a more logical aircraft to act as stand in...

'La Muerta Negra ees returning (in a fetching lighter shade of grey)' ??

Mr C Hinecap
21st Feb 2003, 03:02
Yes - we did put the Tornado into a C-17 and fly it down/back. However, I would guess those same C-17s are flying important things elsewhere in the globe right now. It is also fairly labour intensive to actually take em apart & put em back together again. Not as intensive as actually flying the things, with tanking support etc. but probably too much right now. Oops - tempted fate with THAT remark!

artyhug
21st Feb 2003, 12:10
Hmmm, the ability of SHAR's to do QRA in the south atlantic, or anywhere else for that matter!!
Might be a subject to avoid discussing in the presence of anyone from a certain northern fighter base who are tending to work fairly hard at the moment...

Archimedes
21st Feb 2003, 14:38
arty,

knew I should have put the ' :p ' icon in somewhere in the last couple of paras of my last...

timzsta
22nd Feb 2003, 18:38
Hi Freddoir - nice to see you again. Good to see a post from someone who nows about a proper fighter aircraft (banter banter now boys - dont get upset!!!!)

There is no way in a month of blue moons that the mighty FA2's are going to go down to replace the F3 on the Falklands. That would result in much Political and MoD egg on face. And anyway with most of the RAF now heading east the protection of our skies from attack now lies in the hands of the Royal Navy and her Sea Harriers.

"Spider, D school picture.......!"

Speak soon Freddoir - I am off to the pub to spend the last of me money on alchohol before I get made redundant.

Slotback
23rd Feb 2003, 14:01
"with most of the RAF now heading east the protection of our skies from attack now lies in the hands of the Royal Navy and her Sea Harriers."

I think the Shar boys showed recently at a certain northern fighter base that they couldn't (or wouldn't) protect our skies...guess its up to us to hold it together.

Nozzles
24th Feb 2003, 19:13
Now I wasn't there, but I heard from one of the boys that they arrived at said Northern air base ready and willing to take up the sword, but after much hanging around, got orders not to take part, and to return home. Perhaps to avoid the egg timzsta referred to? Anybody able to enlighten?