PDA

View Full Version : If the worst should happen?

busz
17th Feb 2003, 11:26
I am now starting to get a little uneasy. I have flights booked with United from washington To Orlando in June. My question is, what would happen to my confirmed reservation should United go belly up? I have checked that there are flights with Delta Express on the same route later in the day, but would they accept my United ticket should United go into liquidation?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alex

411A
17th Feb 2003, 16:29
Maybe...but then again, perhaps not worth the paper it is printed on.:eek:

Departures Beckham
17th Feb 2003, 19:49
If you booked by credit card (not debit card) then your bank is required to provide you with a refund ... but not find you an alternative service.

Onan the Clumsy
17th Feb 2003, 20:49
Southwest airlines runs 10 flights a day from Baltimore (BWI) to Orlando (MCO). Don't know if they'll honour any other carriers' tickets though.

Memetic
18th Feb 2003, 15:07
If you don't have it, get some travel insurance - check the fine print though there are alwyas a lot of get out clauses for them!

Some credit cards bundle travel insurance in for any tickets bought wholly on the card this is in addition to any protection offered under credit laws where you are. Again check the fine print.

PaperTiger
18th Feb 2003, 20:07
The US Congress has extended the provision protecting consumers in the event of a domestic airline bankruptcy. It had been due to expire in May this year. Basically it means any airline flying the same routes as the o.o.b. one has to provide transport (on a space available basis) and not charge more than $25 for the 'change fee'. Of course assuming load factors were > 50% before, then somebody is going to get left behind. Better than nothing though.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003/2003-02-18-bankruptfees.htm