PDA

View Full Version : 33 and decided

911 Toast
16th Feb 2003, 20:32
I have finally decided not to go for the Atpl
My age and the risk of employment was a big factor

It is a lot of money I would put on risk and only an obsession would okay it but as a famous man said....
Desires can be moderated by the mind...

I now have a load of unused ppl gear and d clark headset,sim yoke etc etc all unused to get shot of
:O

MJR
17th Feb 2003, 09:13
Well done mate, I'm nearly 38 and I'm still going for it!

cheers

MJR:)

Hufty
17th Feb 2003, 09:20
Well done! I am on the roller coaster of despair and elation at the moment given that I'm soon to start my CPL training and for the first time, about to invest significant money in this most difficult of ventures.

I have found though that the bug doesn't go away and unless I try, the urge will just get stronger and stronger. It is a curse!

All the best.

ZFT
17th Feb 2003, 09:45
<<I now have a load of unused ppl gear and d clark headset,sim yoke etc etc all unused to get shot of >>

My advise is to keep hold of it and carry on flying for fun.

Years ago, I bought a Tee Shirt in the States. It had a picture of a 100 dollar bill folded as a paper aeroplane with the caption '' If God intended man to fly, he would have given him more money!!''

Everytime I spend more cash on flying, I'm reminded of that Tee shirt.

Do I regret any expenditure on flying, gliding, parachuting? NO WAY. I've loved every minute of it.

Barhiggins
18th Feb 2003, 08:13
Don't give up!
I started a 30 (1996), part-time study and flying; gave up v.lucrative career (law) in 1998 to commit full-time to Navs & Techs, Hour building and CPL/IR. Finnished 1999: unemployed for 2 years, but persevered w. applications etc. Today, I have been with a regional airline, jet type-rated, for two years (employed with 300 hrs). So the plain and simple fact is it will be hard but IT WILL HAPPEN!

Good luck!

CPTVOR
18th Feb 2003, 11:44
911. Dont do it!

Im 38, just finished the ATPL exams with BGS (Highly recommend) and am about to start the CPL in early March. Whilst I doubt very much that I'll ever be a 747 captain, I know that I've got another 20 good years ahead of me. I've sold virtually everything I own in order to fund this obsession, including my house and prized Harley Davidson:( but, hopefully, it will be worth it in the long run.

Stick with it, ride out the current bad times with the rest of us wannabes and one day, when you're looking out of the window at FL350, you'll know its worth it.