PDA

View Full Version : Sports gear for class 1 medical?

C172Navigator
16th Feb 2003, 13:10
I've got my initial class one medical coming up, and was wondering if I need to take along sports gear like a track-suit or something? Or maybe they give you a fancy gown to wear?

redsnail
16th Feb 2003, 22:53
You get a nice cold gown to wear.

If you have a hint of asthma (and they find it!!) you may be asked to go for a little run.

Howski
21st Feb 2003, 10:28
Hello All

I plan to go for my Class 1 around December time, could you tell me how long the examination lasts for and do you get the pass/fail result on the same day ? what is involved in the examination ? do they check your teeth and could your teeth fail you......

Howski :}

parris50
1st Mar 2003, 23:12
If this is your initial medical it lasts about 3-4 hours. A lot of that time is spent waiting though.

Your teeth are not examined and I can't think how they would affect your flying abiity so I'd say dont worry.

You won't get a pass/fail on the day but they say that they would tell you if there was anything of concern. My medical took about 2 weeks to arrive.

Enjoy the EEG!

AP

Howski
7th Mar 2003, 04:45
Hello Again

Whats the EEG ? what else do they do on the day ?

Howski:O

Hew Jampton
7th Mar 2003, 17:20
Could your teeth fail you?
JAR–FCL 3.230 Otorhinolaryngological
requirements
(a) An applicant for or holder of a Class 1
medical certificate shall not possess any
abnormality of the function of the ears, nose,
sinuses or throat (including oral cavity, teeth and
larynx), or any active pathological condition,
congenital or acquired, acute or chronic, or any
sequela of surgery and trauma which is likely to
interfere with the safe exercise of the privileges of
the applicable licence(s).

Whether bad tooth decay, for example, constitutes an "active pathological condition" you would have to check with the CAA. It could interfere with flying if you get, for example, a painful abcess while in flight. Also, apparently, really bad decay can affect your heart, something I think to do with blood poisoning, can even be fatal in rare cases. Easier to get your teeth fixed.

An EEG is to check for latent epilepsy: stick a load of electrodes on your head, get you to hyperventilate, shine a strobe in your eyes etc.

What else do they do on the day? The rest is absolutely unspeakable but in order to get a Class One you have to take an oath of secrecy in order not to put off future applicants. Seriously, the worst bit is trying not to let your blood pressure be affected by letting your mind wander when the nurses are around. Good luck.