PDA

View Full Version : Failed MECR

Currybeast
16th Feb 2003, 11:59
I have just failed my MECR and as a result been asked to leave my training provider. Can anybody help me to see what options I have to continue to gain an Intergrated ATPL? Can I transfer to a training organisation NOT certified to give Integrated training but certified to give Instrument Rating training, and still get an Integrated ATPL? Does anybody know of this happening?

Thanks

Johnny 7
16th Feb 2003, 15:33
You won't be able to complete an integrated licence at a non-integrated training provider, but there may be other options :
Could you transfer to modular ? If you are a product of the integrated system alone then probably not, however with more experience you may be able to.

Seems odd that you should be dropped at the MECR stage - are you sponsored or have you had problems elsewhere during the course ?

witchdoctor
17th Feb 2003, 14:17
Currybeast?

I would have thought 'SofaBeast' would be more appropriate - still got the photo!

Stick with it big man. Give us a PM if you ever want a chat.

Good luck.

Send Clowns
17th Feb 2003, 20:01
Have you been paying for your own course? If not could you finish if you paid for the rest yourself?

If you were paying already it sounds pretty unfortunate behaviour on the part of the training provider, and only likely to be detrimental to the image of integrated courses, if you can't transfer cheaply to modular. Who would start a course they may not be allowed to complete?

However I would talk to a modular provider. Their head of training may know what you can do, may have come across similar before. I do not know what the MECR is as I work for a modular-only company, but I assume it is equivalent to the multi rating test in a modular system? If so you should have most of the requirements to start at that stage in a modular course though you may have to do some hour building and even a PPL skills test.

Of course talk to the CAA as well if you can get through to them (most schools have a few direct-line numbers, so if you can't get through someone may be able to on your behalf). Even if your training so far does not meet the letter of the regulations they can be fairly helpful with sensible interpretation of the rules.

Best of luck, hope you can rescue something from this!

Send Clowns
Gen Nav groundschool
BCFT

Gin Slinger
17th Feb 2003, 21:14
Yes, I was wondering what MECR stands for...

Mister Geezer
17th Feb 2003, 22:46
The FTO in question should hang their head in shame. This is no way to treat a customer. Shocking behaviour! :mad:

F3
17th Feb 2003, 23:02
MECR is the Multi Engine Class Rating, usually taken as part of the 170A Flying Test (Progress test 5, when I was on an integrated course).
I can't beleive a FTO would ask you to leave at this stage, after all, your setback is their failure. They should sort out exactly what you need to improve upon and get on with it.
Good luck with it.

Johnny 7
18th Feb 2003, 03:44
Currybeast

Not knowing what school you are at, I'm making some assumptions but were you unsuccessful with the MECR & the 170A ? If so was it your first attempt & if so does your training record amplify any problems encountered prior to test ?

If not then you must be somewhat bewildered as the training provider is asking you to leave prematurely - your instructor would have only recommended you for test if he was satisfied with your ability.

Have you discussed this with your course mentor ?

Currybeast
18th Feb 2003, 08:33
Thanks for all of your help and feedback. Tha Multi Engine Class Rating is the test that allows students to fly a twin solo, and usually comes after 28 hours or so of twin flying.

I have had a protracted training (25 hours in 25 WEEKS!!), due to many factors but mainly attributable to overloaded instructors, low aircraft availability and weather.I did my MECR twice, before being shown the door.

Ronbmy
18th Feb 2003, 09:36
Disgusting attitude from your FTO.

Is this the standard treatment they give to students?

overloaded instructors, low aircraft availability

This is a problem with the organisation not the instructors or you. So what gives them the right to blame you for their failings.

I'm too old to make it a sensible option in going for the fATPL, given the current market conditions, but my daughter is very enthusiastic about doing it - and very able.

I would not like her to attend such an organisation so would you mind naming - in a pm if needs be - so that we can make sure she grants them a very wide berth.

Follow the advice of Send Clowns and do all you can to continue. Do Not give up

Good Luck and keep smiling.

Ron.

F3
18th Feb 2003, 12:23
A couple of things spring to mind.

As far as I remember, on an integrated course, you don't have to do the MECR - you can just(!) do the 170a then IR(M/E) and open your CPL on the S/E aeroplane with your Multi/IR attached. If you don't intend flying a light twin after your course there is little point in having the MECR anyway.
Another option, if things have gone sour at your FTO, is to transfer to a decent school such as Bristol Flying Centre, get a dedicated excellent flying instructor such as Nasib and fly every day. You wil be sorted very quickly and never look back!
If you do go to BFC or a similar (non-integrated) school you will have to inform the CAA and it may be worth your while getting your CPL (opened on your S/E A/C) immediately. From this point on you will have to satisfy the modular hours criteria.

Needless to say, getting your current FTO to pull their finger out and do what you're paying them to do is preferable, but which ever path you take do it quickly as currency is king (although looking at your reply above continuity is THE problem)

Johnny 7
18th Feb 2003, 14:33
Hmm,

I'm sure the CAA would certainly be interested in your progress - 25hrs in 25 weeks ! The weather is understandable but instructor & a/c availability sounds disgraceful.

Initially I suspected a school with a boat race connection however, this is not the same course structure; The alternative might be one a little further east ?

You need to push this with your current training provider - if you were considered acceptable by your instructor for a test but your standard is so poor that they feel you need to leave then I feel that the company has acted misappropriately.

You have been badly let down.

carbonfibre
18th Feb 2003, 14:37
Currybeast

This sounds familiar of a school i went to, but was the attitude of the owner when you spoke your mind on there paticular brand of planning and aircraft time, I am wondering if that was the case.

Send me a private message i would be intersted, if its not the same one i would like to know who it is so i dont do my IR there too.

I will return a private message of a comapny who helped me through the CPL stage, helpful ,flexible and made the training fun, excellent briefs and de briefs and coupled with a first time pass. Couldnt have been better.

Hope all goes well, nothing like the bad schools to bring the good ones down:cool:

Keep flying:D

Send Clowns
18th Feb 2003, 23:36
Apalling. I did 25 hours in about 4 weeks on a JAA modular IR, and that is much more typical. This school should be bowing and scraping in apology to you, not throwing you out. They should be concerned for their approvals.

witchdoctor
19th Feb 2003, 09:26
Some schools just never learn from their mistakes. Some schools might instead just roll out a new ultra-expensive "airline approved" course to cover the cracks. Some schools just take it for granted that desperate students will just continue to throw money at them regardless of the treatent they may receive. Some schools also seem to be slow in recognising that airlines are no longer beating a path to their door with sponsored courses and their business is increasingly reliant on self-improvers. Some schools might want to review the situation.

However, I think currybeast is undoubtedly better off now that he has the opportunity to take his business to some other school.