PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Application?

cleared24right
16th Feb 2003, 11:14
Hi,

Just been on the Ryanair site to see there new recruitment process, I don't really understand what it means for non-typerated pilots. From what i understand you have to apply to one of their type rating schools (or all of them), and then they interview you, is this correct??

Cheers.

AYR521
16th Feb 2003, 11:52
It is not clear what they mean with this statement:"Obtain training then apply online."
I suspect they want you to get a self-sponsored type rating with the approved schools and then you will be considered for a selection..

Splat
17th Feb 2003, 07:29
My reading of the requirements is, that IF you get a TR from one of the listed providers, you may then apply. The difference is that you no longer require 300 hours on type. No guarantees either.

It would be nice to have the interview first, and a job offer subject to the TR, as the LC in the US do.

Splat

KitKatPacificuk
17th Feb 2003, 09:40
I agree. It would be nice to have an interview first. I was looking at the Gecat website to see the cost of training. £15000 inc VAT for the sim training, but then they say to budget for £5000-£7000 for the base training with an airline!! So now we are actually paying to fly for the airline still with no guarantee of a job!
You also must have an MCC. If you don't then there is another cost on top.

It is getting worse not better! Any comments?

Splat
17th Feb 2003, 09:47
I thought it was 15K PLUS VAT.

I guess one question that needs answering is if GECAT do any sort of screening on behalf of FR.

Grivation
17th Feb 2003, 09:58
If Virgin Blue pilots in Australia pay AUS$ 21500 (7924 quid) and Southwest pilots pay US$9995 (6250 quid) for a simulator endorsement then how can GECAT and the like in Europe justify 15000 quid?

Oh thats right I forgot - the JAA :yuk:

KitKatPacificuk
17th Feb 2003, 10:01
Splat.

Just looked again and it is including VAT.

I think that maybe Ryanair or another airline will take on guys that GECat put forward. But still gotta pay the £5000 - £7000 for the base training!!
How many hours or sectors is that?
How many more months of not being paid for flying?

Splat
17th Feb 2003, 10:05
Thanks for that, I've also just checked. I'm sure that's changed as I could have sworn it was plus VAT last week!

KitKatPacificuk
17th Feb 2003, 10:14
It probably was, then they realised that they were taking the piss with the cost so they took off the VAT.

O and look!! they still are taking the piss!!
What to do?

Who would go for this deal? Very interested to know!

fusible plug
17th Feb 2003, 10:34
Having been successfully through this route with Ryanair six months ago it is laughable to read you guys debating the economics of the type rating. Based on future earnings, £15000, with or without VAT is peanuts with respect to what you can earn at Ryanair. If you took time to find out what the real financial implications are, then you should be applying right now!

Splat
17th Feb 2003, 10:51
fusible plug,

Yes, I agree, arguing over the VAT as you put it, is not really worth that much in the scheme of things.

The real issue is that of taking the gamble without anything at the end of it. I take it that you paid for your own TR and was fortunate enough to get a job on the back of it. Did you have any indications that you would be taken on upon successful completion, or at any other time before completion? For me, that is the real issue here.

Splat

Cricketer
17th Feb 2003, 11:05
When you post this fusible:

it is laughable to read you guys debating the economics of the type rating. Based on future earnings, £15000, with or without VAT is peanuts with respect to what you can earn at Ryanair.

I agree if you become straight away a direct entry captain with the golden handshake et al.. But you can not be serious when you start as a reduced pay first officer. If you are serious then please post your experience for all to consider. I can not believe that many people will be willing to give up work (any type) to go and do a type rating with NO guarantee of even an interview and spend fifteen grand on top of it all.

Even if you have no loans following an integrated course or other then it has got to be the rare person who can afford all of that in this climate. GECAT surely have to do some sort of selection before they let you lose on this. I am going to be writing to BALPA about this blatant misuse of the current financial climate to abuse wannabees. Scandalous is what this is.

And before anyone starts saying well they are a business and they have to get buy etc... What is going to happen to the pilots who currently are under enough stress paying back loans when they have to pay even more back and then start working long hours etc. If you think there is a current problem with pilots drinking then I am sure this is going to do some real good. NOT Stress levels are going to become intolerable and ryainair will make everyonw work to the Irish limits with regard to flight duty.

Can an airline become 'unable to attract quality recruits', they are certainly going the right way about it!!

KitKatPacificuk
17th Feb 2003, 11:35
Criketer and fusible.

Both points very valid!! But a difficult decision to make.

How did you go about it fusible? Did you have alot of backing or did you know of something before hand? Or did you just go for it?

Fuji-san
17th Feb 2003, 12:06
KKatP...........

'Base Training' does not involve any revenue flying for the airline concerned.
It usually consists of half a dozen of you all together in the aircraft at a quiet aerodrome somewhere, along with an instuctor qualified to conduct airborne training on the type.
You take it in turns to fly a few visual circuits, with one engine simulated shut down, usually not more than three are required.
What you are getting for your money is the private use of a commercial jet transport with trainer for a couple of hours.
Many pilots consider this to be the last time they ever enjoy flying once they've started the long boring grind of daily commercial life in an airline.
Enjoy!!

jasonjdr
17th Feb 2003, 12:24
Fusible.

How big are your NUTS! Doesn't matter what you are earning. £15,000 is a LARGE wad of cash!

I wish sum people would keep some perspective on these potential salaries that can be earned. With a £60-100,000 income comes a £60-100,000 lifestyle, home(s), car, wife, kids, etc. People just don't wipe off these 'extra debts from training', they have a habit of sticking around for a while. People therefore have a right to be concerned.

To just wave it off is pretty unrealistic. Unless of course you have been there and done that! In which case can you let us know the secret of such astute financial management;) !

Waggon rut
17th Feb 2003, 13:32
Cleared24right- You are right in what you say.
The cost of 15K will be wrong an NG rating will be at least 18K+

17th Feb 2003, 13:54
Am I looking at the wrong page or is GECAT only advertising for self-sponsored A320 type rating at £15.000 inc?

Cricketer
17th Feb 2003, 13:56
Who else is an authorised provider?

AYR521
17th Feb 2003, 16:05
SAS Flight Academy,CAE Amsterdam,Flight School Berlin, and Gecat are the approved schools.
I don't know how much they are going to ask for a 737NG type rating but I can expect not less than £20,000 (30000 Euro) for full training.

Cricketer
17th Feb 2003, 16:12
Has anyone done it and what is to be expected. I bet they still take the fifty squid!

Tosh McCaber
17th Feb 2003, 20:10
I really don’t believe what I’m reading. These postings here are shocking. I cannot believe that anyone, after having qualified as a commercial pilot is considering, or has already spent, a very large amount of his/her own cash or somebody else's money, to qualify for a nebulous job, which may or may not be there. Which other industry demands that a potential employee spends up to £80,000 or more to finally get a job?

Until Ryanair started this insidious trend, Type Rating was (and still is), the responsibility of the airline, not a potential employee. They have a lot to answer for.

UV
17th Feb 2003, 22:42
I too find their requirements totally unfathomable.
No reference to age limits,starting salaries,or terms for the type rating i.e. a definate and confirmed job offer(?).
Must have had help from the authors of CAP 54....