View Full Version : How to do the ATPL's???

marshall
16th Feb 2003, 11:07
Time has come to get those ATPL’s out the way. :uhoh:

What is the best way to do this mammoth task?

1) Self Study (Trevor Thom)
2) Pay heaps of $$$ and attend a theory provider
3) Online (Rob Avery)

Any information or thoughts would be great! :ok:

decimal86
16th Feb 2003, 11:33
did mine at a school -won't mention the name,though they were bloody good-cost me a pretty penny but worth it.

oh, i fluffed it twice before on my own that's why. give the man his dues and get it over it, is my advice.

Towering Q
16th Feb 2003, 12:32
I'm attempting self study. Starting with the easy subjects first.
If I manage to drag myself away from this bl**dy computer I might get some reading done.:O

Ang737
16th Feb 2003, 21:56
OK here is my chance to plug a theory provider that I consider the best in the country.

Check out Advanced Flight Theory at Maroochydore. A pleasant environment to study the subjects and also a world class instructor. I suggest doing the four harder subjects first

Flight Planning, NAV, Performance and Loading, Systems

The reamining 3 are a peice of cake and can be self studied. Nathan at AFT provides you with the exact knowledge to pass the exams and has an outstanding pass rate....

Highly Recommended...

Ang

Advanced Flight Theory (http://www.aft.com.au) ;)

TurboOtter
17th Feb 2003, 01:33
Did mine in Maroochy with what's his name. (the name is on the tip of my tongue)
Anyway VERY VERY VERY EXCELLENT Instructor!!! Fulltime course is the best way, get it over and done with :p

Did all my tests at once failed, failed Nav believe it or not, then passed it the secound time a month later!!!!

:D :D

Yippeeeee:cool:

That's it .....Nathan!!!
Top bloke and excellent instructor. Worth every penny!!
Though a discount would be better!;)

marshall
17th Feb 2003, 10:59
Many thanks for the feedback guys!

AFT seems the place to go!

Have heard that some people specialize better then others in certain subjects.

i.e. Mr X is great for Flight Planning but not so good for AGK or Mr Y is great at AGK but hopeless at performance and loading.

Any thoughts?

Ref + 10
18th Feb 2003, 00:34
I used Rob Avery's and found it to be sensational. Rob was fantastic and he couldn't do enough to help you. I also thought that the cost was very reasonable and considering the ease with which I went through them all, well worth it!

On top of the theory I also got free access to his editorials and various other postings. Several airline interviews articles and so forth which are well worth the read.

nungry
18th Feb 2003, 03:18
Doing mine at the moment by correspondence with AFT. Passed AGK and Air Law first go. Nathan is always available to help and answer questions. Obviously if you can afford to go there, that would be the best way to go, as self study at home has too many distractions, i.e. cricket and beer.
Worth every cent so far, would recommend 100%:ok:

McIce
18th Feb 2003, 11:09
Whatsthe difference in price?
I believe its about $2,500 for a 2 weeks course and all the books with AFT. (I stand to be corrected ).
What is it with Rob Avery?
Cheers
Ice

Aussiebert
18th Feb 2003, 23:16
5 weeks

other then that sounds right.

Other part not mentioned, is that you can resit the classes if you fail, for free. So you know that what you pay is what it will cost to get your atpl... with the exception of exam fees which you'll have to pay again if you need a 2nd go.

They also arrange your accomodation and its well priced, pot luck with what room/house you get, but i got lucky so i was happy with it.

If your a youngter (like me) i recomend it as you'll meet a lot of people and get to hear a lot of different views, get some advice, and so forth.

Only thing i could have to say thats not good is the lack of natural light in the classroom... i get sleepy in airconditioned rooms with fluro lights :=

Ang737
19th Feb 2003, 02:50
Stand corrected the course is around 2500 but thats for 5 weeks of study. You also have to consider accomodation when your there. Give Kate a call and ask about the Quest apartments I highly recommend them... A bit of a walk but that will only clear your head...

A closer place to stay is 780 David Low Way right at the gate to the airport... Kate will have all the details. Good Luck

Ang ;)

Piston Twin
20th Feb 2003, 00:45
Have to agree with the AFT course. Have done some by self study at home, and some with Nathan at AFT and found his course to be worth every cent.

At the end of the day though it comes down to your circumstances. Can you afford 5 weeks off work, are you disipled enough to self study, etc. My recomendation though if you can afford it do a classroom course.

PT

NOTAM
20th Feb 2003, 03:34
AFT all the way! All their material is spot on. Well worth doing the course if you can.

Dances_With_Clouds
20th Feb 2003, 07:38
In going with the best way to do ATPL's...

I live in NZ and can't really afford the time away from work to do a full time course with AFT (I hear they are really good).

Has anyone done these subjects by correspondence then, once they have an Aussie ATPL, converted it to an NZ one?

Or is Rob Avery a better idea for NZers? If so, where can I get hold of more information regarding him?

Ash767
20th Feb 2003, 09:58
Marshall
Like most people have said above go to Advanced Flight Theory.
Nathan Higgins is a true theory professional. It is certainly worth the time and money to visit AFT for your ATPL. Nathan will stick with you until you pass.

The course format is easier now due to the cyber exams. Now you can learn one subject sit the exam and pass or Fail, you can forget it and move on to the next. I first did the course just before Cyber exams and you had to remember all subjects until the end:yuk:

If you can book early and stay @ 780 David low way- you can even catch a RPT flight (QANTAS) to the door step of 780 David low way and AFT

Ash767

needanamefast
20th Feb 2003, 23:41
I did the hard 4 with a very good theory provider and got very good results i ended up doing HFA self study with a book by Green and Trevor Thom which saved me $150 i have almost finished the distant learning for Met and Alaw from AFT and i have been very impressed with the notes and sample exams although i will not say to much untill after the exams next week

Good Luck to all

marshall
22nd Feb 2003, 03:11
Many thanks for the help guys!

AFT here we come......;)

Transition Layer
22nd Feb 2003, 04:05
What about Len Sales at UNSW? The guru!!!

Plenty of laughs and great stories from someone who's been there and done it. I passed all 7 first go, so he must be doing something right!

UNSW Aviation (http://www.aviation.unsw.edu.au)

:D

TL

intake
22nd Feb 2003, 11:45
:ok: rob in perth is outstanding. Used him for FLT planning only, the rest you can pass on your own without much trouble. Get the ATPL syllabus from CASA / pilot supply store, get the necessary books and get reading. Robs diagramatic approach to flt planning makes it more meaningful and not just a number crunching exercise. Very high pass rate for first attempt. Good luck .....

18-Wheeler
22nd Feb 2003, 16:42
What ever happened to Doug Driver?
I did APTL subjects with him a loooong time ago at Archerfield.

aero979
26th Feb 2003, 03:54
I completed ATPL Air Law this morning and passed using AFT theory notes. Have done the same with Human Factors and Met, but am planning on doing Systems and Planning on the
beee -uuu-tiful sunshine coast!
The hardest part in these exams is working out what the bloody question is asking!!!:D

marshall
24th Mar 2003, 11:55
Many thanks for the replies guys!

Certainly made my choice easier :ok:

GearOff
4th Mar 2004, 16:35
You can't go past Len Sales at BK. Over 90% for everything I did with him - can't complain about that!

Top bloke, and as the other poster said - he's seen and done it all.

-G.O.

Spit Murphy
5th Mar 2004, 20:25
G'day all,

I used Gavin Secombe and I got good scores in my exams. Gavin cost about $2000 and the text is great.:ok:

Fat Albert flyer
6th Mar 2004, 13:43
I did mine with Gavin Seccombe. It was pretty good except flight planning, I thought that was below standard. I also saw AFT notes and their multiple choice answers seemed to be very close to questions in the exams.

This was 3 years ago, I hope Gavin has improved his flight planning since.

skyfox
11th Mar 2004, 17:53
AFT all the way... I have notes from Secombe, Len sales, and several others and absolutely none of them beat Nathans notes. I have just finished all subjects.... what a marathon.

Like some of the others have said, get the hard ones out of the way first. I did Flight Planning 3 times and Nathan was there all the way, got 68pc on the 2nd attempt after leaving it for 10 months, had to wait a month before sitting it a third time and came out with 90pc.

Dont go past Nathans notes.

Towering Q
15th Mar 2004, 01:28
AFT has got me through Human Factors and Met. Not that difficult. I've started on Performance and Loading because I was told this subject and Nav form part of Flight Planning and should be completed first. Is this correct?

kiki
18th Mar 2004, 05:30
go AFT, i looked at the others no one else comes close, plus nathan is an excellent instructor and knows everything about everything, plus ull make lots of mates in his classes. and its the sunny coast, thats a great place esp the beach and the eye candy on it. :-)

GrossWeight
19th Mar 2004, 02:55
I used Len for Flight Planning, AGK and Performance & Loading. Brilliant coure, and didn't encounter anything that he didnt cover. No problemo's.

Didn't find that sitting Nav and Performance first made any difference to how i found Flight Planning. Flight Planning's mostly CP's, PNR's and weight/fuel calculations, none of which are involved in NAV or performance. Each to their own tho, and as long as you get thru them does it matter how you did, or in what order?

Would recommend doing AGK last, purely for the amount of information/reading involved. I could of used another 2 weeks just to read through all the notes/ hand outs and copious books i had.

Best of luck to all those out there sitting the 7 nasties. :ok:

p_aero
27th Mar 2004, 09:48
Did mine plus irex, 4 business subjects, dangerous goods and first aid all for $550. At holmesglen tafe Moorabbin, last year.
A different teacher this year though.
You will need a year free or drop the business subjects and you will need Tuesday and Thursday nights free between 6 and 10.

Loc-out
13th Apr 2004, 10:16
Just from my experience from years ago, it is much better to go on a school course. They teach you how to pass the exams.

Self study requires a lot of self displine and you need to be pretty bright. It may be better with the internet these days.

ConwayB
10th Jul 2005, 07:30
Yep,
AFT is the way to go. Did my ATPL (H) with Warren and Nathan who came up to Townsville and taught the hard subjects to a class of 10 I got together.

Both Warren and Nathan know their stuff, are great guys and have a good working relationship with CASA and the exam writers...

So my two cents worth? Pay the dough and avoid the D'oh! when you fail by one mark. These guys will get you through.

If Warren and Nate are reading, "thanks for all your help and patience with our little group. We enjoyed your course immensely!"

Conway

ovum
10th Jul 2005, 23:34
Surely Len Sales @ UNSW....?!

Plenty of watiznames, kush kushkas and 'works exceedingly well' in conjunction with great teaching and stories to boot.

Definite recommendation

02 9791 3047

Elvis the Spot King
21st Jul 2005, 15:10
Nathan at AFT is an excellent educator. I am a tightarse by nature, but i believe the AFT course is worth the $s.

wishtobflying
25th Jul 2005, 01:01
Does anyone have the AFT notes available to buy second hand?

ConditionLever
30th Jul 2005, 15:23
I would like to add my ringing endorsement of Nathan Higgins at AFT. Excellent course and the "after sales service" i.e. help with info for interview study etc even years after you do the course is gladly given.

Much appreciated!!!