PDA

View Full Version : Has there been a change in consumer attitudes towards flying since Sep 11 2001 ?

finals40
15th Feb 2003, 22:33
Hi - I just wanted to know what your opinions are on the above topic.
I am doing a Marketing research project and your opinions will be deeply appreciated - I will be grateful for any input you can offer.

Email : [email protected]

Thank You

Rubi

newarksmells
17th Feb 2003, 15:46
The simple answer to your question is yes at least in the U.S because of 2 reasons.

Firstly, the general public is simply scared. The events of September 11th left some very deep scars that won't heal quickly. As for myself, I was moving a Data Center starting on September 15th from New Jersey to Texas and we were chartering a private jet service to transport equipment etc. out of Newark. Needless to say, we didn't move until the following weekend and I was on the jet ensuring the safe delivery of equipment. I didn't especially feel like flying at that time, but I'm glad I did..sort of like falling off your bike and getting back on again.

Secondly, people refuse to arrive at check-in 2 hours early for a domestic flight and put up with the new security regulations in place. These are your normal type hoidaymakers. In the N.E US, it's just as easy if not quicker to take an Amtrak train from N.Y to Washington and you end up getting their earlier with minimal hassle. And both holidaymakers and business people are now using this as an alternative option.

BRUpax
18th Feb 2003, 09:27
I was a regular (mainly leisure) traveller between Europe and the USA and within the USA on two or three occasions per year since the mid seventies. I had returned from Chicago through Washington DC on UNITED only days before 911. The impact of 911 hasn’t detered me from flying but, at present, it has detered me from returning to the USA. This is purely because of the paranoia which, in the name of security, has engulfed US airports and the so many incredible stories of pure stupidity by job’s worth security staff. (Grandmothers being stripsearched, senior citizens of eighty plus in wheelchairs being given the third degree etc). I still fly regularly inside Europe and find it relatively trouble free. Furthermore, there’s no need for checking-in two hours prior departure for a short 45 minute hop! Should this begin to happen here (in Europe) I would change to the car and/or train as my mode of transport. Bottom line: Yes, of course, I want security; however, it should be objective, well-organised and run by personnel who have both a personality and a life!

newarksmells
18th Feb 2003, 21:00
I think I smell an oxymoron...security staff with a life and a personality.

Come to think of it you're right, they don't have either. Ooops, my mistake.

Tinstaafl
25th Feb 2003, 22:09
I believe the levels of passenger anxiety would not be nearly so great if it wasn't for the paranoid overreaction of the US authorities, feeding into their concerns and establishing a feedback loop.