PDA

View Full Version : ORAC (and others pls), I need advice CRT/LCD.

AngleAndAttack
15th Feb 2003, 15:16
HI,

Going to order a new PC next week.
Dell Dimension 8250 P4 2.8ghz
512MB
120GB HD
ATI 9700 PRO digital/analog output
Creative Audigy II

Problem is I have to choose between 4 monitors:

Dell CRT 17" E772, 0.27 dot.pitch max res 1024 x 768/85Hz
Dell CRT 19" M992,0.25 " " 1600 x 1200/75Hz

Dell LCD 17" FP1702, 0.264 dot. pitch,rec. res. 1280 x 1024/60Hz
Dell LCD 19" FP1900, 0.294 " " 1280 x 1024/60Hz
Response time on both LCD is 25ms. Contrast ratio 500:1.

ORAC,I saw in another thread you own a Samsung 191T. That is the same as the Dell FP1900.
Can you give me some feedback on the performance of this monitor?

It`s my home PC,so it will be used for gaming as well as Photo/Video/Internet/MSOffice etc.
I am looking forward to play IL2 on it and do some "real" flying instead of the slideshow I get on my current PC. :)

As it stands today,I`m in favour of the 19" CRT,but if LCD is at level that would be cool.
Any advice on which to choose will certainly be welcome.

A&A

:)

ORAC
15th Feb 2003, 16:17
LCD have a fixed pixel count/resolution. They also have a slow update rate compared to a CRT. Their great advatage is their small footprint.

If, as you say, you're primary uses will be gaming, photography and video then the choice has to be the 19" CRT. No contest.

gofer
15th Feb 2003, 17:53
ORAC's right - the res of the 19" CRT is better, for games that's the key.

The LCD's from DELL are both good, remember that the 17" LCD is close to the screen size of a 19" CRT. The 19"LCD has a pixel pitch that is more than you really want - 0.27 is OK less is better.

The deciders for me are - radiation exposure (hours in front of a CRT are not as good as hours in front of an LCD!) - power consumption (LCD's usually win hands down) - and finally real estate (LCD's win again).:ok:

PPRuNe Towers
15th Feb 2003, 18:36
Top advice from Orac: Other companies are still playing catch up with the latest Samsung models and their 500:1 contrast ratio. Remember, however that an LCD only works at one 'native' resolution - all others are software and electronic kludges and it shows.

That said it is horses for courses and if your bent is towards graphics intensive gaming or critical colour reproduction the CRT screen still wins out and, these days, offers incredible value for money.

Rob

The Nr Fairy
15th Feb 2003, 18:41
Forget the tech specs. Is space an issue ? If so, LCD - no question.

If not, then the 19" CRT.

Mac the Knife
15th Feb 2003, 18:55
Unless your gaming demands are really extreme, why not consider the Matrox Parhelia 128MB and two of the 17" (or 19"!!)monitors?

Once you've used a multi-monitor setup you'll never go back to a single again.

Mac [Matrox G450 Dualhead + 2x LG Studioworks 700S]

ORAC
15th Feb 2003, 21:49
You can get a Radeon 9700PRO, 128Mb 8X AGP, Dual head for the same price (US $350). :}

AngleAndAttack
15th Feb 2003, 23:10
Thank you all for the answers.

With regards to other graphic cards,I am afraid its a fixed deal except for the monitors.

Here in Norway we have a special arrangement when it comes to Home PC`s.
If the company you work for require you to have the slightest knowledge about how to use a PC, it is tax deductable.
In practice that means that they let you pay the PC from the salary before income tax is calculated. So I reduce the price with Ca. 50 %. ( I wish they would do the same thing with regards to my car :) )

Anyway,it seems that for the moment a CRT is still the safest bet when it comes to an allround PC. Shame really, but in a couple of years the tecnology will definately be different.
Upgrade is the name of the game as always.

A&A

:)

Groundgripper
22nd Feb 2003, 20:22
Funny, I was going to open a new thread to ask almost the same question - then I saw this one!

A relative who is a computer techie told me the other day that the manufacture of CRTs was stopping in the near future. I also noticed that you can now buy a 17" TFT for about £280 including VAT which seemed a bargain to me. It's the Refresh AOC LM720A with a 0.264mm pixel pitch, quite basic, but at that price I'm not surprised. It gets a very good review in the March edition of Computer Shopper.

Space is quite important, I don't 'do' games, concentrating on Word, Excel and still photo packages as well as Internet, which is why I'm interested. Current machine is a 200 MHz Pentium I with 3.2GB hard drive (OK, don't laugh!), but I'm thinking of updating soon. I was also quite impressed by a 15" TFT I saw in Dixons the other day for about £190.

ORAC
22nd Feb 2003, 22:20
Check out Tom's Hardware Guide (http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/index.html) for LCD reviews.