PDA

View Full Version : BA to quit Channel Islands

akerosid
15th Feb 2003, 12:25
Although there have been rumours for some time of BA quitting GCI because of its intention to ditch the ATR72s and GCI's rwy not being able to take 737s, but I've been hearing rumours this week that BA is also considering quitting JER from LGW.

Loads have been reasonably good, but it is a business route and surely the airline values the business traffic from a financial centre. If it does go, expect some pretty strident (albeit totally ineffective) bleating from the Jersey authorities. Airport charges at JER have been a major bone of contention.

fox_trot_oscar
15th Feb 2003, 14:23
GCI's runway can take 737s (-200s, -300s, -400s and -500s have all been in) - just not BA's for some reason.

Yes there were occasionally some payload restrictions with summer temperatures on the -300 - and the -400 was a one-off I think, but it can and has been done on a scheduled basis.

However, I'm sure having several 146-200 and -300s (flybe) and 110 seat plus 737s daily on the route would be serious over capacity on a not particulary high yielding route... sadly.

FO :(

hapzim
15th Feb 2003, 15:39
Yes FO they have been in. So has a 757. But to programme a 737 into GCI 3/4 times a day with regular 25/30+ kts of crosswind wet runway and poor vis means not only are they likey to overshoot but will have a payload reduction for departure.

An extra 250 metres of runway would help. Will you be happy if you are one of the 30 pax they have to off load for performance reasons.

The accountants are not going to let them operate at reduced loads all of the time. There are more profits to be had on other routes.

Try getting seats from the CIs especially now FLY-BE are offering value seats and making money at it.

Lets hope for a runway extention.

HZ123
15th Feb 2003, 15:43
The irony is that just s few years ago BA was buying up everything to swamp these routes i.e. JER, GCI. Sadly so much changes and BA now seems bent on ceasing many of the regional routes. Apologies that you are both states, besides which JER has plenty of coverage and having had the pleasure of visiting in August 02 I was concerned that though it was the end of the summer season it was very quiet with most hotels displaying vacancies. It may also follow that having dispenced with our staff there this is natural progression.

BALU53
17th Feb 2003, 20:55
In view of the ATRs going, and the down sizeing of ATP and J41 aircraft, are the Dash 8's the next in line...? Is this the last signs of BA and the turbo props...? :confused: BA Mainline went down this 'road' about 20yrs ago!:ok:

CheekyVisual
18th Feb 2003, 08:18
J41s backhanded to Eastern - Old deal bad - New deal good ! - Dash 8 fleet with FOR SALE signs up, ATP fleet to follow if anyone would buy it - NO CHANCE. ATPs will be returned at end of lease period. BACX turboprop fleet to be completely gone by 2005 at latest.

So no BA turboprops - Until the next time !

HZ123
18th Feb 2003, 09:14
When you look at that mixed batch of aircraft can it be any wonder that BA is sadly pulling the plug on many of the regional routes. It must be virtually impossible on BA / BACX rates to operate and make a profit.

As stated who would want to purchase any of them?

skidmarksIOM
18th Feb 2003, 10:51
Well, it is very evident that BA are not only downsizing to a full jet fleet, with the J-41's disappearing by April 31st, ATP's and Dash 8's all going in the next 2 years, they are also reducing their interest in domestic services. They will be left with the profitable routes - GLA, EDI, MAN to London. That is all they want. They are busy now asset stripping BACX and anyone else they can get their hands on and to hell with the people affected.

I imagine that, once they have no turbo-props at all, it will not only be GCI and JER that suffers. IOM and other outstations too will lose a decent, regular service. Unless, of course, someone steps in. Can anyone imagine Eastern or any other operator (Euromanx - joke!!!) running an ATP fleet or similar to fill the gap?

In trim
19th Feb 2003, 21:12
Regrettably it was/is only a matter of time.

BA (mainline) talked about pulling out of JER a while ago, but gave in to the opposition, including a lot of heavyweight banks.

GCI was always going to suffer once Brymon etc. vanished, and as for LGW-GCI, that made money with an ATR72 and CFE costings, but there's no way it would ever work with BA costs on a larger aircraft.

Leave the Channel Islands to BE/FlyBE. They've got the right aircraft and costs for the CI routes.

(And the CI is a perfect niche market for FlyBE in it's new 'lower cost' mode, cos they won't be able to compete head-on on core routes with the proper low-cost carriers!)