PDA

View Full Version : Security Up A Gear - Long Queues

bealine
15th Feb 2003, 11:47
Sorry, folks, but the BAA have (rightly) stepped security up a notch and are now insisting that Outdoor Coats pass through the x-ray scanners.

This is causing long queues at the Security Entrances (whether it be LHR, LGW, STN or whatever!)

Whilst this "alert state" has moved up a notch, the queues are forming largely because of the enormous amount of cabin baggage pax are once again carrying.

I know all the reasons for taking "carry-ons" - "for speed at the other end", "the airline's lost my bags before" etc. and the purpose of this post is not a bitching session about cabin baggage - "that old chestnut!"

However, if you can check as much in as you can, your efforts in speeding the scanning process would be much appreciated by staff and fellow travellers alike.

BTW - Security will no longer allow a member of airline staff to take late running pax to the head of the queue, so please allow a little extra time for your "airport processing" over the coming weeks!

gofer
15th Feb 2003, 17:38
Long queues my *****, gynormous.

From getting upstairs from check-in it took 1 whole hour to get to the scanner. How incompetent and slow people can be is just pathetic (the SLF - not the security staff I hasten to +).

Have no query with the coat logic, my coat has enough zips to light up even the most friendly setting of archway, so it comes off every time anyway, but that is neither here nor there.

That queue went 3 times the length of the building, and the security staff were saying if your flight doesn't take-off in the next hour "DON'T" join the queue. Ignored that and caught my flight that was scheduled for 75 mins. later by a whisker.

Moral - don't trust security - not even as much as they trust you !:suspect:

PaperTiger
15th Feb 2003, 18:26
While I can understand beefing up perimeter and other external (landside) security measures in response to a (perceived) elevated threat level, shouldn't pax/crew screening be consistently thorough at all times ?

The inference is surely that prior to this week, a weakness existed in the screening process. A smart terrorist (they may be mad - they may not be dumb) will exploit such gaps when least expected. Wait until the 'threat' passes, then stuff your overcoat with grenades.

Boss Raptor
16th Feb 2003, 15:00
The degree of delay described at LHR T2 is totally unacceptable - if pax. are to be subjected to this type of security then BAA should get enough staff manning enough scanning machines to do the job quickly and efficiently!

Whenever I regularly travel through LHR/LGW only 2 of the 5 or 6 scanning positions is actually in in service!!

I also noted on the BBC TV South news on Friday 14th they were telling everyone that the 'airports are advising people not to come early for check in, 2 hours for european and 3 hours for transatlantic' - great a potential 45 mins in the check in line followed by a further hour at security = flight closed at the gate by the time you get there!!!

Typical BAA - take the money i.e. the increased security charge and dont put on any extra manpower despite yet again inconveniencing passengers...all the travel agents I meet for marketing/feedback purposes and also our customer service staff tell me that passengers are getting more and more angry about this whole situation!!!

No doubt BAA will take notice when the sales at the airside retail outlets slumps as a result of pax. being delayed and going straight to the gate - only thing BAA seems to care about these days :*

bealine
16th Feb 2003, 19:52
Boss Raptor, whilst I am inclined to agree with you 'cos profit before performance is what you get in this day and age - probably even with your company, the poor Green Jacket brigade are doing the job as best they can.

It's not the BAA's fault - it's not ony the fact that the DETR have insisted on this removal of outdoor jacket policy, but also the fact that Delta, Continental etc are back accepting 18kg cabin bags (which a clever passenger can easily make 23/24kg). It is these trolley bags that take 45 seconds plus to go through the scanner - an often take more ('cos the Security screening person has to stop the belt and study the screen).

As far as staffing levels are concerned, no business would tolerate the increased security expenditure at a time when fares and revenue yields are in decline - it is pure business logic! However, now that the BAA are charging the airlines 16% more and receiving this "Security Tax", I agree that Investment in People would be appropriate!

However, until that happens, please keep your cabin baggage small!

Thanks!

timzsta
16th Feb 2003, 20:32
I am afraid that the BAA do have to take the some blame. I was on check in at Stansted this morning and the security que was the worst I have ever seen.

At 5am there was a short que. By 6 it was the longest I have seen, by 7 it was spread to every corner of the airport. Only at 730 did a BAA manager appear and start to call forward people for the early flights and start to use both the EU and Non EU channels. Totally unacceptable. And yes the reps from the charter airlines (I wont name and shame) were trying to get their passengers rushed to the front, no doubt the management of Ryanair, Buzz and Easyjet will have something to say about this.

The cause was that only half the security channels were open because BAA do not employ enough people to do the job because people cost money and cut into their profit. They get away with it on the basis of "security comes first". It does but that does not give them the cart blanche to cause chaos.

That said passengers must help themselves. We had a discussion on check in about going back to what we did post 9/11 - passengers check in all baggage, only coats on the aeroplane. The problem is people want to take their carry on, a handbag, shopping, umbrella, coat, bumbag, mobile and so on through with them. It all adds to the security task.

Given the security state at present arriving at check in just before closure at 30mins before departure as some people did and expecting to be rushed to the front of the que doesnt wash. Sorry you are not going to make it, we will not delay the flight, go to ticket desk and rebook. We do not inconvenience 130 pax for the sake of 5 who couldnt be bothered to allow enough time to get everything done. Its harsh, but its a harsh industry.

Boss Raptor
16th Feb 2003, 20:35
I now no longer carry a notebook computer...not worth the agro at security...I just insist that computers are provided to me at my places of work...bet the sale of notebooks may have taken a slump because of this security!

Agreed Bealine - when I see all 6 or is it 8 scanner positions manned at LGW South then any delay will cease to become BAA's fault in my mind - as u rightly say BAA should pump some of this increased revenue, as let's face it that's what it is, back into security personnel and infrastructure to pay to cover the new requirements...after all that is what the 'Security Tax' is supposed to be collected for!

Pigs and the BAA might fly... :mad:

PAXboy
16th Feb 2003, 21:09
Pigs and the BAA might fly...
Hey - Boss - you ain't suggesting that BAA and pigs have anything in common are you??? :p

BAA ... when I see a thread about them I want to leap on the keyboard and :yuk: all over them but then I remember that - it won't make any difference.

Next week, I arrive early at T3 but thanks for the warning as I have a BA to JFK in a couple of weeks out of T4.

Departures Beckham
17th Feb 2003, 10:51
At LHR you have a Tax-Free store in arrivals, how long before we get a Tax-Free store in the central search queue at STN?

brockenspectre
21st Feb 2003, 21:00
I think that folks with carry-on baggage should have their own queue(s) and those with a single handbag/similar should be processed more swiftly!

Just post 9/11 I recall being advised to have as carry-on only a small transparent bag containing my essential travel items .. why don't we continue with this? There either IS security or there isn't ...

I still think folks should travel in "flying suits" (would be good business for airlines with folks competing to buy the travel jog-suit of their favourite airline ) heheheh with minimal items in transparent travel "pouches" ... I personally don't care how minimalist my travel has to be, I still wanna go (and am, on Tuesday!!).

:D

PAXboy
21st Feb 2003, 22:05
Well, BS, I would prefer that pax had their items in transparent pouches... :D

I realise that some pax would need larger pouches than others and that some pouches might need to be made non-transparent for the sake of good order on board. I humbly offer myself as a pouch inspection officer. :cool: [X-ray spex]

I might start on my next flight, Saturday with VS from JNB (27 degs C.) to LHR somewhere near Zero at 06:30 Sunday. :uhoh:

ps I should make it clear that I am only interested in inspecting female pouches .... :O

chippy63
24th Feb 2003, 09:21
..and while we're at it, Fast Track has become a bit of a joke, and not a very funny one. Went out from T4 last Monday and also this morning, much quicker through the ordinary channel.
Incidentally, last Monday, about noon, a porter with two huge trolley loads of shopping and baggage accompanied by what looked like two C list types, simply barged up to the front of the FT line. Caused about 5 minutes delay to the line, only a single machine in use.:mad: :( :rolleyes:

Departures Beckham
24th Feb 2003, 10:46
It's improved a little at STN now that BAA have staff using megaphones to call soon to depart passengers to the front of the queues. As far as I could see they even had all machines operating yesterday, however this did result in VP8 (one of the two staff access points in the terminal) being closed all day to allow the staff assigned to this to operate central search.