PDA

View Full Version : Situation at Mexicana?

Squawk7777
15th Feb 2003, 04:59
I am wondering if there's anybody out there with some more accurate information. I was told that about 70 pilots got laid off a few months ago, and about 50 more are to follow.

Then I am told that the airline is doing great, new routes, new A319s etc. ? :confused:

Any chance to replace gossip with some facts?

MateoSix
20th Feb 2003, 02:37
Ay! 50 more? So far it is just a rumor...

Will now more in a few days...

Saludos!

Mateo6

buffalowing
4th Mar 2003, 11:07
I think the official strategy in MXA is to keep disinformation going as much as possible.
MXA pilots are already working to the limit. I donīt see how they could lay off anyone right now.

Triplesiete
24th Mar 2003, 18:34
Hello,

I have been talking to several pilots from Mexicana and they told me the same thing. That the situation is not good and that they might lay off some more pilots.

I also talked to AeroMexico pilots and they also say the situation isn`t great, but they seem a little more optimistic.

Regards,

Triplesiete

MateoSix
20th May 2003, 13:35
Sad news I haer from friends at Mexicana. 32 pilots will go by the end of may, another 32 in a month or two. 727s will be retired this month, thereīr only four in service. Some 727s are being cut into pieces, as I saw last week. Additionally a 10% pay-cut is being negotiated with fligth attendants.

jet4hire
8th Jun 2003, 04:30
Well, as you probably know by now; the airline industry in Mexico
has been affected by the general world economy posted (Wall Street Journal) and as a consequence the airline has been forced to furloughed about 70 pilots according to ASPA the pilots union for the mexican airlines.

As a former Aeromexico pilot now flying overseas I have been able to watch more closely the deteriorated and manipulated aviation industry in this country. The Sindicate is a threat and a virus to the spectrum of (political opinions) without superseding any strategic plans nor impulsing a new contengency plan; that will allowed the development of a more productive and attractive concept of operation for the top management executives or investors involved within the airlines. to review

The pilots "unfortunately" are dependants of a few Sindicate colleagues and leaders that do not have any adminstrative experience neither the business concept or a college degree education. In my personal opinion they are more (prima donnas) when it comes to negotiating a contract with the caliber executives that are well "aware" of the (ins and outs) of this industry.

My mentor to those aviator colleagues is that flying is a beautiful virus but bad mediocre management is a cancer: that kills it!

Aviators should take more control of the "complete operation" the SAFETY and the CUSTOMER SERVICE than "just the flying" they should be more aware of what it takes to make the airline a more productive and competitive and an enjoyable team concept environment company to work for it.

As an example:
The turn around and ground time, the cost of fuel and no savings, the bad service and the "prima donna concept" eg. ( the is not my job attitude) these all negative issues are reflected on a time consuming. It makes an airline less atractive for share holders and contributing passengers to invest and fly.

In the other hand the goverment should also help preserve this already hurt industry by including incentive programs with SCT, DGAC, ASA and their respective sindicates and to (exempt taxes to the domestic operation) that foreing airlines are excluded from. Insted to preclude their capability of growth. a non-union orgs. and trust employment benefit fund will be the solution.

Solamente mi humilde opinion Happy landings:ok:

jet4hire
11th Jun 2003, 05:33
aun no puedo creer que nadie comente en este forum mi propuesta!:cool:

buffalowing
13th Jun 2003, 04:25
Jet 4 hire:
From my experience I don't think alot of people look at this website from MXA. But it would be a good idea if they started to. Did you ever look at "la turbina" ? (I for one am glad it's off the air!)

Your contribution has valuable points like the detachment most pilots experience from the desicion making in the company, the flawed leadership by ASPA (union), and the economic downturn. But you don't mention the main culprit, the Mexican Government through CINTRA (holding company).
The '88 crisis was their doing and so is this, 9/11 and the economic downturn are just the governments excuses this time around to downsize.
You should also look at how Aeromexico (under CINTRA also) is clearly being treated very differently: brand new 737's and not only no lay-off's but even 16 pilots to be hired!
MXA pilots are right to be angry.

Hope the flying is smooth in the medio oriente
buen vuelo!

Mateo:
So now you've actually got FRIENDS in MXA? Hard to believe that when most of your posts are just bad-mouthing and mud-slinging at MXA.

jet4hire
13th Jun 2003, 12:26
You seem to have a pretty good understanding of what I have pinpointed in MX issues as well as the goverment situation among the somemany GOV secretarias and unions who are trying to run an airline, although what you mentioned about Cintra is still an investing group and don't forget these people are shareholders and they are going to drift tours the most profitable and covenient possible way to fracture one company to make the other one work.

But you are absolubtly right! and thanks for mentioned it. Did you remeber what was once mentioned about a fusion betwen the two companies but the MX pilots opposed to it.

Well, I hope that as you wrote that more people should read these forums and post and comment about it. Things will definately change and will make a big difference as when the real concept of "CRM" among the tribes, the companies and the rest of the world starts practicing it.

Feliz vuelo y hasta pronto:cool: guy