PDA

View Full Version : Help my decision please!!!

Murray_NN
14th Feb 2003, 23:05
I was wondering if anyone could help me to decide which school I should train with to pass my ATPL theory.

I have chosen the following two schools from a list, and will tell you why I have chosen them:

First is OATS distance learning
*good reputation
*only 50 miles away from home
*chance of doing my CPL, IR, IMC with them too

Bristol Ground school
*excellent reputation
*about 200 miles away from home
*large amount of reccomendation from ex students

I understand it will be better to go to OATS if I want to continue to do my CPL, IR and IMC with them. But I can also do the CPL, IR and IMC with Multiflight in Leeds. They seem to have a good reputation too.

Any reccomendation would be very much appreciated.

FL245
15th Feb 2003, 11:39
HI Murray_NN,

From my experience, I would sugguest you go to where you get the best value for money.

I done my writtens at ATA Coventry and could not recommend them enough. I Then did my BCPL/IMC and CPL upgrade at Oxford (1998/99) and would not have done it that way again.

I would have done my BCPL/IMC wherever I got the best deal and went to Oxford for the Upgrade course. The quality of the Upgrade course was much better than the BCPL/IMC at that time.

I have heard good reports regarding Multiflight, so have a good look at them, but dont rule out small/local schools for the BCPL/IMC, as in real terms you are never going to use this licence in its own right, but more of a step on to you fATPL.

To be honest I dont think going to Oxford helps you get a job/interview any quicker than any other school.

What matters is that you have the licence. They may ask at an interview where you did you IR, but the long and short of it is that it is broadly irrevelant.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

Its a fantastic job when you get there!

fdf
15th Feb 2003, 16:51
Hi Murray_NN

I am currently doing my ATPL distance learning with OATS and have been really pleased so far. The notes are really good, the virtual college is excellent and the staff are more than helpful. I have no technical or physics background and, as such, sometimes need a bit more help in certain subjects, and when I phone OATS for some assistance, they are always happy to help, patient, and they never make you feel stupid. Can't help you with BGS I'm afraid. Hope you manage to make your decision soon and get started. Good luck.

Murray_NN
15th Feb 2003, 22:20
Thanks for your info guys,

I am still undecided as to where to study.

OATS have the online college and BG has more interactive CD roms.

I am stuck!!!:confused:

Gin Slinger
15th Feb 2003, 23:33
Don't be such a pussy!

You may as well do your ATPLs at OATS - nearer to you, plus the chances are you'll get either Oxford or Gatwick as your exam venue. If you get Oxford you can book another week at your B&B, if you get Gatwick you can commute there from H/row area.

PS I passed with BGS without undue hassle. As I said, don't be such a pussy, 1000's before you have passed either way.

scroggs
16th Feb 2003, 09:49
If a decision as uncritical as this one is giving you so much trouble, are you sure you're mentally equipped to fly an aeroplane??!

OATS and BGS are both excellent schools with good reputations; there are many others. Many, many students of these schools have passed the ground exams with flying colours. Inevitably, ex-students will tend to promote their alma-mater, and why not. Remember, after you've got the exams, no-one cares whose course you used.

Your criteria should certainly include the reputation of the school, the impression you get of it having studied Pprune, your personal impression from talking to the school (you have talked to them, haven't you?) - or, even better, a visit to the school - and looking at their study material. After that, it's a case of value for money, payment methods, practicality, and non-school costs associated with the school's location - and, as you are looking at distance learning, this is a very small factor.

This isn't earth-shatteringly difficult stuff, though you make it sound so.

Scroggs
Virgin/Wannabes Moderator
[email protected]

P.S. You need to check your distances - Bristol is about 80 miles from Heathrow, not 200!

Murray_NN
16th Feb 2003, 22:20
Thanks for all your replies guys.

Scroggs: Thanks for reflecting an honest opinion. When I wrote about the schools, you were right to say that I did not mention allot of info about them. Although I have spoken to both of them and they are both equally best in their own ways. So therefor I posted a message here to see if anyone else could help with this rather uncritical decision of choosing the right school. After all who wants to spend their money unwisely? Above I have got very good replies from the members including yourself. You have also been very helpful in pointing out to me, to look for the advantages of schools for myself.

And finally, thanks for the distance reminder, to be precise its about 110 miles from LHR to Bristol.

FlyingForFun
17th Feb 2003, 08:45
I have to agree with Scroggs on this one. You've narrowed it down to the same last two as I did - they both have excellent reputations, and I'm sure that whichever you choose you'll be happy with.

For distance learning, the single most important thing is the quality of the notes - how easy you find them to follow and understand. Take a look at the notes from both schools, and then make your decision.

How far the school is from you, or from the exam centre, is really not relevant. You'll be making that trip twice - once for each module. Travelling a couple of hundred miles, twice, during the course of gaining your ATPL(f) really shouldn't be enough to put you off.

I'm not sure how relevant it is that you're thinking of doing the CPL/IR at Oxford. It certainly won't harm your progress to do them all at the same place, but I can't see that it would be a huge benefit either. I wouldn't let that make a huge difference to your choice, personally.

Good luck!

FFF
---------------

Hufty
17th Feb 2003, 10:16
I used Oxford - and I found them first class, however you still have to put the hours in wherever you go to get a good set of passes.

I thought their notes were excellent and no I don't work for them ;)

If you would like any more info, please PM me.