PDA

View Full Version : Horrido!

eeper
14th Feb 2003, 19:28
I was lucky enough to receive a signed copy of Guenther Rall's autobiography recently. On the front page he has written the word "Horrido".

I believe it is some sort of term or call used by Luftwaffe pilots, but does anyone know exactly what it means?

spekesoftly
14th Feb 2003, 21:18
"Horrido!" - the war cry of Luftwaffe fighter pilots.

Exact meaning? ........ suggest "Tally Ho" or something similar! ;)

eeper
14th Feb 2003, 22:39
I speak German and Horrido is not a word that I know. "Tally-ho" was my first thought, but that is actually a term to indicate that you have spotted an aircraft. Would "Banzai" be closer to the true meaning?

atb1943
14th Feb 2003, 23:34
It is indeed a hunting cry and deeply embedded in the hunting tradition. Here's a typical hunting song using 'horrido' as a refrain:

Ich bin ein freier Wildbretschütz

1. Ich bin ein freier Wildbretschütz und hab ein weit Revier.
Ich bin ein freier Wildbretschütz und hab ein weit Revier.
So weit die braune Heide geht, gehört das Jagen mir.
So weit die braune Heide geht, gehört das Jagen mir.
Horrido, - horrido, - horrido, horrido, horrido, (hussasa! )

2. So weit der blaue Himmel reicht, gehört mir alle Pirsch
So weit der blaue Himmel reicht, gehört mir alle Pirsch
Auf Fuchs und Has und Haselhuhn, auf Rehbock und auf Hirsch.
Auf Fuchs und Has und Haselhuhn, auf Rehbock und auf Hirsch.

3. Doch weiß ich ein feines Mägdelein, auf das ich lieber pirsch.
Doch weiß ich ein feines Mägdelein, auf das ich lieber pirsch.
Viel lieber als auf Has und Huhn, auf Rehbock oder Hirsch.
Viel lieber als auf Has und Huhn, auf Rehbock oder Hirsch.

4. Und dass sie einem andern gehört, macht keine Sorge mir.
Und dass sie einem andern gehört, macht keine Sorge mir.

Alte deutsche Volksweise, Text von Hermann Löns

Wasn't that nice....?!

Dr Illitout
15th Feb 2003, 17:28
I have seen references to the word "pauke" (not sure of the exact spelling!) being used by German pilots on an attack run and, I'm told this is also a hunting term meaning "bang the kettle drum". I wonder if our German speaking friend could enlighten me on this one too??.
There does seem to be a lot of hunting references through out the Luftwaffer. :confused:

atb1943
16th Feb 2003, 16:39
Hmmm

Pauke is a kettledrum
Pauken is to cram, swot, as in for an exam.

Auf die Pauke hauen (to beat the drum) means in its idiomatic form to have a binge.

So you can imagine Galland and co saying, C'mon chaps, lass uns auf die Pauke hauen, as they swooped into attack. Let's get at 'em!

Hope this helps.
cheers

ORAC
16th Feb 2003, 16:48
The Meaning of Pauke

Pauke, Pauke! is the code signal that radio operators in the Luftwaffe radioed to ground control when ready to attack a ground-guided or radar-guided interception. The meaning is "pulse" for the enemy a/c appeared as a pulse in the screen of the radar of the operator. Pauke, Pauke! The German night fighters resource page (http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/7404/main.html).

Horrido!:
The term is derived from the, reputed, patron saint of hunters and fighter pilots, St Horridus. The kill call served two functions. One was the celebration of victory over the enemy. The second was to draw attention to the kill so the kill could be confirmed more easily by witnesses.

Nopax,thanx
17th Feb 2003, 12:43
Apparently the cry 'Indianer!' as in 'Injuns!' was used to warn that enemy aircraft had been spotted - they were fans of Wild west adventures, much the same as any other young men of that time.

Dr Illitout
17th Feb 2003, 17:46
Thanks very much. I love the "little bits" of aviation history that often gets ignored by historians as they write "another"history of WW2.
Rgds Dr I.

Steepclimb
19th Feb 2003, 00:50
Curiously I first heard those terms in Microsoft's Combat flight simulator when flying Luftwaffe aircraft. I wondered at the derivation at the time. Naturally the British terms get an airing too. The 'Indianer' cry I found rather touching really. Most WW2 pilots were little more than boys after all, on every side.

I have often wondered at the feelings of the WW2 Luftwaffe pilots who joined the post war Luftwaffe,particularly when they visited the Britain on course or exercises or whatever. It must have been rather odd. I must buy Rall's book.

B767300ER
22nd Feb 2003, 22:37
I have a fantastic book titled "Horrido", with subtitle: Luftwaffe Aces Of WWII. It is a smashingly good read, and well worth the price. I believe the 2nd poster had it right---"Tally-Ho" for the Luftwaffe.

Lu Zuckerman
23rd Feb 2003, 01:50
I have often wondered at the feelings of the WW2 Luftwaffe pilots who joined the post war Luftwaffe,particularly when they visited the Britain on course or exercises or whatever. It must have been rather odd.

I was teaching classes to Aviation Maintenance Officers at Fort Eustis, Virginia. This class was made up of foreign officers. Each officer would in turn stand up and introduce themselves. When it was a Luftwaffe Colonels’ turn he introduced himself saying that this was his second visit to Fort Eustis. He indicated that his first visit was as a prisoner of war.

:cool: