View Full Version : Australian Pilots?

Pitot-tube03
14th Feb 2003, 19:16
Hello,

I am a Canadian looking into the possibility of making a move to Australia. I am in need of some feedback on how the pilot job situation is in Australia? I have heard conflicting opinoins on this issue, I would really like to hear more info before I book the flight over!!
I will have close to 1000hrs by the time I make the move, I also hold my Multi-Ifr with Instructor rating!

Hope to hear some replies!:D :D

TurboOtter
15th Feb 2003, 04:25
So what happened. Cold winter now the job you had lined up fell through????
I know a fair canadian pilots that allways seem to be looking for work this time of year, then next spring the dump the aussie job and head home for a cushy job...........

Well good luck, there are heaps of jobs down here! Not.....

If you are seriuos about wanting to move then maybe just move and find out when you get here:cool:

Sheep Guts
15th Feb 2003, 14:16
Pitot,
I basically agree with Turbo , but with not so much zest. As in Canada when Canada 3000 went down, and put a multitude of qualified people on the market. The same happened here, with Ansett Airlines. So really the our countries are in the same position, but since Canada 3000 was in 1999 and Ansett fell Sept 14, 2001 we are probabaly still hurting.

You will have to convert your licence. The details for that are here: www.casa.gov.au look under licencing foreign conversions.

You would also however have to go through immigration check and have to aquire a work permit, if you not an Aussie Citizen allready.See the Australian High Commision or Consul in your area.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Sheep

p.s. There are A320 Captains flying Chieftains here at the moment. Your 1000HRS with CIR wont put on a pedestal! Just a word of warning.:eek:

Tinstaafl
15th Feb 2003, 14:18
Oz market is broadly similar to Canada, as far I can tell.

Large area encouraging the use of GA but commonly small operators in the middle of nowhere.

small population severely limiting the number of turbine/jet airlines. This also caps career movement leaving many experienced pilots in GA

cheap(ish) to learn to fly so hundreds of low experienced CPLs flooding the market.

The end result is a buyers market when you're selling your skills.