PDA

View Full Version : Raising funds

Andrew M
13th Feb 2003, 22:34
:confused:

The only flying experience I have is a one hour trial lesson - then I was hooked.

Now I would like a career in aviation and I don't know where to start. Where would I raise funding to even get a PPL to then get sponsored ?

Ian_Wannabe
13th Feb 2003, 23:18
Hi,
I'll try my best as I'm only a 40hr student PPL, so I dont have first hand experience of getting funds for training after the PPL, only knowledge passed onto me by pro. pilots.

The first thing which is always worth a shot for the PPL is a loan from your family of about £5,000 - £6,000 if you're doing your PPL in the UK. If you have very kind parents who wish to give you the best chance possible then they may even pay this for you from their own pocket.... it does happen! (thank you mum and dad!!)

So now, you've got your PPL and you want to go onwards, well from talking to other pilots who have their CPL they told me this.

Get your IMC, Night rating, Multi, etc. from working as either a operations manager at the local flying school etc aswell as working in various other small jobs - even Tescos!!.

Then when you're working to save money, get your Instructors rating so you can be paid to fly, and also get experience and hours in your log book.

Also with trying for a operations job you may even get money knocked off the fuel etc. as you'll probs be flying out of the school you manage etc. So that's a bonus.

Then once you've saved and saved and saved you can increase your savings with a nice 'Career Development Loan' from banks such as HSBC. I beleive this only gives you £8,000 max, but its better than nothing and they concentrate on funding wannabe commercial pilots.

Ofcourse if you can apply to the airlines and get that life-long sponsorship deal then you dont have to worry about the costs...... as much :rolleyes:

Hope this helps, and anyone else please feel free to correct me and add anything I missed.

Fly safe,

Ian

tomcs
14th Feb 2003, 20:51
Hi, Andrew...although i have been lucky in being provided with most of my funds so far i have still been doing work anywhere and whenever i can. I was at Uni studying Avionic Systems engineering but i got bored and I am now studying for the ATPL writtens.

I only have 120 hours TT, but a night and IMC (well...nearly IMC I have the test this weekend).

I also know a bloke at my club who works for the club and has just completed his PPL!...without paying for it...he just has to work the deficit off...by doing free work.

Aim for PPL, Night, IMC and multi before thinking about getting any sort of loan.

And remember you have to have a CPL before you can instruct!

Cheers

Tom

redsnail
15th Feb 2003, 13:30
Ok Andrew,
The bug's bitten you and you really want to fly.
I would take a long hard look at this forum and find out as much as you can about the industry before you spend a single penny.
Don't believe the various flying school's sales pitch about the up and coming retirement bubble, it isn't going to happen. Don't believe them when they say that there's a shortage of pilots. There isn't in the 200 hr category. (There is a shortage of licensed aircraft engineers- maintenance)
The cold hard truth is that by and large, most people who embark on this flying career either never make it or never really get a "good job" ie one that lets you buy a house and eat as well.
Learn as much about the job as you can. Try to get a clear understanding of the job so you won't be disappointed later on. Find out about long haul, short haul, regional, night freight, instructing. Whatever takes your fancy. Find out the most probably career path and what it will cost. Bear in mind that the expense unfortunately doesn't stop at the end of the CPL. At the moment, many are considering type ratings to help them get a shot at a job.

Part 2.
People recommend Clive Hughs's book about becoming a CPL. Also, I'd pick up the LASORs book from the CAA. It's cheap.
Now sketch out a plan and cost out each stage. If you can afford to go full time, great. Most of us can't, so map out the part time or modular route. (Less risk financially too). Then pop down to the CAA and do a class one medical. I think it still costs 400 quid.
No point in going any further if you can't pass that.

To sum up.
Research the industry
Plan and cost that out and add 50% to the time and at least 30% to the cost again!!!
Do a medical.

Good luck.

Andrew M
15th Feb 2003, 14:52
I found this a great website for people who want to work as a pilot.

It is called AVJobs.com. It's address is:

http://www.avjobs.com

Here you can find out all the information about finding schools, rasing funds etc.

planepeanuts
15th Feb 2003, 17:51
Hi,
If redsnail reads this is there any chance he could give some more info on the LASOR's book from the CAA - I can't find it on the website. Thanks a lot.

redsnail
15th Feb 2003, 22:04
Andrew M, p-message me again, it didn't get through.
How to find the money? Work as many jobs as you can. Don't go on holidays, eat out sparingly, don't own a flash car. Budget budget and budget. Study part time, work full time.

Planepeanuts, (I'm not a he but you weren't to know)
LASORS was published in 2002. It is intended to be valid for a year so long as you check with the current regs. LASORS therefore should be available for 2003. It is an advisory document on all UK/JAR FCL's.
LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=292)

Andrew M
15th Feb 2003, 22:21
The PMessage was nothing important - I was actually trying to post another message to this forum but I'm a new user and I pressed the wrong thing.

I just wanted to say thank you for the information. I have Clive Hughes' book (Guide to getting a CPL) and it is quite useful.

I would recommend it to anyone wanting to get a CPL, especially if you are trying to decide between the integrated or modular route.