PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

Andrew M
13th Feb 2003, 21:27
:confused:

As I am only sixteen, I am too young to train to get a CPL/ATPL, but can start training to get a PPL.

What I would like to know is why are my friends getting to university, which costs money and they have lots of debt to pay afterwards, but there is no such help for me ???

I would love to be a commerical pilot - expecially cargo. I think I fit the bill perfectly. I like visiting new places, enjoy being awake during the night and spending the day sleeping, and can perform under stress.

I have quizzed GAPAN and the RAeSociety, but the answers aren't very useful.

By the way, this is my first post on PPRuNe !!!

parris50
16th Feb 2003, 19:47
Raising the cash is always a problem but there are ways. My brother is a little older but was in a similar predicament.

However, he managed to get a bank loan for to cover nearly all the training. He paid for his PPL himself and the bank has agreed to loan him the rest and don't require repayments until a year after the training is finished. Our parents had to act as guarantors meaning that if he fails to pay the loan off, they will have to - but at least they have equity in a house.

It might be worth doing the GAPAN aptitude tests and if they think you are good enough, that would be something to tell your bank manager. The test cost £150 and take a day. You get an assessment of your potential on the day.

Also if you got your class 1 medical (£400) beforehand that would show some committment to your bank manager as well as giving you some assurance that you are healthy enough to be a commercial pilot.

Hope this helps

Andrew M
16th Feb 2003, 22:17
Thank you for the info - I may actually contact GAPAN for more information regarding the aplitude test. That would proberly help get finance for training.