PDA

View Full Version : "Pro-Biotics"

MMEMatty
13th Feb 2003, 20:56
Hi All

I'm not sure if this should be here or in Medical (If so my sincere apologies) but i thought since it is a question this was probably the best place.

"Pro-Biotic" yoghurts seem to be all the rage these days, everyone is talking of the benefits of "good bacteria" (at least in the UK), and i was wondering, are they really that good?
Does it help a healthy balanced diet?
Do you only take a dose as such of one a day for a week, or should you drink them continuously?

I have to say i tried one, tasted like watered down yoghurt, not that bad but 1 a day is enough i think, thankyou very much.

Matty

AerBabe
13th Feb 2003, 21:01
It's widely debated whether many of the bacteria actually make it as far as your stomach without being digested. A good alternative to over-priced tablets is to eat foods which encourage the growth of these bacteria in your stomach, such as leeks, onions, wholemeal bread, oats, fruit and artichokes (I think. Who cares, they're tasty anyway!). The fruit should be as fresh as possible. You'll probably find a few... side-effects... if you're not used to eating lots of this kind of food. Best not to go camping with anyone you care about in the first few weeks. ;)

tom775257
13th Feb 2003, 22:14
Certain antibiotics lead to the death of the natural gut dwelling bacteria. This is a known problem and people are researching ways to modify common antibiotics so that they are inactive in the gut. Eating these yoghurts after a course of antibiotics might help you out with re-stocking the gut! Otherwise probably pointless…

Tinstaafl
14th Feb 2003, 22:42
Ask the seller for the peer reviewed, placebo controlled double blind study.

If the answer is anything vaguely similar to "Huh?" or "That doesn't prove anything." then walk out. With your money, not the watery yoghurt.

On the hand, if you like the stuff, eat as much as you like!