PDA

View Full Version : CPL training on a part time/weekend basis

Mintflavour
13th Feb 2003, 19:10
Just a little advise from people who have or attempted to do a CPL (A) part time or on a weekend basis. I know it will be more difficult than full time training, but in the current market I feel that there is no rush, and I will like to keep my enginering job in the mean time to earn the penny's, to pay fo the training and stay out of the red. Currently studying ATPL module 2 and just want to test the water for the CPL(A) training.

I would like to hear from anybody who did or attempted the CPL(A) on a part time or weekend basis, and interested to know how they managed, time taken to complete, any extra financial implications, etc.

I have already asked for unpaid leave in order to do the course but I was denied.

Cheers

Mint

Tinstaafl
13th Feb 2003, 21:35
How much flying experience do you have already?

The greater your experience base, the less your skill will deteriorate between each lesson. Of course the more you get rusty between each lesson, the more of each subsequent lesson will be spent regaining the lost skill before proceeding to the new content.

This effect is most marked in your ab-initio training, especially in the pre-solo stage.

If full time flying is not a realistic option then the next best is to do full time portions eg to first solo consolidation or start of nav. training, then another concentrated batch for PPL level nav. and so on for each stage with a break between each for work commitments.

If doing this through out your training is still problematical then at least try to do it up to first solo consolidation ie a few solo hours past first solo.

You would reach the standard eventually if you didn't do any of this, but there is a very high probability that your eventual flight time to achieve a standard will be higher, costing more $$$.

Use the non-flying periods to study the theory side. Try to get through at least enough theory to cover the next stage, further if you can. Don't fly if you don't know the relevent theory. Bumbling around in the air is a very expensive way to learn why you should do xyz.

Unless you particularly wish to go for yippee flight between each full time/nearly full time stage (the work 'breaks') then don't bother flying. Your skill level will return within a couple or few hours when you start each next stage.

The more experience you have the longer you will be able to not fly before a noticeable skill degradation will occur and the quicker your skills will return once flying is resumed. This will apply during your training, not just once your licenced.

Good luck!

Mintflavour
14th Feb 2003, 08:01
My experience:
over 135TT, about 78 P1, IMC, Most of my flying done in the UK, Been over the channel and channel Islands flown to Ireland. A small number of hours in touring Florida.

Mark 1
14th Feb 2003, 14:16
I think Tinstaafl is talking about PPL rather than CPL training.

I was also considering the part-time route, and found a school/instructor willing to do it that way.

However I still intended to try and do the last 10 hours complex and 170a test training as an intensive (say 1 week) push.

The early part of the course should really be refinement of handling and instrument skills rather than learning new skills, so more amenable to ad-hoc sessions.

I've now managed to get a 3 week vacation though, so am going the full time modular route.

If you're combining it with MEP (28 hour course), I'd guess that continuity would be even more important.

parris50
16th Feb 2003, 13:20
I'm not quite sure what stage you are at but am assuming that you have your PPL, night rating, ATPL theory and 150 hours (100 P1) i.e. you are ready to start the CPL course.

I have done all my training so far on a part time basis. I started the CPL(A) course and trained at weekends and holidays and found that it worked well for me. There is a possible advantage in having more time between flights as it gives you a chance to think things through more and to learn your checklist. I even went as far as buying photographic VFR scenery for FS2002 for practising the nav. I used FS2002 for practising the diversion, which you will do with the screens up.

Well, as I said, it worked for me and I passed the skills test last month!

MorningGlory
17th Feb 2003, 08:54
Similar story to Parris50.

Did my CPL part time, worked full time monday to friday as an engineer, flew only on Saturdays for the first 12hrs which took about 10weeks, then took two weeks paid holiday and did the 5hrs sim and 8hrs complex, passed 1st time.

Did the course at Stapleford Flight Centre, had no problems, very professional, competitively priced, and so did the IR there too (full time tho)!

Mintflavour
19th Feb 2003, 14:26
Thanks for the responses so far.

Is there any more advise out there

cheers

Mint

Doghouse
19th Feb 2003, 21:20
I think Tinstaafl is right - try doing the training in chunks. But it should be possible part-time and at weekends.

The problem will be finding somewhere to do it. My guess is you'd be better off going to the smaller schools or clubs who do CPL as well as PPL. A good friend of mine did it all at weekends with no problems but he was friends with his instructor, so the instructor came in on his weekends. The club mentioned in a previous post sounds good - you could also try Aeros at Glos or Old Sarum near Salisbury.

If it's at all possible, take a week's leave to complete the training, so the end of the training has continuity.

Tinstaafl
19th Feb 2003, 21:56
Mark 1,

Not correct. I'm referring to ALL training. The principle applies throughout.

Wee Weasley Welshman
19th Feb 2003, 22:16
Yeah I think weekend CPL modules are viable. As people have said its largely a matter of finding a school/instructor willing to do it. One of the great attractions of teaching for the Commerical ratings is that its mostly 9-5 Mon-Fri....

Also by not being on the full time regular course you will miss on the opportunity of bouncing of fellow course mates. This is invaluable as inevitably fellow student on the same course can often convey some element of the course better to you than any instructor. Fellow studes also provide a useful morale boost, incentive and their comradeship makes the whole process more of a positive event.

Good luck,