PDA

View Full Version : Flights from LGW North suspended....

Localiser Green
13th Feb 2003, 14:49
So says the Beeb... anyone know more?

ghost-rider
13th Feb 2003, 15:00
According to our handlers there, a box of hand-grenades was found in the North Terminal ( allegedly ).

All flights to be operated from the South Terminal TFN.

Dangerous_Dave
13th Feb 2003, 15:36
Found this in the latest edition of the Argus. 13/02/2003.

Things are getting a bit mad at the moment.

Bomb alert at airport
by our news team

Thousands of people were evacuated when the discovery of a suspect device closed part of Gatwick Airport this afternoon.

Workers found a suspicious device, believed to be a live hand grenade, on the second floor of the North Terminal.

Security staff cleared the building at 2pm and any flights which had not checked in were grounded.

Flights not already in holding patterns were diverted to other airports.

About 2,000 people were involved in the evacuation, which came hours after shadow home secretary Francis Maude raised fears of the airport being a 'soft target' for terrorists.

Passengers, many with small children and luggage trolleys, were shepherded to Le Meridien Hotel, connected to the North Terminal.

Most were bewildered and all would most certainly have missed their flights.

A Sussex Police spokesman said the terminal was evacuated shortly after 2pm.

He said he was not yet sure how many people had been moved and how long the security operation would last.

He said: "Every so often something happens to trigger a security alert. We are following fairly standard plans and procedures.

"We have evacuated some bits of the terminal and there might be a knock-on effect for roads in and around the area."

ajamieson
13th Feb 2003, 16:36
4 POLICE Terror Gatwick 1734GMT 13FEB03
(reopens)
The man arrested at Gatwick Airport was a Venezuelan national and was believed to be carrying a live grenade, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said tonight.
(mfl)

ghost-rider
13th Feb 2003, 16:51
Sky News reporting ALL flights from LGW grounded since 1500GMT ! :rolleyes:

Crap ! South Terminal is operating as normal ( ish ).

Apparantly ( although this is from Sky as well ! ), the Venezualan arrived from Columbia on a BA flight !

Chocks Wahay
13th Feb 2003, 17:24
BBC:

Police have arrested a man carrying a live hand grenade at Gatwick Airport and evacuated one terminal.
All flights out of the north terminal were suspended after the man - thought to be a 37-year-old Venezuelan - was detained under anti-terrorism laws.

Hundreds of passengers are still inside planes stranded on the runway and outbound flights have been suspended, although flights are still able to land.

The man's baggage was searched after his arrival on a British Airways flight from Colombia, Sussex Police said.

Full story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2757143.stm)

Squawk7777
13th Feb 2003, 17:33
Hang on a sec...

He was searched after the flight? So he had the grenade with him during the flight from Bogota to Gatwick? :confused: :confused: :confused:

What company does BA use for security in Columbia? Does BA have additional security there?

Do we now have to worry about about FARC, too?

dolphin
13th Feb 2003, 18:43
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't BA been advertising 100% worldwide baggage screening for a year or so now?

Wouldn't like to be in Rod Eddington's shoes when the press start asking questions as to how this was allowed to happen!

Buster the Bear
13th Feb 2003, 20:08
So how do you get past security and bag screens, fly across the Atlantic, then land in the UK to then get caught in arrivals with a hand grenade in your bag?

Weird or what!

Never had my bags searched in arrivals, but once did so in customs. This must be area being referred too?

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/misc/eek2.gif

welkyboy
13th Feb 2003, 20:35
It was found by customs who seem to have a healthy interest in flights from Colombia for other reasons

Anti-ice
13th Feb 2003, 21:01
Unreal ,and very lucky that no incident occured.

Time for security to be heavily looked at at outstations too.

Why do all these threads keep getting moved ???
Surely this qualifies as: to quote :

"Rumours and News that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots" ??

Tinstaafl
13th Feb 2003, 21:11
Just reported on BBC news:

A man was arrested at Gatwick after a live handgrenade was found in his luggage.

He had just arrived from Caracas (I think) and was stopped through customs for a random search.

Airport closed etc etc

Buster the Bear
13th Feb 2003, 21:46
Airline and airport operators do not see security as a valued added part of the business (No swift profit from this essential airport function). They employ the best value company to their profits!

Profits, that is the problem, the banks have invested big time in airports and want a quick 'buck'

Now I wonder, If opened an airport with an emphasis on security, but folk would have to pay for the feeling of security via their ticket, would my airport function (And make a profit for my shareholder) long term (Long term, no company views profits long term, fast buck now!)?

The problem is that airports generally see security provision as a negative to their profits. Airport have slashed terms and conditions to security staff, driving the most experienced away from this vital job, but there are plenty of low paid willing to try the torturous hours and give up soon after. Poor pay and crap hours. Monkeys, peanuts and ****e service come to mind!

10 years ago, I would not have posted the above as the major airport operators were not dividend and share priced focused.

The BAAAAAA and local councils ran airports rather well then considering what we know now? Security staff were seen as in integral part of the business, like the fire service, but profits have shrouded their views, not many local councils have any real influence over their local airport, so cannot influence security locally.

When I fly, I want to feel safe, the ticket price falls into insignificance then, but would I fly if my airline surcharged me for costs to them to keep me safe and would I believe them or the airport?

Airports 10 years ago had a career full of individuals securing our flights. The most modern technology cannot make up for very poor salaried staff overseeing airport security currently, as the saying goes, "You get what you pay for"!!!

Next the airport operators will be looking for state provided assistance for airport security, dinosaurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pinkie
13th Feb 2003, 22:11
I think B.A. should follow Air France's example.
Recently, I had to fly from Mauritania to Paris with Air France, and was very impressed with their security. They fly with on board baggage security checkers, who check ALL hand baggage at the bottom of the aircraft steps, before allowing anyone on board. This is independent of any checks carried out in the terminal.
If they can manage this, why not B.A.? Especially now, with the extra terrorist warnings.

Sven Sixtoo
13th Feb 2003, 22:15
Having been in the circuit at Redhill at the time and seen the qs on the M23 I can quite believe it!

Time to spare , go by ...

Sven

Buster the Bear
13th Feb 2003, 23:13
That added security check needs staff!

Are UK pax prepared to pay for this robust procedure via thier ticket cost?

Capt Pit Bull
14th Feb 2003, 00:44
This could have been a really terrible incident!!

Imagine what would have happened if he had got through with a pair of Nail Scissors!!

Thank god it was only a hand grenade.

CPB:rolleyes:

zed3
14th Feb 2003, 05:40
What I can't understand is why shut the airport.....the guy was inbound . Isolate the guy and maybe the whole content of THAT flight , secure the grenade which was found by Customs and carry on. Or am I wrong?.....discuss.

LTNman
14th Feb 2003, 06:00
I was just thinking that myself. So a hand grenade is found by customers, is the entire terminal now in grave danger for the rest of the day? Don’t think so. A bad case of over reaction me thinks.:{ :{

rupetime
14th Feb 2003, 08:22
Its takes a brave man to open a suitecase, find a live hand grenade and allow the terminal to continue to operate as normal, what if there were others that got through.

However when all said and done im rather relieved that it turns out to be isolated and within reason "a non terrorist event" not linked to Al-quida or Iraq.

rt