PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear... Now what should I do?

Nishko
13th Feb 2003, 14:46
Hello folks,

Well, I'm a bit down in the dumps.

I left my computing job a couple of years ago and borrowed a load of money for flight training. Unfortunately due to delays and unexpected expenses etc, I have run out of cash before getting my IR done. My plan has gone horribly wrong.

Here's what I have got:

JAR ATPL passes (with about 24 months left till expiry)
JAR CPL
Multi/Night
Unrestricted Flight instructor rating.

I have around 500 hours TT
170 hours FI
20 Hours Multi....... blah blah....

I have been instructing my socks off for the last 5 months, but the work is drying up rapidly. I have also done a bit of co-pilot/pilot assistant work for a company doing air ambulance stuff. However, with a large debt to repay, a mortgage and bills I am getting further and deeper into debt, and it would appear that I have no chance of getting a serious flying job until I have an IR.

The bottom line is that I cannot borrow any more money until I have paid some of the debt off. But I can't do that until I have earned some money. Trying to find part time work elsewhere that is flexible enough to fit in with the instructing is near impossible.

Basically, I appear to be in 'coffin corner'. I am right on the brink of giving it all up and cutting my losses, but obviously that's the last thing I want to have to do, but I have run out of ideas.

Has anyone else out there had a similar experience, and can you persuade me to hang in there? Where can I find someone who'll lend me an IR for a few years!???! It's depressing to think that all of the hard work along with the dream (not to mention the money) is near to going up in smoke..... Yup, I'm feeling sorry for myself, but I've been trying hard not to, honest!
:confused:

Nish.

FlyingForFun
13th Feb 2003, 15:43
Nish,

You need that IR before your exam credits run out! Funding that has to be your top priority at the moment, and if the bank manager has been squeezed to the limits, you might have to go back to IT, short term at least.

You didn't say exactly what it was you did in the computing world. This will determine how easy it's going to be. You'll have trouble getting permanent work if potential employers realise you just want to get your IR and then leave them. But there's not very much contract work around at the moment. Either way, you may have to send yourself on a couple of courses to bring yourself up to date with the technology. It's not going to be easy - but it is slightly less hard to find an IT job than a flying job at the moment.

Make sure you stick with the flying, though. Rent a spam-can every few weeks to stay current, whilst putting the bulk of the money in the bank. Once there's enough in the bank for the IR, take some time off and get the rating. Once you have your frozen ATPL, you can start looking for serious flying jobs... but you'll still have your other job to pay the bills, which will be essential because although you'll get an offer eventually, it won't come quickly.

That's what I'd do in your situation. It's not the only way of tackling the problem, but I think it's the one which will cause you the least stress, and also get your career moving as quickly as possible.

Good luck!

FFF
--------------

Flying Farmer
13th Feb 2003, 15:45
Hi
hope I'm not going to make things worse here.
Same as you but got the IR, all first time passes except IR etc, etc.
Money worries, got a shed load,will have to sell house again within 3 to 6 months if no flying job, glad I have an understanding wife!!
Waited 10 months so far without a sniff of a job, lucky to be instructing really.
What to do? remember why you started down this road, when you get there it will be worthwhile.Stay optomistic and keep the end goal in sight, to late to give up now.
See you up there one day and best of luck.

FF

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th Feb 2003, 15:51
Get out of flying right now. Get earning some money ASAP - suggest manual labouring, £500 a week cash easily if you poke about a bit and don't tell the taxman. Get you IR in the Spring and attack the job market with renewed vigour.

Coffin corner is a good description of your current situation.

I have seen it many times and it is such a shame. My former CFI and someone to whom I aspired at one point has left aviation to become a Gas Fitter. Probably 4000hrs in his logbook but needs to earn proper money....

Good luck,

Tinstaafl
13th Feb 2003, 20:51
Forget trying to keep current unless there is flying work that will result from it. You will regain your skills within a couple of hours of starting training for your IR.

Flying 'to keep current' without a a need for it will waste your money.

Get a job - any job, a series of jobs, multiple jobs, whatever - and save for an IR. If reducing your debt is likely to give you a loan extension then consider that.

Without the IR your ATPL exams will lapse. With the IR you gain 7 years, resetting at each renewal.

You ultimately have to decide if you really want to be flying.

Wireless
14th Feb 2003, 07:32
The best I can come up with involves more money.

You could do as I did and train for a Heavy Goods Licence. A licence allowing you to drive a rigid lorry (i.e not an artic) will cost about £800 and take a week to train for. I went on to do an artic licence which costs a lot more (£2k) and requires more training but there is no need if you only need money short term, although there is better money on artics.

There is stacks of work with lots of driving agencies. Most will allow you to work on any day you like. You can earn between £400-£600 a week and you will not have to dodge the Inland Revenue.

Not a very good suggestion as I know you have no money (sorry!)

Bill

no sponsor
14th Feb 2003, 10:53
I agree with www. Get out and get a proper job, perhaps even two jobs, and work your pants off for a year. Save and pay-off some of your debt. In one years time, you will still have 12 months to go to get your IR, and could get it done in a couple of months.

Avoid those debt management companies too.

Nishko
14th Feb 2003, 13:57
I'm glad to hear some constructive advice.... I was a little concerned that you'd all scream at me to give it up!

I can't argue with anything that's been said. I will try and figure out a way to make it all worth while. And yes, I really do want to be flying :D

N

foghorn
14th Feb 2003, 14:43
You know, people higher up the industry, when asked what is the best way for a newly-qualified low hours pilot to progress to an airline job on the background of a crappy job market, always respond 'stay in the industry'.

However the reality of the situation is that a complete dearth of opportunities often causes many people to get in the situation that you find yourself in at the moment, Nishko. You've done your best to stay in the industry and work your way up, and external events have conspired against you.

At this moment in time I really am sorry for you, Nishko. Even though I often look with jealousy to those with flying jobs from my current uninspiring but well-paid IT job, wondering whether I made the right choice to get out of aviation (temporarily I hope), I look at your situation and think 'but for the grace of god go I'. Had I accepted the conventional wisdom and stayed in the industry when I qualified back in September 2001, rather than running away to pay off my debts, I'd probably be in a similar position by now. However I'm out of the industry, not flying much, despite my best efforts losing currency, not building that network, missing any opportunities that might come along etc. etc.

The reality is that there is never an easy route in. We all paid our money and took our choices. It's been pretty crap recently either way. All the best mate, you deserve a big break in the near future, as do us all.

cheers!
foggy.

IceHouse
14th Feb 2003, 18:37
I Have to agree with the other guys, get out flying until things pick up and pay your debts off in the meantime.
I myself got a frozen ATPL 3 yrs ago, unable to secure work I then completed the FI rating 11 months ago, and still unable to secure any form of work full or part time, I now instruct only a few hours a week for the benefit of mates.
Meanwhile I've kept working as a Loadmaster throughout and paid all my debts off, bought a new car, renewed my IR and booked a holiday..and no I don't want to pay 17k for a 737 type raing, enough is enough.

DA50driver
14th Feb 2003, 20:55
You seem to be at a defining point of your career. I was in a similar position and I worked 3 jobs for 18 months to get out of the hole and in a position to advance again.
I had no life during that time, and it was hard to stay motivated. But now, looking back, it was all worth it.
I urge you to look forward and do not give up. There is nothing better than grabbing a handful of throttles in the morning. It beats carpentry, it beats being a DJ in a smoky danceclub and it beats driving the bakery delivery truck. I have done them all, they are all good honest jobs, but my current job is better. The only downside is worrying about loosing my medical and having to work for a living again.

Go do whatever it takes.

Onan the Clumsy
14th Feb 2003, 21:39
Nishko, you don't have to give up the dream. You might have to put it aside for a while, but that's not the same as giving it up.

Get some dough coming in. Keep the contacts up and remember, it's all about being in the right place at the right time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

GASH !
16th Feb 2003, 15:24
Don't overlook a non flying aviation job.

I work as a dispatcher, and whilst the money isn't great it does
keep you in touch with what's going on in the airline world.

You may also build up some useful contacts, and whilst we nearly have as many ATPL holders (working as dispatchers) as the airline in the office next to us, it does at least keep you in the loop.

Stu Bigzorst
16th Feb 2003, 21:58
Nishko,

Where are you based? Our airline is looking for a (cheap) IT person... Email or PM me, with your CV and IT experience if poss.

No promises,

Stu

Edited for moronic typo

witchdoctor
17th Feb 2003, 14:09
You could always try moving oop north. Plenty of IT jobs in our local paper and part time instructors jobs going at the local airport. All the instructors I know all hold down another job anyway and do the flying bit for fun.

Cheap beer, cheap houses, empty roads, empty skies, but ugly women. Still it could be worse.

And me, unemployed bum with fATPL.:O

Nano 763
17th Feb 2003, 16:54
I'll give you another angle.

I left aviation for three years, when I was only twenty hours away from my CPL. Had I finished back then, I might be an Airbus340 Captain now. (I might not have been of course.) I worked as a taxi driver (very fun, funny work), in sales and as a bookshop manager.

I think that your best bet if you want to be a professional pilot is to sell the house, (one less debt and savings back in your pocket.) and go for it.

STAY IN THE INDUSTRY.

You will make it in the end, as you already seem well on your way. You might get your dream offer next month. Or, if you are in a dingy office doing IT, they might decide that you don't really like aviation after all, and give that corporate/airline jet job to someone else.

Good luck

Nano 763