PDA

View Full Version : Student solo gone wrong!

Islander Jock
13th Feb 2003, 03:30
Not sure if this link has been posted before.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ian.fallon/movies/helo.wmv

Anyone know if the pilot survived?

Chris Cooper
13th Feb 2003, 05:16
I've seen this before on rec.aviation.rotorcraft.

Apparently the guy had recently bought the helicopter and was waiting for his instructor to turn up to give him his first lesson. Astonishingly, he decided to get on with things by himself. I've pasted the accident report below. I've only just joined this group, so this may be old news.

I'm trying to think of what would make someone do this. Stupidity ranks pretty highly. Other factors, I'm sure, were massive overconfidence, excitment, impatience, showing off...etc. Whatever the case, I'm glad he managed to walk out of it.

[Edit. Ah - a quick search through the archives and it looks like this appeared a few months ago. Looks like I've got a bit of catching up to do...]

NTSB Identification: LAX87LA190 . The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 35617.

Accident occurred Sunday, April 26, 1987 at RUBIDOUX, CA
Aircraft:HUGHES 269B, registration: N101DN
Injuries: 1 Minor.
A HUGHES 269B WENT OUT OF CONTROL AND COLLIDED WITH THE GROUND DURING A T/O TO A HOVER. THE PILOT HAD PURCHASED THE AIRCRAFT RECENTLY AND WAS LEARNING TO FLY IT. HE WAS SCHEDULED FOR HIS FIRST FLIGHT LESSON ON THE DAY OF THE ACCIDENT. THE CFI REPORTED THAT HE HAD TOLD THE STUDENT PILOT TO WAIT FOR HIM AND NOT TO TOUCH ANYTHING. WHILE WAITING FOR THE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR, THE NON ROTORCRAFT RATED STUDENT PILOT STARTED THE AIRCRAFT, RAN IT UP TO FULL RPM, AND THEN BEGAN TO INCREASE THE COLLECTIVE PITCH CONTROL. THE HELICOPTER CLIMBED VERTICALLY TO A HIGH HOVER AND THE PILOT LOST CONTROL. THE PILOT STATED THAT HE HAD NOT RELEASED THE CYCLIC FRICTION BEFORE BECOMING AIRBORNE. THE PILOT INDICATED HE HAD ABOUT500 HOURS OF FLIGHT TIME BUT DID NOT SPECIFY THE TYPE AND NO SUBSTANTIATION OF THE TIME COULD BE MADE.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows.

DIRECTIONAL CONTROL..NOT MAINTAINED..DUAL STUDENT
JUDGMENT..POOR..DUAL STUDENT
VERTICAL TAKEOFF..UNCONTROLLED..DUAL STUDENT
INSTRUCTIONS,WRITTEN/VERBAL..DISREGARDED..DUAL STUDENT

Islander Jock
13th Feb 2003, 09:30
Thanks for the replies guys.

THE HELICOPTER CLIMBED VERTICALLY TO A HIGH HOVER AND THE PILOT LOST CONTROL

Now I aint no mixmasterbilongemjesuschrist pilot but nowhere in that short excursion did I see anything that could remotely be confused with a "hover" :D

the wizard of auz
15th Feb 2003, 11:45
looks alot like some of my work IJ. and your cooks efforts mighta looked the same I would imagine. :O

Arm out the window
16th Feb 2003, 21:46
It reminds me of an embarrassing incident that happened not too long ago to a student in a detachment of a certain military training school who used squirrels with a twist grip throttle mod(keeping a veil of secrecy here of course!). I wasn't involved, so I hope I get the facts straight, but it went something like this.
After a number of introductory flights, students would get to the stage where they were written up as safe to preflight and start the aircraft, to then wait for the instructor who would wander out and strap in.
A hot start could be a bit of a problem with this throttle setup, because an attempt to hastily close the throttle could result in the operator fighting the release mechanism and being unable to shut it off. The alternative means of cutting off the fuel was, funnily enough, the fuel shutoff lever on the floor, which is operated by pulling upwards.
Anyway, this particular student goes to start the aircraft...hot start imminent...tries to close the throttle, it gets jammed...goes for the fuel shutoff lever and gets it, but jags the collective as well...aircraft leaps up into a high hover, luckily moving clear of other aircraft, then runs out of fuel due to the shutoff being closed...falls in an undignified heap to the ground, as the horrified instructor, on his way out to hop in, looks on!
Student fortunately unharmed, aircraft smashed up. Ouch!

A check
16th Feb 2003, 22:27
I can not remember who posted it when this was last shown on this board but it went something like this

" Its the new training method to save pilot training costs, solo em all on the first flight and train the survivors"

GIMPOSH
17th Feb 2003, 06:42
Arm out the window.

Going to have to go and look up 61 or was it 62's photo and see who went to fat boys off that CSE. Should be able to work out who ya are then. At least you will know who the hell I am!

Gimposh

griffinblack
17th Feb 2003, 09:58
It could have been a lot worse for the young Squirrel trainee. Had he been just around the other side of the lines he would have autorotated forward into other aircraft positioned fore/aft. They also had trainees inside starting up. Fortunately he was positioned in the lines beside other aircraft.