PDA

View Full Version : flying jobs - agriculture, glider towing, etc

Geordie
12th Feb 2003, 22:37
Hello all.

I am about embark on a trip to Australia to work on farms and travel, and would like to enquire as to the possibility of getting a flying job at some point, possibly on ranches gathering stock, etc, in an attempt to hour build on the cheap. I have a JAA PPL with only just 120 hours at present, but hope to build on that during my stay with rental aircraft, etc. I would also be interested in any information about type ratings / specific differences training to do with ag flying work, i.e. where to go, costs involved, etc and also any other ideas about flying jobs I may be able to get - glider towing, etc.

Very useful forum !

Cheers

George

Tinstaafl
13th Feb 2003, 02:04
Chances are minimal to non-existant.

Agricultural ie crop spraying/spreading: You will need as a minimum an Oz CPL +Low Level endorsement + Ag2 rating. Expect to spend a year with an ag. company as a loader/driver & or marker before getting a look in. Join the queue for the the loader driver position.

Station pilot: Possible with a PPL, CPL better. Not likely though. You would be primarily a stockhand who also flies the station's C182 or whatever. They will expect to see a good deal of familiarity with station work, stock & the outback. Usually will want Low-level & mustering endorsements.

Mustering pilot: See above. Low level & mustering endorsements are a pre-requisite.

Glider towing: Will need to be known at the club & have some gliding experience. Join the queue.

Parachute dropping: Join the very long queue, competing against lots of fresh CPLs. Would help if you were involved in parachuting at that club. Need to be familiar with Cessna series & (I think) have a certain minimum on the type to be used.

Joyflights: CPL required as a bare minimum. Very unlikely. Join the even longer queue. For as much as a year or more. Then become a hangar rat to get the occasional flight until eventually merging into a casual position.

Helibloke
13th Feb 2003, 03:47
Average cost of an AG machine is probably around the 750,000 mark, most are turbines and fitted with 20-30 grands worth of gps/ag marking systems.
Dont think anyone would put you on with a PPL even if it was legal and its not by the way. You must have Min CPL and some other time (for Helicopters its 400). The Station stuff you might get a go at, First find a job as a ringer on a cattle property and THEN tell the boss aswell as your cattle handling skills you can also fly the station aircraft if he needs you to. Good luck with your visit and I hope you get a chance to see the Outback from the drivers seat of your Station airplane.
Cheers