PDA

View Full Version : Done any flight training with these UK schools?

Sky Goose
12th Feb 2003, 15:24
Hi,
I have an FAA Com/IR with 200 hours and am converting to a JAA ATPL.
I have completed all the ATPL theory and am now looking at schools to complete the flying portion of the conversion.

I will be doing a visit to the following schools over the next weekend,

Airways Flight Training, Exeter
Bournemouth Commercial Flight Training and
The Pilot Training College Bournemouth.

If you have done any training with any of these schools, in particular an FAA to JAA conversion, I would appreciate any feedback negative or otherwise to help me make my final decision.

If you have any other advice, that would be appreciated too,

thanks in advance

Flying Farmer
12th Feb 2003, 15:33
CPL and IR training at BCFT highly recomended, with some good instructors.
Look at PAT whilst at EGHH buildings are crap but again very good track record.
Also know a few guys who trained at Airways, good feedback from them. Really down to personal choice here, all three will get you through.
BCFT you pay as you go, in arrears, most important in this day and age.

FF

Sky Goose
12th Feb 2003, 15:47
Cheers FF

will check out PAT while im there,

goose

Megaton
12th Feb 2003, 15:47
AFT have, until recently, never even bothered advertising and for very good reasons. Word of mouth recommendation is far better than any glossy ad and the photos on the wall from satisfied customers are testament to the reputution they enjoy amongst the armed forces. I've not personally flown with them but most of my colleagues here have and they strongly recommend the place.

Doghouse
12th Feb 2003, 21:40
I've used AFT at Exeter and PAT at Bournemouth. AFT were excellent, buildings weren't great (like PAT) but I thought the training was good. It was pretty much a crossing point for military pilots converting to civilian and for the UK BCPL pilots doing there shortened IR and there used to be a 1,000 minimum hour requirement for the IR, but I believe that's all changed since 2002. Definitely worth a call, I couldn't recommend them enough.

PAT were good too. They're a bit less organised on the admin side and I noticed some pilots were hanging around without an aircraft or instructor (but it was a bad winter and I think the school had a bit of a log jam at the time). Anyway, I had no such worries and also felt the training to be good.

Sir Donald
12th Feb 2003, 21:50
Completed a JAR Conversion with PAT, an excellent & professional outfit, you know everything upfront, no hide and seek games,i strongly recomend them.
The Don.

Sky Goose
13th Feb 2003, 09:22
Thanks for the replys, pprune shure has its uses. :ok:

Hearing from ex-students is a big help,

cheers

Linda Mollison
13th Feb 2003, 13:12
Hi Skygoose,

I notice that you may be coming to visit us this coming weekend!

We do not normally work at weekends. However, we would be happy to arrange to come in especially to see you if you would like to telephone us or e-mail us today or tomorrow.

Thanks,

Linda Mollison (PAT)

PS: (to Flying Farmer). We have done up the buildings - looking much smarter now. Come down and visit us; you know the kettle is always on.

Flying Farmer
13th Feb 2003, 15:58
Many apologies Linda.
Should have mentioned that I had not visited you for a while.
Kettles always on, great, will pop in next time I'm in the area.
FF