PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand

the kebabman
12th Feb 2003, 12:39
I am seriousely considering spending a summer in New Zealand, renting a plane and taking sky divers/parachutists up. I should come out in summer 2004 with my atpl (going to jerez tomorrow to start ab-initio). What is stopping me doing this? Any suggestions, ideas and abuse welcome. Also, if anyone knows the situation with visa lengths and availability i'd appreciate it. cheers, kebabman.

foghorn
12th Feb 2003, 13:15
UK Citizens get a six month visitors stamp on entry, no visa required, however you're not allowed to work without a work permit.

I've never flown there but it's a beautiful country with friendly locals who welcome the Brits with open arms. The Kiwis don't get called the South Sea Poms for nothing ;)

Onan the Clumsy
12th Feb 2003, 14:00
Do it. Do it now. Don't stop to think about it and don't come home after six months.

I went in 1986 and learned to skydive at Pudding Hill. I spent six weeks going all over and had the time of my life. It's a beautiful country and very welcoming too. In some ways, it was like being in the England of the alternate universe because lots of things were quite familiar, and lots of things were different. For instance, I saw all these cars that had long ago disappeared from the English roads. Like the Triumph Dolomites, Triumph Heralds, Rover 2000, Hillman Minx Ford Zodiac. Quite interesting. Apparently NZ has every single geographic region from Desert to rainforest, Geo thermal springs to Alpine mountain.

I'm going back someday.

Oh and another thing, when you say "spend a Summer" there, I guess you mean Winter :confused: