PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Air - Proof of Identity

Santro
12th Feb 2003, 12:05
I've searched around previous threads but can't find anything about this so I hope I'm not posting something already covered.

Ryan Air have a very strange attitude towards proof of identity.

The only valid forms of photo-id accepted on domestic UK flights
and Ireland-UK routes are a passport, driving licence with photo,
international student identity card with photo, or national identity
card with photo. (National Identity cards are accepted only when
issued by a Schengen country, ie. Spain, Portugal, France,
Germany, Belgium, Iceland Luxembourg, Italy, the Netherlands,
Greece, Austria, Denmark, Finland and Sweden).

Compare that with most other Airlines and included in that list are "Government" id cards e.g. Civil Service, Military, Police. Ryan Air are completely unflexible when it comes to these id's. Lets however, look at some of what they do expect.

1. Drunken passenger etc. - Ryan Air would like him removed by the Police, prosecuted etc. But wait, those policemen aren't technically allowed on board the aircraft because shock horror, their id's aren't valid.

2. The UK skies are watched and patrolled by the Military, and in the event of an aircraft being hijacked and landing at a UK airport, no doubt, they'd be grateful once the killing started, if the SAS borded and 'removed' the hijackers. Military id's however aren't acceptable to Ryan Air.

3. This one takes the biscuit :) Ryan Air operate out of an RAF base. (St Mawgan). Funny one that.

4. International Student Card. Yup, great ID, fills me with tons of confidence that one. Available at any local Al Queida photocopying establishment.

5. Driving Licence /w photo. Hmm, readily available to any criminal, let alone determined, organised terrorist. Fill in a form, no vetting, get back a lovely legal way onto a flight.

I'd love someone from Ryan Air to actually explain their reasoning. It galls me that I have to produce a Driving Licence to get on their flights, when I have a 'Government vetted' ID card - that involved all sorts of background checks and which lets me into 'Secret' establishments. But that's not good enough for them.

brabazon
12th Feb 2003, 12:21
Santro

You obviously missed this long-standing thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76934