PDA

View Full Version : ATPL questions

rich49
11th Feb 2003, 20:25
I have a few questions about an ATPL after researching.
I am planning on leaving Uni with a BEng and almost certainly a debt (average is £10K these days) in 2007. I plan on getting a well paid job to get me through a modular course. Some of the flying schools websites that I have looked at say that the first Licence gained must be the ATPL. OATS website (who I am seriously considering going with) does not offer any info on their courses, just prices.

Does the ATPL have to be gained first? The reason I ask is because I want to enrol on the full time 14 week course rather than distance learning because I feel it would benefit me more. However the course is £5,495 plus their is the £50 test charge, living and travel expences etc etc... If I had to get an ATPL before I began training for the rest of my flying I would have to get my ATPL before getting a job because I could not do both at the same time, and I could not quit my job after earning anough to get my ATPL because then I would not be earning a wage to pay for my other licences. How would I pay for my ATPL before getting a job I ask? I would be in debt already, and not even earning a wage!

The only two solutions I see is going distance learning or getting the ATPL after all my other licences, when I have funded the training for them and I can quit my job and devote 14 weeks to the course.

If I do get my ATPL first, how long until it expires? What do I have to do to keep it current?

Do I have to hold a JAA class 1 in order to take the ATPL's and if so do I have to renew the class 1 every year?
One last question, initial issue of a Class1 Medical is £400. What is the re issue fee?

Well, thanks for any help!
Richard

GonvilleBromhead
12th Feb 2003, 07:25
Hi Richard,

Yes in answer to your question, your ATPL's ie. your groundschool exams (just a minor point, but your ATPL is actually the combination on your ATPL's (groundschool exams), your CPL, and your IR. This then gives you your frozen ATPL (fATPL)) do need to be done first before you can proceed to the next stage, the CPL.

I know you would ideally like to do the ATPL's (groundschool) on a full time residential course, however if cost is to be an issue (and it is with many of us), then maybe it may be worth considering D/L to keep the cost down, and keep a wage coming in.

The cost should then reduce to approx. £1900-ish, plus exam fees, but as I say, it does allow you to earn your way through this phase.

When you pass the exams, you then have three years to pass your CPL and IR before your results "expire" so to speak, but I'm afraid yes, the exams do need to be passed before going any further.

Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs, but I guess you already have a PPL, the modular groundschools require you to have at least a PPL before you enrol on their courses.

Good luck whichever way you go.

FlyingForFun
12th Feb 2003, 08:55
Rich,

I think you may be getting a little confused here! The ATPL is the license which you need to be captain of a multi-crew aircraft. In order to get that, you need a minimum of 1500 hours flying time, as well as lots of other requirements. No, you definitely don't need that first! ;)

As Gonville says, "ATPLs" is often used colloquially to refer to the written exams. But I don't think that's what you mean, either.

If I understand you correctly, you are looking at schools where you can do the written exams (or the "ATPLs"), and the requirements for starting this course??? If I'm right, then the requirements are for a PPL - that's Private Pilots License, and it's a whole different beast to an ATPL!

The requirements for a PPL are a minimum of 45 hours training, but most people need around 50-60 hours. You need to budget around £6000-£7000 for this. If you want advice on the PPL, then post a question in the Private Flying forum, and you'll get answers there. (The Wannabes forum is for any part of your training which comes after you get your PPL.)

You mentioned doing things in a different order - I'm afraid this isn't an option. You must pass all the written exams before you can complete either of the next two phases of your training, which are a CPL and an IR. The only flexible bit is that you'll need to build some hours up before starting the CPL and IR training - and this can be done either before or after the written exams.

If I've mis-understood you, and this isn't what you're asking about, then please try to point us in the right direction and we'll have another go!

To answer your question about the medical, there is no fixed answer. The initial Class 1 has to be done at the CAA's offices, so they have a set price they charge. Renewals can be done by any appropriately authorised doctor, and each doctor can charge whatever they like. I renewed my Class 1 last week... I forget the exact amount that I paid, but I think it was around £80. (I paid by credit card, so it's not "real" money, which is why I can't remember the exact amount! :D)

Good luck!

FFF
---------------

runway
13th Feb 2003, 14:42
...and the initial calss one costs around 500 quid, so make sure you're in tip top condition!