PDA

View Full Version : Troops at LHR

ratarsedagain
11th Feb 2003, 11:10
Having not been into LHR today, any idea if the army are patrolling airside, or is it just on the perimeter and inside/outside the terminals?

BRISTOLRE
11th Feb 2003, 13:00
Its Difficult to say.
BBC Wires reporting that enterance to the main tunnel guarded by tanks & troops and the interior Central Area patrolled by tanks.
The Beeb also says that troops are patrolling the M25 closest to LHR also???
Something going on there then???

Windsor Castle security also stepped up for some reason.

This is going to frighten folk good and proper.
:(

rupetime
11th Feb 2003, 14:10
So what does the government know to suddenly put this extra security in place ?

rt

BRISTOLRE
11th Feb 2003, 14:15
True, at times like this when military resources are likely to required elsewhere and this amount of deployment suddenly comes up, it is scary to think why?

I should be down at EGLL later on so I should have chance to see for myself.

Its not like a few extra coppers with guns, we've got soldiers, bazookas, machine guns, tanks, armoured cars, alsatian dogs, gherkas and most of Windsors finest Household Cavalry inplace.

Point Seven
11th Feb 2003, 14:55
Troops are notified as not being airside. Make of that what you will.

Lou Scannon
11th Feb 2003, 15:08
Let's not forget that LHR came under attack from an international terrorist organisation just a few years back when the IRA lobbed a few mortars towards an American Airlines aircraft.

Butch young men wearing uniform make me feel more secure-not less!

Vizsla
11th Feb 2003, 15:15
Couldn't it be a Blair ploy to give more credibility to his "wargames" with Bush!

Have all Air France Sabena & Lufthansa flights been banned yet?

Silver Tongued Cavalier
11th Feb 2003, 16:39
By Tom Geoghegan
BBC News Online, at Heathrow

As Scotland Yard declared heightened security in London, BBC News Online went to Heathrow, where 450 troops were deployed as part of the anti-terrorist operation.

Passengers arriving at Heathrow expecting hundreds of heavily armed soldiers to be charging through the airport would have been relieved.

Initially, the only evidence of increased security was a uniformed policeman buying a newspaper at WH Smith.

After an hour searching three terminals, there was still no glimpse of anything khaki, just a handful of police officers.

Staff were overheard asking each other if they had seen any soldiers, following the headlines in the morning, and some passengers were equally puzzled.

New Zealander Gary Arnott, 51, waiting for a flight to South Korea, told BBC News Online: "I saw on the news that 450 soldiers were being drafted in.

"But I haven't seen anything and I've been sitting here for 25 minutes."

My only sight of the Army was outside Terminal Three arrivals, where four armoured vehicles were parked.

Lieutenant Richard Moger, 25, of the Household Cavalry, spoke to BBC News Online from the top of his tank-like vehicle.

He said: "We're just here to assist the police in their daily activities - we'll help them if they need anything.

"I don't think the public have paid that much attention.

"The reaction tends to be a glance, but most people just carry on their way."

Maureen Ellis, 69, from Essex, was so reassured by the sight of the troops that she stopped to have a chat.

She said: "It makes me feel much safer. That one driving the tank looks like my grandson.

"We'd seen it on the news this morning so it was no surprise to see them."

The military part of the operation is probably far more discreet than many expected.

Much of the Army's activity is out of sight to passengers rather than a visible presence inside the building.

Soldiers patrolled the perimeter road to deter anyone from sneaking into the grounds of the airport.

Troy Cartwright, 21, who was preparing to fly to his native Melbourne, said the troops were better off out of sight: "Seeing people with guns actually makes me feel insecure.

"Even the police here have them - a big thing walking right past you.

"My first thought was 'My God, what's the world coming to?'"

Claudine Dupuis, 22, on her way to Montreal, asked: "Do we need that?

"Even in the States, they don't walk in the street and airport with them."

For others, the military presence was a rare opportunity.

Wab Chowdhury, 27, busy explaining the sight to his fascinated young nephew Kamil, said "I've lived in London all my life and I've never seen a tank this close."

Smoketoomuch
11th Feb 2003, 17:30
Anti-terror police have unearthed a plot to shoot down a plane at Heathrow, according to security sources.

As the army was drafted in to protect the airport in west London, Sky News was told that security forces feared a terror attack to bring down an airliner.
Police have been searching under the flight path on the western approach to the airport and combing areas of Windsor Great Park.
Although Scotland Yard will not comment in detail, police officers have been stopping motorists and searching cars in and around Wraysbury, west of Heathrow.

Flyboybrad
11th Feb 2003, 17:54
I live 30 mins from heathrow directly under 090R final and to make things worse I live in Windsor, walking distance from the castle. security here is bloody mental!!!!! armed police everywhere!!!!!!! aghhh wots going on??

overstress
11th Feb 2003, 19:59
I would suggest a few troops knocking about now would prevent an airliner from falling on your head, in which case you would have a headache and there would be even more troops knocking about. If you follow me.

WEBLUEIT
11th Feb 2003, 21:05
Why are those tanks poised outside staff travel at terminal 4?

LGW Vulture
11th Feb 2003, 21:23
Why no troops @ LGW. Is there no preceived threat here? :confused:

boris
11th Feb 2003, 21:35
Security is vitally important as is the protection of Air Travel generally.
Please do not make light of proper security provisions and keep your remarks about any details of the operation to yourselves.
People who do not have your best interests at heart may read this as well.
Thank you.

slipper 1
11th Feb 2003, 21:39
It would seem to me that if they had recieved credible evidence of an attack at LHR covert measures would have been more appropriate. At least they knew where the attack was going to be. Now if there is an attack it could be at any UK airport, much more difficult to contain. I also think it could be to sway the public opinion about going to war with Iraq.

Sad times indeed.

View From The Ground
11th Feb 2003, 22:48
From where I saw the police patrolling it would definately seem that the worry was outside of the airport perimiter as well as inside. Perhaps this does lend credibility to the SAM speculation. I imagine that with war preparations, peacekeeping duties, the fire strike and now this our military must be severely stretched. Another reason why I think this was a genuine reaction to a perceived threat as opposse to pre war posturing. Lets not forget the continuing hard work of both the police and armed forces. Best wishes to the boys and girls in green and the boys and girls in blue

anengineer
11th Feb 2003, 23:17
....of course, these terrorists are incapable of switching to any of the other airports that could bring an airliner down over the capital.

Either that, or it's the US Foreign Secretary - Mr Blair, trying to justify killing thousands of Iraqis, not to mention sending our own troops to war with an 'ally' who managed to kill more of us than the Iraqis did, in the last Gulf war.

I mean, what calibre of people have we got in MI5 & 6 these days ? I pay my taxes... I expect to be hoodwinked more convincingly than that.

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/ for info about this Saturday's march - they're estimating half a million so far...

BRISTOLRE
12th Feb 2003, 07:52
Winds forecast to change in the next 48hrs which should make things interesting as direction of approaches and deps from LHR will swing round.

Pleanty of coverage by police and armed forces on southside and checks on permiter and local roads and bridges over the M25 early this AM.

I hope that large lorry park in Poyle/Colnbrook at the side of the M25 is getting checked frequently.

BlueEagle
12th Feb 2003, 08:21
Nothing new or strange about the deployment to LHR of 450 troops and equipment, they have done it many times before, sometimes just an exercise and other times as a reaction to a threat. The military force has been around quite a while to defend against terrorist attacks from, among others, the IRA.

Freak
12th Feb 2003, 10:12
.....And I can't believe that the new al-Qaida tape (assuming it's genuine) urging the Iraqi people to stand up against the American might is being used as proof of a link between Iraq and al-Qaida!

What some people have been trying to say for some time is that actions with shades of agression, imperialism, militance, hypocricy and self-righteousness (probably spelt wrong) will simply cause further resentment (and therefore terrorism), which is what we are seeing the threat of now.

Not that this excuses any such actions in any way whatsoever.

Anyway, this is getting a bit political, I'll stop now.

BlueEagle
12th Feb 2003, 10:18
The security troops at LHR have been available to be there for years and years and years. They have turned out many, many times. Sometimes it is an exercise other times because of a terrorist threat.

Troops and police are available, if, as and when they are required at all major UK airports.

Because of the tense times we are going through the media have given this turn out at LHR their full attention, at other times it has been completely ignored. I don't think there are any grounds for a conspiracy theory.

BRISTOLRE
12th Feb 2003, 10:20
There is detailed discussion about this in the topic spread "Troops at LHR", posted yesterday.
This issue already been covered in detail there.

sss
12th Feb 2003, 10:23
suppose, the authorities recieve information that LHR is to be subject to a threat, this is backed up through various sources they have,

they have 2 options, do nothing or do something,

if they do nothing and nothing happens, all well and good,

if they do nothing and something happens, they end up in the brown smelly stuff.

if they do something to try to prevent or deter the threat, they end up with loads of critisism, the services get enough grief as it is.

bearing in mind that they state they have a specific threat/information regarding heathrow, im sure if they had the same for any other airport they would do the same.

expedite_climb
12th Feb 2003, 10:27
Funny how Powell states that this tape is definately bin laden, and links him to Saddam. In the past its been - "It might be him, but it might not, as we think he's dead".

Now as soon as it appears to link him to Iraq it is him for sure.

BlueEagle - there may well be troops at airfields reguarly, but where I live (M25, directly under all DVR / DET departures), the number of police around has to be seen to be believed.

12th Feb 2003, 10:48
I doubt BinHat and his merry team have heard of Gatwick. Heathrow = publicity (worldwide)

rodondo4
12th Feb 2003, 11:09
At the rate Blair is going I'm not suprised it this is just to sway public opinion towards war in Iraq.

noidea
12th Feb 2003, 11:11
Well when the world is on the brink of something big like sorting out some of the crazies in the world, lets organise a big walk!!

You should be getting behind your prime minister who is showing some balls!! Going for a walk and pretending the problems of the world will go away is sheer stupidity at best!!

And no I'm not an American.

Lou Scannon
12th Feb 2003, 12:51
Covert operations are fine up to a point, but you need real fire power if it becomes necessary to take out a vehicle rapidly.

Two squaddies in plain clothes driving a hire car cannot provide this. The presence of armoured cars with the bits sticking out would seem to be required.

If only they had been there when the IRA fired their mortars!

Basil
12th Feb 2003, 13:04
<<"But I haven't seen anything and I've been sitting here for 25 minutes." >>

"Field trials of new British Army camouflage a great success" :D

5milesbaby
12th Feb 2003, 23:35
noidea, you really do have no idea don't you:

"You should be getting behind your prime minister who is showing some balls!! Going for a walk and pretending the problems of the world will go away is sheer stupidity at best!!"

..or just an attempt to show the prime minister that some are apposed to his ideas of war, a free entitlement to do so.

LTNman
13th Feb 2003, 06:20
There has been permanent armed police in the terminal at Luton for months now. They also occasionally man a checkpoint in the tunnel on the approach road but never during their lunch hour when they all stop for tea!

AirScrew
13th Feb 2003, 08:45
I'm not pro-labour, and definitely not pro-war, but on this particular issue, I think the government and the b'crats have got it about right.

Doing nothing would be plain stupid, both politically and ethically.

This is low-key compared to the US security activities, and so I dont believe Blair is trying to whip-up sympathy for a war.

What concerns me is that if there is a determined plan to launch and hand-launched SAM at any UK airport, or perhaps a transit-van bomb in the City of London, then these security measures will not stop it. I dont think it could be stopped.

I'm a PPL, not commercial.
I would not want to be on on-board a US or BA logo plane on Friday or Saturday.

For any of you guys that are rostered out of LHR Friday or Saturday, arent you considering not flying???

AirScrew
13th Feb 2003, 08:59
No, I'm not saying there is rumour to close the aiport, but want to see/hear it discussed.

The recent and highly visible security around LHR and other airports is very concerning, whatever your viewpoint on the potential war.

I'm not pro-labour, and definitely not pro-war, but on this particular issue, I think the government and the b'crats have got it about right.
Doing nothing would be plain stupid, both politically and ethically.
But is the government acting on hard facts?
It certainly HAS told us that it will not tell us.

What concerns me is that if there is a determined plan to launch a hand-launched SAM at any UK airport, then these security measures are very unlikey to stop it.

I'm a PPL, not commercial, but I would not want to be on on-board a US carrier or BA plane on Friday or Saturday.

For any of you guys that are rostered out of LHR Friday or Saturday, arent you considering not flying???

Should the airport be closed?

Look at it this way.
Severe weather is a known hazard, and occasionally airports are shut or flights delayed or cancelled to reduce the risk.

So should not the Aviation Authorities CAA/BAA be pushing incredibly hard to ascertain the facts here??

Dop
13th Feb 2003, 09:21
Personally, I believe it's something of an incredible coincidence that the major security alert comes just days before a major anti-war demo in London. This is more likely to be Senator Blair of the 51st State's attempt to say "Look, guys, this is how bad it is. So that's why we need to bomb Iraq, OK?"

Besides which, if we close Heathrow, the terrorists have won. QED

Dangerous_Dave
13th Feb 2003, 09:47
Deploying troops to close Airports smacks of Martial Law. There is nothing to do with the Anti War demonstration, but the Islamic Festival that is coming to an end this weekend.

I am not frightened to fly this weekend, and in fact, hopefully my flight to New York will be half empty. I am not going to let anyone else tell me whether I will be able to fly or not.

I would like to see or hear about the threat that has caused all of this over-reaction. Am I the only one who is curious about this??

if we close Heathrow, the terrorists have won

BRISTOLRE
13th Feb 2003, 10:05
BREAKING NEWS...
News at 1100z just states a military fighter and a Nimrod has been patrolling the skies over London this morning.

Coupled this is similar to yesterday afternoons situation over Washington DC where everyone and everything is on a high scale of alert.

WHAT EXACTLY IS THE THREAT?
UK Government & PM has yet made no official statement on the type of threat and what EXACTLY is supposed to be happening.
All we hear about is the possbility of an aircraft being shot down.

NO, Airports should not close. No-way.
That would cause pandamonium and countless problems and too much economic damage nobody needs right now.

Reassuring the public,travellers and staff alike is the right thing to do and it seems to be working. We dont want people being afraid to fly. We dont need anymore deterrants to fly.

VectorLine
13th Feb 2003, 11:17
In response to emergency questioning from the other parties

BRISTOLRE
13th Feb 2003, 12:04
1310z no statements made yet on the news

brabazon
13th Feb 2003, 13:54
Following is link to latest news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2757143.stm

tom_higginson
13th Feb 2003, 14:20
1) I agree with 5milesbaby in that people are entitled to be opposed to the war. But on the other hand i garantee that 90% of those going on the march in London on Saturday would not be able to give a realistic and effective alternative to solving the Iraq crisis without war. War is not the perfect senerio (what is) but what else can be done? The West could carry on with the inspections and talks but no dout the issue of non cooperation from Iraq and possible war will crop up again in a year or two.

2) The idea that the milatary being at Heathrow is to sway the public into supporting Blair in a war in Iraq is not thought out and well pretty stupid. It costs so much money to keep the milatary at the airport especially with tanks, plus it will discourage people coming to England. If the goverment just wanted to frighten the public into thinking we are under threat it would be far easier and cheaper to produce leaflets on terror threats, or do what America
is and advise us to stock up on emergancy rations.

3) I can understand extra sercurity, ie more police/soldiers looking for suspect packages and searching cars etc, but why tanks and heavy machine guns? What are they expecting, an artilary invasion of heathrow or somthing?

AirScrew
14th Feb 2003, 10:11
I'm more than pleased that you guys dont want to have the airport shut. We now know that it was consdided by HMG yesterday. Common sense prevails on that one.

brabazon
14th Feb 2003, 11:03
BBC is now saying part of T2 is being cleared due to incident. Any more?

Bubbette
8th May 2003, 07:03
It was recently released that the extra security was because Al Qaeda planned to use a weapon to fire at an Israeli airliner.