PDA

View Full Version : Reach 022Y return to YPAD

Desert Flower
11th Feb 2003, 04:56
Have just heard Reach 022Y (a/c type unknown, but probably either Galaxy or Starlifter) inform Melbourne Centre that they wanted to return immediately to Adelaide International. When asked if they were "Ops normal," they replied they were, however something was also said about fuel. It was difficult to make out exactly what was being said, as there was a loud engine noise behind the transmission. Anyone out there hear?see anything on this one?

DF.

Capt Claret
11th Feb 2003, 12:32
Heard either ML Ctr (most probable) on 128.85 or BN Ctr on 134.0 ask a "Reach" if ops were normal.

Reach responded that they had a minor problem with an aircon pack. :eek:

Given that I'd not long been asked how I'd get in to ASP if a Starlifter was broke on the RWY at ASP leaving only 1600m, I thought it was a little spooky as Dame Edna is want to say. :O

Desert Flower
12th Feb 2003, 00:01
Capt Claret, thanks for that info. Yes, having one of those babies blocking the runway would make things a bit tricky, wouldn't it?!

DF.

Airframe Driver
12th Feb 2003, 08:24
C5s and C141s regualrly go into Alice Springs, and there is ample parking there. Don't know why they'd block the runway for an air con problem.
The C5 departed Adelaide Tues evening with pressurisation problems and maintained F120 for quite a while. They were on their way West. Would have been sucking the juice at 12 000' !!

Capt Claret
13th Feb 2003, 08:20
T'was just a hypothetical posed on the way into AS; "what would you do .... yadda yadda ...... if a Starlifter broke down on the runway .... yadda yadda?"

Then on the next freq there's a Starlifter not quite 100%!:}

Airframe Driver
14th Feb 2003, 10:08
Capt Claret,

No agro or offence intended.

Stay cool

AD

Capt Claret
15th Feb 2003, 10:14
No agro or offence inferred, assumed, or otherwise.

I'm too square to ever be cool, but I'll try! :D

galaxy flyer
17th Feb 2003, 22:38
I believe it was one of our guys from snowy New England. Richmond to Perth. Back home we were wondering why they went into YPAD, assumed the 7000 foot runway at Richmond and the load was the cause. After Adelaide, getting gas would be V. difficult. C-5, by the way. We had two in Townsville last week. Lucky guys, it -20 C here.

Cheers and thanks for the help, Aussies.