PDA

View Full Version : Man Sentenced to Five Years for Helping Kill 329 Pax in AI 747 Bombing

Airbubba
11th Feb 2003, 03:04
Glad the Canadians don't have a death penalty...

Tuesday, 11 February, 2003, 03:50 GMT

Man jailed for Air India bombing

The crash off the coast of Ireland killed 329 people

A Sikh man has received a five-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to the bombing of an Air India jet in 1985, which killed all the passengers on board.

Inderjit Singh Reyat - who has British and Canadian citizenship - was charged by a Canadian court with 329 counts of manslaughter - one for each of the people who died in the blast.

Two other men also stand accused in connection with the bombing.

The sentencing came as a surprise, although prosecution lawyers say they now concede that Reyat's role in the bombing was relatively small.

Reyat stood but said nothing as his punishment was read out in court.

'Small role'

Flight 182 from Montreal to Delhi exploded over the Atlantic Ocean on 23 June 1985, killing all the mainly Canadian passengers on board.

It is thought the bomb was in retaliation for the storming of the Golden Temple

Many of the victim's bodies were never found.

Reyat's plea, and subsequent sentence, had raised speculation that he may testify against the other suspects, Ripudaman Singh Malik and Ajaib Singh Bagri, in their trial which is due to begin later this year.

However his lawyer now says that his client has not agreed to testify or aid the prosecution of the others in any way.

Reyat has already served 10 years in prison in the United Kingdom for his part in an explosion at Tokyo's Narita Airport which took place an hour before the Air India plane blew up, killing two baggage handlers.

Noting this sentence, Chief Justice Donald Brenner accepted prosecutor Robert Wright's recommendation that he serve a five-year sentence.

With the time he has served while waiting for trial, he will eventually serve almost 25 years in prison.

BBC correspondent Ian Gunn said that prosecutors have also now conceded that Mr Reyat's part in the bombing was small, that he doesn't know who planted the explosives and that he never knew that the bomb was to be used on a civilian jetliner.

All of this suggests he has much less to contribute to the trial than many had assumed, he adds.

Huge investigation

It is suspected that both bomb attacks were in retaliation for the Indian Army's storming of the Sikh holy shrine, the Golden Temple, in 1984.

Until 11 September 2001, the Air India bombing stood as history's most deadly case of air sabotage.

The investigation into the attack is the largest the Canadian police force has ever undertaken.

The courtroom in Vancouver where the trial of the two other defendants will take place has been specially fortified at a cost of several million dollars.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2746663.stm

Dibble&Grub
11th Feb 2003, 05:09
5.54 days per life. Sort of sets a new bar on the value I feel...

Dibble

N1005C
11th Feb 2003, 06:39
Terrorists and other criminals need this kind of encouragement

purple haze
11th Feb 2003, 18:24
my dad was a good friend of the FO on board the a/c, in fact the pilot was in london, a couple of months before, for my birthday.

i think the guy should have a min. of life imprisonment as he knew about the bombing and although played a small part, could have prevented it, if he desired.

so he is equally guilty if not more.

says alot for our justice system, which i imagine is the same as canadians.!!!!!!

Jagbag
11th Feb 2003, 18:54
It seems so pointless that innocent people were made to suffer for some political action in which they were not even remotely connected.

By handing out easy sentences to those who are connected to such heinous crimes is incorrect. The judiciary has the moral responsibility that sentences should be discouraging especially in view of the present context.

peeteechase
11th Feb 2003, 19:11
Why point the finger at the Canadian's when we let all those convicted murdering ba&%*($d bombers lose as part of the Good Friday agreement.
The world is definitely on the side of the bad guys?

a disgusted PTC
(formerly of warrington Cheshire)

RatherBeFlying
11th Feb 2003, 21:12
Reyat served 10 years for the Narita explosion which killed two baggage handlers the same day as the Air India bombing for which he also supplied bomb parts.

The 5 years in custody waiting trial count as 10 years served.

The sentence of 5 more years brings the total to 25.

The sentence for first degree murder in Canada is life without parole for 25 years.

Rollingthunder
11th Feb 2003, 22:35
I had nothing to do with it.

I also know a great many east indian folks who are fine people. Quite a few work for me.

The government here doesn't welcome terrorists with open arms. They could be more effective in keeping them out though...as could the British, French and Americans.

I don't agree with the sentencing. This guy could be out in 18 months. He was responsible for providing the materials for two bombs. One exploded in an LD3 in NRT that had just been off-loaded from one of our aircraft. Two died. These amateur bombers slipped up on their timing. Could just of easily have slipped up the other way and we would have lost an aircraft. 329 people, mostly Canadian citizens, died on the Air India flight. That he expected (a likely story) the bombs he facilitated to be exported to India for use is still attempted murder in my mind.

His lawyer says Reyat sleeps well at night. In his warped mind he believes he has never killed anyone. There are only two uses for bombs - blow up inanimate objects or blow up inanimate objects that generally have people inside. To be gentle, the guy's either a deluded idiot or plainly a terrorist. Either way he should be in jail for life. I don't want him in my community.

Two more to go. Trials start at the end of next month. They have cost $80 mil so far.

Apollo101
12th Feb 2003, 03:29
I'd point the finger at the Canadian Justice system. I do not have all the facts surrounding the case but It is a pathetic example set for terroris's abroad.

Canada is well know for it's silly imigration policy. Especially at the time of this icident. It was quite easy for these terrorist's to enter the country.

Has anything changed?

innuendo
12th Feb 2003, 04:58
As an aside, if you are called for jury duty in the remaining trial, you could be tied up for two years according to some reports.

SaturnV
12th Feb 2003, 12:01
Perhaps a certain prolific PPRuNe poster on China Airlines 611 will now remove Air India 182 from his list of 747's lost in flight because of a failure of the cargo door latch, but I somehow doubt it.

Pushpak
13th Feb 2003, 03:46
Very very sad, the guy should be put behind for life or more if u ask me.

Orca strait
13th Feb 2003, 14:07
A shameful individual with a shameful outcome. Lets hope the next set of trials bring about conviction and stiff sentencing. How do you come up with a sentence that even remotely reflects the enormity of the crime and the human loss and suffering? These criminals are backed by local and international communities as well as sympathetic political parties. These groups should be on trial as well for their support of such pathalogical criminals.

For the latest on the story: Families had advance word of Reyat deal (http://globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/front/RTGAM/20030213/wxindi0213/Front/homeBN/breakingnews)

---------------------------------
I don't know whether the world is run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
--hypatia

steamchicken
17th Feb 2003, 15:38
It would of course spoil your fun to note that according to above reports he's already done roughly one murder stretch.

Flash2001
17th Feb 2003, 15:49
Good for him! He should now have 328 to go.

pigboat
17th Feb 2003, 19:37
The one murder stretch he has done is for the two deaths in NRT, and it took the Brits to nail the ba$tard for that. This is another, separate crime.
An interesting editorial cartoon in one of the weekend papers showed OBL standing beneath a sign that said "Home Sweet Cave" telling and aide "$crew this, pack the camel, we're heading to Canada." :yuk:

pilgrim
18th Feb 2003, 00:02
5 years for murdering 329 people, and I am sure millions of dollars for the trial, and he will do about 3years, what signal does this send to other terrorist or would be terrorist, 14 days in prision for each person he/she kills .How can the Canadian Legal system.look the relatives in the eye and tell them they have had justice . I am sure the families are totally disgusted.

Ignition Override
18th Feb 2003, 03:58
Maybe it is too bad that Canada has no death sentence, on the other hand, death can be too quick. An alternative solution has just dawned on me, after years of contemplation and a rigorous cost/benefit analysis (as the FAA always does for our passengers' safety).

Too bad that so many Criminal Court judges either are such pansies, and possibly feel that a murderer who had a really tough childhood is an excuse for anything they do.

Drag any such murderer or terrorist about a hundred feet, (or more) behind a slow boat in the Florida or Louisiana swamps during nesting season of the Cottonmouth Moccasin snakes: this species does not consist of many wimps and pu****s (pardon my uncultivated language, ladies), which can be found on the benches of many US Criminal Courts. If the 'skiing student' is alive after two hours of this, just cruise towards a family of alligators who have been patrolling for turtles in the shallow, brackish waters. If this fails, maybe some snapping turtles can be located with sonobuoys from the nearby P-3 squadrons.

As for Saddam Hussein and any other terrorists,

Death From Above

(or below).

BenThere
18th Feb 2003, 19:19
What's the big deal? Millions of people throughout the world just took to the streets to prevent Yanks and Brits from stopping the most prolific murderer alive today. It's cool to march and protest and feel courageous about opposing war. It's less cool to be a powerless victim in an oppressive, merciless dictatorship without a voice. What is going on with the lack of public outrage over the nature and practice of real murderers?

RatherBeFlying
18th Feb 2003, 20:57
Globe and Mail Article (http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030218.wxindi0218/BNStory/National)