PDA

View Full Version : Anti Spam

PCav8or
11th Feb 2003, 01:01
I use MS Outlook & lately I've been getting a lot of spam (8 - 10 per day). Can I set MS Outlook to accept mail only from an address that is already in my address book. It so, how? If not, any suggetions on combating this would be much appreciated.

Very many thanks.

PaperTiger
11th Feb 2003, 01:42
Not easily, but it can be done. Use the Inbox Assistant and for each 'good' address put in a rule that says 'move to inbox'. Then put in a final rule - make sure it's the last one - that says 'for all messages, delete off server'.

What_does_this_button_do?
11th Feb 2003, 01:51
Have you tried Mailwasher?

http://www.mailwasher.net

It's Free and does what it says on the tin.

B

Background Noise
11th Feb 2003, 21:42
Very impressed with MailWasher. Currently only works with pop3 mail and hotmail. It scans your mailbox and shows you the mail without downloading it from the server. You can not only delete unwanted messages without them being downloaded to your email software but also can bounce them back anonymously with a 'this email address doesn't exist' message.

PCav8or
11th Feb 2003, 23:04
*** PaperTiger: Thanks for the response. I'm all thumbs when it comes to a computer. Can you "spell" out how to do this. I can't find the Inbox Assistant.:confused:

**What_does_this_button_do? & Background Noise: Thanks for the info. Will give Mailwasher a try if nothing else works.

PaperTiger
12th Feb 2003, 01:00
Inbox Assistant should be under the Tools menu (I haven't seen a recent Outlook version - it could have moved - use Help to find it). Click Add Rule. Put the good name in the 'from' box and check 'Move to'. The Folder button will become active, click it and select Inbox from the list. Add a rule for all those senders you are prepared to accept. When you've done that, add a final rule - check All Messages (was top right), then Delete Off Server.

The Help should walk you through the process.

(Should probably just do one for your own name first, then send yourself an eMail to make sure it gets through.)

PCav8or
12th Feb 2003, 22:45
Thanks. I'll give it a try. Hope it works....

OzPax1
15th Feb 2003, 23:10
Another good product is SpamNet (http://www.cloudmark.com/) . Only works with Outlook at the moment, but they are working on a version for Outlook Express. Works like a dream, it has picked up all the spam I have recieved since I installed it. And if you do recive anything you submit it too Cloudmark and hey presto everybody else don't get it either...!! Best of all it's free!!!

BlueRobin
17th Feb 2003, 14:06
One of the current limitations in Mailwasher's bounce functionality is that it can only bounce back the e-mail as named in the "From:" field. Naturally, any spammer worth his salt uses a fake "From:" address. The upshot is you often send a bounce msg to an address that doesn't exist. Yet don't let this detract from the product. :cool: