PDA

View Full Version : Moderator - Posting Images

FJJP
10th Feb 2003, 18:44
Dear Mr Moderator,

I'm a simple soul, sort of semi-literate computer-wise. But I still haven't managed to figure out how to post piccys in my replies. I'd be grateful if you would give me the instructions, in words of one syllable, how you make pics appear in posts.

Love,

FJJP

:D

MightyGem
11th Feb 2003, 02:20
Your original topic has been closed for some reason.

First find the image that you want on a website(it has to be already on the web). Right click on that image and go to properties. That will show the web address of that image: for example- http://www.aviationpics.de/preview/jag1.jpg

In front of http insert at the end of the address, insert

Hopefully you should now see the piccie
http://www.aviationpics.de/preview/jag1.jpg

PPRuNe Towers
11th Feb 2003, 14:59
MJ, we don't particularly encourage the posting of images on the site. This is one forum with no shortage of IT industry pros who will understand and possibly even comment on the following paragraph.

This site is essentially text only and is very shortly going to go through the 400 gigabytes of bandwidth per month barrier which we have been brushing against for a few months now. Those of you in the business will therefore know that the site is extremely busy by any method of measurement - astoundingly so for one that is run on an amateur basis.

The upshot is that we don't want the placing of images to be easy because we are already paying for a huge amount of bandwidth. Neutral, third party PPRuNers in the IT world are more than welcome to give comparisons to funded, commercial sites working at a similar scale and throughput.

We're enjoing the low level Jag thread as much as you but if we made it easy we would be out of business by Easter. Perhaps a clever person with a shirt protector and cubicle bruises can indicate their estimate of what it would bo to our bandwidth bill if we had one image per thread on PPRuNe?

Rob

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
11th Feb 2003, 16:22
The owner, and those who are delegated to run the site on the owner's behalf, have the absolute right to specify what is and what is not acceptable on the site. However...

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but if the images are stored on a third-party server, then the PPRuNe server will not get involved in the process of transmitting the images at all. Certainly PPRuNe will have to hand out the URL (which compared to the size of most posts is pretty small), but once it's handed the URL out, then it's up to your PC to fetch the image directly from the third-party server on which it resides (which is, I assume, one of the reasons why you have to have the image on a separate webserver to start with) -- but the image itself never goes near the PPRuNe server at all, surely ?

Again, as the DCP says, if it's policy not to post images then that's the end of it, but I don't actually think that linking to images will substantially affect server bandwidth. Or am I missing something very obvious... ? :rolleyes:

PPRuNe Towers
11th Feb 2003, 18:08
It's the effect on our pagination/request times due to the call out to other servers. Those of you using certain browsers can, for instance, see the hang time while a request to another server for a graphic is complied with. The most noticeable being those of the adverts appearing at the bottom of the page. Slows the server, the page completion etc. Leg bone connected to the knee bone kind of thing. I'm afraid we're stuck with the ads to pay for the bandwidth bill and therefore making callouts to other sites for pic's, graphics and emoticons a cause for some thought helps us keep the server running relatively smoothly for longer.

Our server is not even 10 months old and is already showing strain for a small but significant part of the day now. We have a range of pretty but non esssential options (aka 'eye candy') we can begin switching off to help extend working life - the last one we ever use is knocking out the img command altogether.

Please note - we don't make adding pictures impossible - just laborious enough to make the average PPRuNer think carefully as to the value/impact of the image.

Regards
Rob