PDA

View Full Version : BA £25m profit (2002/Q4)

Localiser Green
10th Feb 2003, 08:01
The turnaround in British Airways' fortunes has continued, with the airline reporting a profit above City expectations.

BA posted a £25m profit for the last three months of 2002, compared with a loss of £160m a year before.

Full Story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2743649.stm)

Sniff
10th Feb 2003, 09:20
Should be Q3 results...

Localiser Green
10th Feb 2003, 09:41
Quite right my mistake. :eek:

3rd quarter of the financial year, 4th quarter of the calendar year.

Goforfun
10th Feb 2003, 09:56
..........all going well until the gulf war starts again.

maxy101
10th Feb 2003, 11:21
Does that mean BALPA should go back and renegotiate the latest pay deal now that things are not as bad as the company made out? So they can afford more than inflation......

Super Stall
10th Feb 2003, 13:01
Pilots did get more than inflation.... Some 20 times more.

BRUpax
10th Feb 2003, 13:55
They might even make more profit if they didn't have outdated credit card rules restricting On-Line reservations. I know several Dutch residents living in Zuid Limburg who no longer fly BA because they want to fly from DUS or BRU but can't book on-line with a Dutch address & credit card unless they depart AMS! Consequently they use other carriers such as BMI and FlyBE who have no such restrictions.

For those of you who failed Geography O Level, DUS and BRU are an average of only 55 mins drive from ZL as opposed to 150-180 mins to AMS depending on the tfc.

Basil
10th Feb 2003, 14:10
BRUpax
BA are alleged to have over 100 people in Ops Research to sort out this kind of anomaly - wonder what they really do :confused:

MarkD
10th Feb 2003, 15:16
BRUpax

post a question to bealine [works for BA LGW] in Pax and SLF forum... he seems clued up! Might know who makes the call.

BRUpax
10th Feb 2003, 21:26
I contacted BA by e-mail about this problem and got a very patronising reply which clearly indicated that the person had not read my e-mail properly and understood the point in question. I e-mailed back explaining it all again in simple terms. No response since. I now no longer fly BA and, as I said, recently discovered that I wasn't the only one. By the way, you can make reservations by telephone (as they pointed out in their reply) but they charge extra for the privilege (as they didn't point out in their reply)!

KEPIT 2 YUSEN
11th Feb 2003, 07:51
Whilst BA making a profit might be todays chip paper - anyone can make a profit if it cuts jobs by the thousands - I bet comparison this time next year will make interesting reading. I suppose it is in the name of "efficiency" but surely the equation must also be true "Too much efficiency eventually equals inefficiency". I flew BA long haul recently and BA LHR was a complete joke. Grossly undermanned at BA what a mess in the terminal all those hundreds of check-in passengers made whilst waiting to check in with the three visible staff.

Think I'll fly Virgin next time!

Anti-ice
11th Feb 2003, 13:17
You want to see how many cabin crew they have removed from the aircraft :eek:

Pretty much getting up to the 1crew per 60 pax ratio in Eurotraveller now - and yet there are more managers than ever:rolleyes:

Easyjet 75% cabin crew.
BA 22% cabin crew.

They'd return a much higher profit if some of the 'suits' went.

Any airline NEEDS frontline staff.

Mister Geezer
11th Feb 2003, 19:10
Let's just wait until the fat lady in Baghdad sings! :eek:

overstress
11th Feb 2003, 21:56
SuperStall

Your statement is factually inaccurate. The pilot pay restructuring was cost neutral to the company.

Tandemrotor
11th Feb 2003, 22:31
But overstress, did you vote yes?

HZ123
13th Feb 2003, 16:35
With far to many managers, with an Albatross like the LGW operation, in general overpaid and underworked Flt & Cabin Crew, Ramp and Operations paid far more than any others in the UK, need I go on. If BA really set its mind to the task we might do rather well.

I doubt EZY will touch DBA that which like much of the LGW exercise has been a bottomless pit to throw money into and get nothing out off. Just when we thought things might get better IB are courted as the future. Mind with them on board at least we can be sure of plenty of EEC aid.

It can't all be bad, for the last 10 years we have always had an ex USA Ambassador to the UK on the board and a fat lot of good that has done toward freeing up any of the USA agreements.

Here is looking at good half term and Easter, 'Peace be with you all'.

HZ123
14th Feb 2003, 08:58
My commenmts of yesterday seemto beborne out. Much of teh finance press is stating that the DBA deal isprobably off. In the main due to the flight crew making unreasonable demands in their pay round. BA should close it down rather than waste any more money.