PDA

View Full Version : Is 500 hours Multi command required in europe??

williamsf1
10th Feb 2003, 06:25
Just curious as to airlines average requirements in europe....

Here in Australia, 500 ME CMD seems to be the norm with all but QF....

of those gaining airline positions, what type of experience did you have???

cheers

Grivation
11th Feb 2003, 15:23
That's a question that not even airline HR departments can answer in Europe. Minimum requirements here are generally driven by who is available and even then they tend to be fairly flexible.

Turboprop and short haul jet jobs usually attract no minimum to apply. Longhaul and the flag carriers will normally want some heavy metal time. As with everywhere else in the world the minimums are just that - who gets the job is another story.

Ref the 500 ME Comm requirement. That is not something that would generally be required for the 1st FO job. The virtual absence of any light twin GA in Europe wouldn't allow it! Despite all the whinging that goes on on this board - Europe would have to be one of the easiest places in the world to get that all elusive first job, although hiring has obviously cooled off dramatically post 911 and with the Gulf problems looming.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of guys/girls I've met here who got their first jobs as turboprop FO's (some even jet FO's!). Compare that to Australia where even to be considered for a turboprop FO you're looking at 1500 hours and if 1000 of that isn't on twins then the CP will start looking sideways at you!!

And would you believe a number of the airlines here still provide cadet sponsorships!! Lucky ******s.

scroggs
11th Feb 2003, 19:53
A requirement for multi-engined command time for a first airline job is almost unheard of within Europe, primarliy because so few have the opportunity to obtain it - unless they're very rich!

Experience requirements vary with the overall commercial environment, but it's fairly typical for a first job to be obtained with around 500 - 1000 hours. Post CPL/IR (fATPL) training, that would largely consist of hour-building on light singles or instructing on same. Any ME time over and above that required for the licence would be a bonus. Two years ago, many airlines were recruiting pilots straight out of flight school!

Scroggs
Virgin/Wannabes Moderator
[email protected]