PDA

View Full Version : commercial flight training schools???

smokinm1
9th Feb 2003, 23:55
can anyone out there point me in the right direction with regards to commercial flight training from scratch! like which flight schools offer the best all round deals here in the uk or could it work out better training abroad?;) tks.....

extrakt
10th Feb 2003, 00:49
Try Icelandic Flight Academy if you want to go abroad - www.flugskoli.is

FlyingForFun
10th Feb 2003, 08:21
Smokinm1,

Wow, that's some question! Whole books could be written on individual phases of the training, and you want a quick post giving you one simple answer to the entire process? Well, it's not going to happen I'm afraid!

I'm assuming that you have absolutely no flying time whatsoever? If that's the case, there are two things you absolutely must do first.

Number one is get a trial lesson. Look up "flying schools" in your local Yellow Pages, give them a ring, and arrange for a 1 hour trial lesson. It's unlikely, but you never know, you might not actually like the sensations of flying once you give it a go. You'll have to have a trial lesson at some point, so best to give it a go before you commit any more time and money to flying.

Once you've done that, get a Class 1 medical. The only place you can do this is at the CAAs office at Gatwick, and it costs £400. If you can't pass the medical, there's not much point carrying on (although it may still be possible to get a PPL or NPPL and fly privately if you're really hooked).

Ok, now you've got that sorted out, the next thing you need to do is get a PPL (that's Private Pilots License - apologies if you knew that, but you haven't given us much to go on regarding your level of knowledge!) The Private Flying forum will be the best place for advice on that.

Good luck!

FFF
--------------