PDA

View Full Version : bmibaby - the rumours

bmibaby.com
9th Feb 2003, 20:26
Well, it seems that for all of us at bmi and bmibaby, we have to have yet another week of suspense, regarding all the rumours, working out which ones are true and which ones are fake.

At the moment, I've heard a number, both through airline and non-airline sources, regarding some of the "things" that might be going on at bmibaby.

1. New Fleet.
Rumour has it bmi/bmibaby is placing a large Airbus short-haul family order.
I've heard A318 (Fokker replacement) A319 (new type) A320 A321 (adding to existing examples)

2. bmibaby being sold
Rumour has it bmi is looking at selling its low-cost subsidiary bmibaby to either another Star Alliance partner, or merging it with another airline. (Lufthansa's German Wings mentioned)

3. bmibaby new hub
Hub either to be Bournemouth (logical as EMA/BOH owned by Manchester Airport Group and buzz's withdrawl), Teeside (?), Belfast (?) or a Scottish hub.

Any ideas?

akerosid
9th Feb 2003, 20:52
There have been lots of rumours on this board about MAN; would think this more likely than BOH; BFS is a possibility, possibly even DUB?

As for acft, an all Airbus fleet for bmi/bmibaby makes sense, BUT my feeling is that since they'll be looking for IAE powered aircraft, they may seek to acquire some from a large US carrier, which might decide (or be forced) to relinquish some of the acft it has on order. Frankly, the 318 doesn't seem likely - a little too heavy. 319/320s seem most likely.

Have heard rumours about a sale, but have heard nothing else.

bmibaby.com
9th Feb 2003, 20:56
I really cannot see there being any potential for the launch of a Manchester base.

bmi british midland and bmi regional are trying to build up Manchester as a major hub, like they're doing at London Heathrow.

I could see A319/A320 big order from United. The airline is trying to reduce the number of types it flies, so maybe they'll get rid of the 320s as otherwise they're all Boeing.

eurostar builder
9th Feb 2003, 23:27
Re 3. bmibaby new hub
Hub either to be Bournemouth (logical as EMA/BOH owned by Manchester Airport Group and buzz's withdrawl), Teeside (?), Belfast (?) or a Scottish hub.
............................................................ ......................................

Bmi Baby has apparently been down to Bournemouth and since
the terminal building has been / is being altered sounds a good possibilty.

Bournemouth To Murcia please

Lets hope so for 200 jobs that was expected to be created.

VIKING9
10th Feb 2003, 08:40
....maybe they are going for their own AOC sooner than originally planned. Maybe the 7 a/c base at LTN is going to be announced :O

Buster the Bear
10th Feb 2003, 10:06
http://www.bmibaby.com/bmibaby/en-gb/sectiondetails.aspx?p=4&Rid=143

eurostar builder
10th Feb 2003, 10:58
or the start of the Bournemouth Hub.

Buster the Bear
12th Feb 2003, 14:27
Tony Davis, managing director of bmibaby said:

"January has been a truly fantastic month for us in terms of bookings and sales on all routes have been good with routes to Spain selling particularly well. We now have to keep building on that success and will shortly be announcing our expansion plans for 2003."

mariners
12th Feb 2003, 16:00
Tony Davis, managing director of bmibaby said:

"January has been a truly fantastic month for us in terms of bookings and sales on all routes have been good with routes to Spain selling particularly well. We now have to keep building on that success and will shortly be announcing our expansion plans for 2003."

latter part of the above is interesting...plans is plural...maybe more than one base?

Buster the Bear
13th Feb 2003, 20:33
If I was Daddy, I would wait to see what the next couple of months brings?

Security alerts are now reasonably common at UK airports and folk here are quite used to hassle, but IF there are horrible actions relating to the Middle East, the price of oil will magnify and so impact on all airlines cost base, ticket prices WILL rise.

As my Daddy often said, "Be prudent". Folk are using low cost simply as it is so cheap compared to other forms of transport. If this cost increases, so will thier apathy to fly?

Now is not quite the time to announce a new base?

But what do I know, I am a Bear?

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/celeb/icon_007.gif

generallee
14th Feb 2003, 14:32
bmibaby.com,

Seems as though you are going to have to suffer/enjoy? more speculation regarding the next (4th) base! :confused:

Back to you for any thoughts/info.

How d'you feel now that MAN have the 3rd base?:*