PDA

View Full Version : sorry cant land broken seat!!

i need a break
9th Feb 2003, 17:50
heard that a My Travel DC10 had to turn back to MAN yesterday as the pilots chair broke and could'nt land as the first officer not allowed to land the aircraft. not sure where it was going to,but know it was very near its destination and had to return to MAN

maybe its about time those old girls where replaced....always going TD

PaperTiger
9th Feb 2003, 19:36
So is it still up there then ? :=

fritzi
10th Feb 2003, 10:07
What was the destination? Would it really have enough fuel to turn back to land at MAN??

Maybe the captain was a little too fat for that old bird :=

Last Sector Power
10th Feb 2003, 10:09
Maybe the Capt should have left his heavy wallet at home:D :D

rupetime
10th Feb 2003, 13:42
What a load of old cr4p - the "pilot's" (Captain's?) chair was broken - first officer couldnt land the plan ? - its illegal for the aircraft to operate without two pilots qualified to "land the plane"

a posting sadly lacking in facts

Down Three Greens
10th Feb 2003, 14:32
Distinct lack of facts, I think.

Knowing the aircraft type, the airfield, tanking policy, the company and the fact we were listening to the HF patch to their operations at the time, you might want to bear the following into consideration.

Tanking fuel to destination????

Captains seat broken (Maintainance availability at Salzburg).

Salzburg is a Cat 'C' airfield. Special procedures, brief and simulator/familiarisation required. Possible Captains only landing?.

I think you might get an idea of the factors affecting the decision to return to Manchester.

Was amusing though.

mjbow2
10th Feb 2003, 20:35
rupetime.....

cant speak for the regs anywhere else...but here in the US there is a concept called High Minimums.....

FO cant land the plane in certain conditions if he/she is on 'high mins' or if the Captain is on 'high mins' and certain environmental conditions arent met then the plane must be landed by the captain.

both pilots are 'qualified' to land but one may not be authorised to land......

christep
11th Feb 2003, 01:31
Purely as an ignorant SLF, could you tell me why it wasn't possible for the Captain to move to the other seat and land the plane from there?

PaperTiger
11th Feb 2003, 01:38
Nosewheel steering tiller is on the Captain's side, can't be reached from the right seat. First Officers are not allowed to taxi the airplane (either).

Rollingthunder
11th Feb 2003, 01:49
Ok, I'm game.

Captain switches to RHS and lands the aircraft.

Stops on the centre line and switches seat back to LHS to taxi her in.

PaperTiger
11th Feb 2003, 03:18
Couldn't keep it on the centreline without the tiller, rt. Rudder not effective below (can't remember) kts.

You splitter
11th Feb 2003, 09:51
Christep,

Purely as an ignorant SLF, could you tell me why it wasn't possible for the Captain to move to the other seat and land the plane from there?

Captains will operate from the lefthand seat (LHS). First officers will operate from the RHS. Whilst it is of course, not impossible to physically fly the aircraft in the other seat the layout of instruments and the movment to operate controls are slightly differant.
It would therefore be considered detremental to safety to have pilots swapping between the two seats.

Certain Training captains will be LHS & RHS rated in order to allow them to conduct training on other Captains. However they have to be RHs checked, which usually means sim training and the oppotunity to flt RHS regularly enough to become familiar with both positions.

Therefore not possible to just swap seats like that.

Cheers
YS

expedite_climb
11th Feb 2003, 10:28
Down three greens,

Is Salzburg Cat C for MYT ??? It isnt for my (similar) company, and as an FO i have landed there.

Yes there are special procedures, but both FO and capt go to sim. Our LVP's the FO does the flying, and the go around if necessary - and it is the GA from 16 that is the problem at SZG.

Carbon Life Form
15th Feb 2003, 03:21
Since the -10 has limited nosewwheel steering through the rudder pedals, what's the problem?

JW411
15th Feb 2003, 16:27
Some DC-10s have nose steering on both sides. Most airlines went for the cheaper option - no surprise there!