PDA

View Full Version : ATPL info needed

liquidhockey
27th Mar 2001, 23:14
Can anyone who is in or has done their ATPL tell me what the work is like? i mean do you have to be a rocket scientist to get through it or do you just have to be reasonably intelligent?
thanx in advance
Dave

EGDR
28th Mar 2001, 01:21
I would'nt worry to much about the theory side. There is a lot to learn, but its not particulary difficult. As long as you take the time to understand the principles behind most stuff you should'nt have problems.

Everybody will tell you that the Meterology part or Instruments or Navigation is 'the' difficult area. Its very subjective, everybody finds different areas either easier or more difficult. I used to hear that its important to have done physics at school or be good a maths. Well ,not really, it helps a little if you have a very basic understanding of physics and the required maths knowledge is all very basic.

If you've done a degree or A levels then you're used to studying and won't have too many problems.

EEzzzepesie

C.M.Y.R.Oket

Rocket Scientist
NASA

[This message has been edited by EGDR (edited 27 March 2001).]

overdoverover
28th Mar 2001, 01:44
Not terribly difficult, just a lot to hold in your head at one time, so lay off the hashish for a while. Good study skills are by far the most effective tool in the box, oh and maybe a can of red bull for radio aids if you're doing them at guildhall. Ask lots and lots of questions.

Mike Oxbig
28th Mar 2001, 19:27
Just passed the Navs on the UK ATPL. Bought the distance learning books from Bristol but did the 4 week ground school as well. The ground school I found invaluable as you can ask questions straight away and it is very well taught. Expensive, but worth the investment. Good luck!

Tarmach
29th Mar 2001, 13:53
Isnt the four week ground school included in the cost at Bristol??

Delta Wun-Wun
29th Mar 2001, 16:22
I have signed up with Bristol,The four weeks ground school is included in the price. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

The man formerly known as
30th Mar 2001, 19:58
Does anyone know what the failure rate is?

When I sat my exams I dropped one (or two)(Thats the price of doing it all by correspondence).

When I went back for the resit I expected to see at least a couple of people back for resits but no-one from the first sitting was there which surprised me. So they were either all S*** hot or they failed the lot.

Whenever I think it is all impossible I remember that every commercial pilot flying passed them so they can't be that hard. I know guys who were milk men and taxi drivers with no great academic back ground who have passed.Its all down to how much work you put in.

Do it. If you don't you'll never know if you were good enough to pass.