PDA

View Full Version : Cabair Instructors

DH89A
27th Mar 2001, 23:04
What's happening to Cabair Instructors?

I hear that Cabair26 has, finally, retired to the golf club.....have a good one D.H-E.....and that two or three more twin guys are on their way.

Is this just rats leaving the sinking ship, or is Thiefcoat and Greed's attitude toward their staff finally coming home to roost?

[This message has been edited by DH89A (edited 27 March 2001).]

Ennie
28th Mar 2001, 15:42
Cabair 26 has finally gone to the 19th hole for good. Best of luck to D.H - E & cheers for everything! I hear some ex students are coming back to instruct on the flying sperm...from what I hear the ship is well on it's way down!

Honest Frank
28th Mar 2001, 19:29
I definately wont lose any sleep if they do go.
Thiefcote and Gread -Kiss my arse.

BN2A
28th Mar 2001, 19:48
After three years of promising, 26 is now no more....
It was a privelige to draw our landing competition on his last flight :)
Even better to be on board during the 'Undercarriage Inspection' ;)

The final R/T...
-Cabair 26, request dropoff for the final time.
-Cabair 26, drop the old man off for the final time.
-Drop the old man off for the final time, Cabair 26.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

Fly_146
28th Mar 2001, 21:56
I understand that 8 (EIGHT!) flying instructors will be gone by August the latest, which will have a BIG impact on such a small operation.

They are now asking ex-students still without a job to come back and do some distruction on those 'delightful' katanas!

I think Thiefcote and Gread lost the plot years ago... they should hurry up and sell-out before they take Cabair down with them! They are certainly taking cost cutting to an extreme when it comes to their commerical college;

* Replacing 5A's with Kit-build Katanas (but charging the same course price)
* Scrapping most of the advanced single engine training in favour of more (cheaper) sim hours (but charging the same course price)
* Planning to do 'in-house' MCC course rather than at the ATP (but charging the same course price)
* Scrapping the Induction Adventure weekend at Bramley Lakes for new cadets (but charging the same course price)
* Charging their cadets a 'fuel surcharge' of up to £760, even though fuel prices have FALLEN by around 13% over the last few months (but will insist the charge must still be paid)

I also understand EPST are looking at sending their cadets to Jerez (probably because BA have started training there!). Although they still use Cabair for the time being.

How long will it be before KLMuk, BritEuro and Air2B wake up and smell the rot! Not long I suspect.

Its still a great place to fly! (cough)

[This message has been edited by Fly_146 (edited 30 March 2001).]

Fly_146
28th Mar 2001, 22:11
-

[This message has been edited by Fly_146 (edited 29 March 2001).]

Riddler
29th Mar 2001, 01:13
So riddle me this:

If Cabair is not going down the drain then why are they selling off so much at the moment, firstly Southend goes and now Bournemouth. With the recent price hikes and low morale I would bet that the students are leaving in droves, it would seem that the only profitable piece of the business now is the college which is now not looking good with the looming resignations of atleast 4 of thier commercial instructors.

Not suprising really when they treat all employees with utter contempt. I have heard that it is not just the commercial instructors leaving either, alot of the PPL instructors are looking elsewhere, as mentioned above it wont be long before KLM(uk) and Jersey European start to wonder why so many sponsored instructors are jumping ship before the 2 year term is up. With most of the other airlines already going elsewhere the writing could be on the wall for my mate Colin and his cronies :)

ALKIN Hold
29th Mar 2001, 12:42
I've been showing interest in Cabair's modular CPL/IR/MCC for over a year now. Last year they never called back when I got in touch for more information.

Now they are continually calling me to see if I need more info and when I want to start.

Tough times at Castle Cranfield?

(I've decided to go elsewhere btw)

capt_kangeroo
29th Mar 2001, 13:01
Having had the pleasure (NOT!) of flying with Cabair and then unfortunately working for them I can only say "What goes around comes around".

After years of crapping on their students and staff they deserve everything they get. I am not sure that they will fold but things have got to be getting tough for them......

springbok449
29th Mar 2001, 19:38
First of all good luck to DHE he deserves a good golfing career.
Fly 146 for your info EPST are not sending their cadets to Jerez however they are looking into it and also BA do not have any cadets there on the full courses but only a few for the jet orientation course.
As mentioned above what goes around comes around for Scabair and the arrogant thief.

Stall Inducer
29th Mar 2001, 20:35
So DHE has finally retired - fine instructor all the best on the Golf Course - (passing 3000ft climbing 4000ft 100kts)

Boeing Freak
30th Mar 2001, 00:12
He threatened for long enough! Now he's finally done it. It wont be long before he's back.

As for his golf, may his shaft be stiff and his balls go far! (Golfing talk he he)

BF

Mr Bombastic
30th Mar 2001, 00:33
Slow down folks http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif....Yes CBR26 has sadly retired http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif ,......a few have left before him, and,....some will surely follow. But there are still a few quality guys keeping the ship afloat. The problems for scabair have arisen from their miscalculation in bringing in a/c unsuitable for training, and the ill-thought-out syllabus. Add to this their poor respect for staff :mad: and you can see why people are leaving, no doubt they will struggle to hold on to their present lot of instructors. Past students coming back as instructors to teach on the 'new' JAR syllabus will find it difficult, and these typical cheapskate tactics will only hasten and bring about the inevitable drop in standards. 26 saw it all coming, and would've probably hung around there a bit longer, :rolleyes:,..... but the golf, squash, rotary club, and the thought of not having to risk breaking his back getting into one of their 'Katangas' suddenly became too appealing.

Wee Weasley Welshman
30th Mar 2001, 03:39
I have to say that the Katanas did seem a very poor choice of a/c at the time. Fine for economic PPL General Handling on lazy weekends but not CPL training.

As the shortage of instructors continues to grow Wannabes should take heart that at least some employment may be available for them. That said with Virgin EI and the looming recession.... :-(

DH89A
30th Mar 2001, 04:06
Boeing Freak....

You may well be right about DH-E returning to flying!
My spies tell me that he has already made noises in this direction.The noises have been heard further south than Cranfield.....could they come from Spain? Good golf courses!Cheap red wine!
Could he be a Cygnet?

DH89A
30th Mar 2001, 04:13
Is Cabair 16 on his way as well?

Who is left at that place who has any commercial flying experience?

The whole of the Opps. Dept. is leaving as well......Goose Bay and Wittering seem to have more pull than Cranfield..I wonder why?

[This message has been edited by DH89A (edited 30 March 2001).]

Fly_146
30th Mar 2001, 04:56
What happened to Cabair at Bournemouth does anyone know? I thought that was a good unit down there. Only just realised Bournemouth and Southend have gone from their website. Is there more to follow?

Riddler: I think the problem at the PPL schools was that the instructors where suddenly only being paid for four days work, not five - along with various other financial scams in the package. That was the last straw for many of them.

springbok449
30th Mar 2001, 15:45
Hey stall inducer I bet you climb at more then 100 KTS these days, or do you?
So are we going to have a cygnet 26 now I'd better watch out when I go to AGP then.

ickle black box
31st Mar 2001, 02:09
At the end of the day, any business needs new business, or repeat business.

2 years ago, I walked into Cabair in Elstree, explained that I had 60hrs gliding, and wanted to do a PPL. I spoke to an instructor (Could tell by the uniforn), and a member of staff. Neither showed any interest what-so-ever, in me. I'd planned to do my PPL in the US, but had been recommended to go to Cabair, by one of their former instructors.

Neither person I spoke to tried to sell Cabair, and the instructor didn't seem to want to even speak to me (He was behind a desk thingy, I'd not stopped him on route to a lesson). Although I was planning on doing the PPL in the US, a good sales pitch, interest and dedication from Cabair could have changed this.

End result: PPL done in Florida, with OBA, which I was entirly happy with.

ickle

monument
1st Apr 2001, 18:25
SCABAIR have a big attitude problem, the whole company needs a new prime minister or thet're going DOWN. People are onto their money grabbing, bad service, don't get what you paid for, low quality attitude. Just check out their JAR mod results.

I guess most of the schools have there faults, but SCABAIR under the command of thiefcoat has planty.

Secret Squirrel
2nd Apr 2001, 01:09
D-HE was my instructor for the whole of my course and I learnt a lot from the old bugger. Incidentally, when did he become Cabair 26? He was Cabair 06 when I were a lad. Lucky old sod also flew the Vulcan, although he was never that enamoured of it.

Good Luck, Dave.

------------------
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam up my clothes!

TheNavigator
2nd Apr 2001, 14:07
Hi all,

I went to Cabair in Elstree twice and both times I got out saying - "No, not here!"

They just didn't bother to take a few minutes and listen to my questions and queries. They had 2 chances to gain a costumer and they lost it very easily ...

I think that it might be a good idea to change attitude.. otherwise just close the business!

TheNavigator

[This message has been edited by TheNavigator (edited 02 April 2001).]

threadbare
2nd Apr 2001, 15:07
Good luck to 16 and 26, both great flying instructors. Perhaps the saddest part of all of this is that the ground school, flight school and ops the staff have all been terrific throughout the last year with the appalling JAR course, thanks to them all.

Fly_146
3rd Apr 2001, 04:36
True, but JAR is no longer a justified reason for poor performance, more an excuse.