View Full Version : Blue Angels formation

Onan the Clumsy
9th Feb 2003, 03:29
Does anyone know why in all (ok, both) the photographs of the Blue Angels I've seen, they seem to fly

3 2
5 4 6

Why not

2 3
4 5 6

Ex Douglas Driver
9th Feb 2003, 05:25
Speaking generically, it's because any large formation is made up by combining seperate elements, which have been put together following SOPs.

#2 joins on the right of the lead, with #3 joining afterwards on the left. #4 joins to the box position flying line astern on #1.
From there 5 and 6 tag on the outside, following the odd numbers on the left rule.

If and when the formation splits, they detach in reverse order. This ensures that each member knows who's formating off who.

As for why #3 is on the left, I don't actually know. My thoughts are that it harder flying echleon left (only by a very minor degree!!) and #3 is usually a more senior pilot - being the deputy lead.

Off course, as soon as you start doing wifferdale-type formations, conventions go out the window, and you just do what the leads briefs.:D

mr hanky
9th Feb 2003, 06:37
Roulettes fly the same formation. In their case 5 & 6 are the synchro pair, so it makes sense having them at the outer corners where they can separate easily and symmetrically (which wouldn't be the case with 5 in line astern off lead). Not sure if the Blue Angels have a similar synchro pair arrangement.

John Eacott
10th Feb 2003, 02:17
Malarky Jim explained to us young Midshipmen that odds are always to the left, evens to the right. Same as the No 1 engine is the port engine, No 2 the starboard.

Maybe a furphy, but it seemed to make sense at the time.

Onan the Clumsy
10th Feb 2003, 13:30
Ok, Thanks. That all makes sense.

Back to civvie street now. :=