PDA

View Full Version : Vale Les Morris

jetstar21
8th Feb 2003, 02:23
As the result of a training accident at Camden airport last night, well known ATO/Instructor Leslie W Morris passed away in Liverpool hospital this morning.

Les was a truly talented, professional and experienced airman who gave the industry everything. He will be sadly missed.

Condolences to his family.

Ascend Charlie
8th Feb 2003, 22:16
Les Morris was killed in a crash at Camden on Friday night.

Les has been in the aviation scene since Pontius was on Pilate's course - in fact I think Les did his test. His involvement in aviation was immense, and there would be few people flying today in the Sydney area who have not had some contact with him. He was one of the busiest ATOs in Bankstown, with over 40,000 hours logged. Rest in Peace, Les, you have earned a break.

Man killed in air accident
February 9 2003
The Sun-Herald

One man has died and another is fighting for his life after a light air crash in Sydney's south-west.

The pair were dragged from their burning twin-engine craft, which came to grief during emergency take-off and landing practice, about two kilometres short of Camden airfield on Friday evening.

Property owners heard a loud noise and found the flaming wreckage of the Beechcraft Duchess in a paddock just after 9.30pm.

Police called to the scene pulled clear the two occupants, both of whom had suffered severe burns, rescue authorities said.

The men, aged 67 and 51, were rushed to Camden Hospital.

The older man was later transferred to Liverpool Hospital but died about 9.30am yesterday.

The other man remained under intensive care, his condition critical.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is investigating
the accident

Captain Gerry
8th Feb 2003, 23:48
Les was my instructor at 1BFTS. He taught me all the basics properly for which I will be forever grateful. I'm saddened to hear this news. A true professional and a good bloke.

RIP

knobjuice
9th Feb 2003, 11:22
Les was a true gentleman. To say that he will be missed is an understatement, because the fact is that he is irreplaceable!!
R.I.P Les

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
10th Feb 2003, 07:16
Read an article about Les in one of the Sydney News Papers last year, my god that man has acheived alot, met him about two months later, it's rather daunting to think that someone with so many skills and experience can come to greif in an aeroplane, what chance does someone like me have ?.

MoFo
10th Feb 2003, 21:13
Les had a short career with Australian Airlines MK1 on B737, but left rather hurriedly, so few had a chance to have a farewell beer with him.

Always a gentleman in my view.

Rest in peace.

Huw Jorgen
10th Feb 2003, 23:12
Truly a likeable old rogue of a character was Leslie William. Having known and worked with him on and off for many, many years (and having done the odd renewal with him from time to time) it is extremely sad to see his flying end in such a dreadful manner.

MoFo, I would probably not highlight Les' period with Australian - the timing was such that it might needlessly generate unproductive comment and the circumstances surrounding the departure, likewise, are not worth further thought in the present circumstances.

jetstar21
11th Feb 2003, 12:07
A service for Leslie W Morris is to be held at the Northern Suburbs Crematorium (Sydney) at 11.15am on the 14th February.

A very talented, knowledgeable and experienced airman. Also, a great friend. R.I.P. Les.