View Full Version : What is the real cost of war?

SASless
8th Feb 2003, 13:33
How do we measure the costs of war? Any ideas on what the real costs of war are?

qwertyuiop
8th Feb 2003, 13:45
I read somewhere that the UK actually profited from the last Gulf war. Something about increasing oil price (UK is a net exporter of oil) generating greater income than fuel and munitions used.

BlueWolf
8th Feb 2003, 22:47
The financial costs of waging war are probably easily calculated, and also probably impressively large. I think I recall reading somewhere that the cost of GW1 was between $40 Billion and $90 billion US dollars, in 1991 terms, over and above the cost of running the military forces of the nations involved had there not been a war, and depending on what was included and/or admitted to.

ORAC would probably know off the top of his head; not that I'm suggesting that I'm too idle to do the research;)

As to the human, and other, intangible, costs.....hell, where do you start, let alone finish?

Perhaps more poignantly, depending on the circumstances, what may be the costs of not having a war - on either account?

ORAC
8th Feb 2003, 23:05
The National Audit Office estimates the 1991 Gulf War cost the UK a gross figure of £2.5bn. That was reduced to a net figure of half a billion after contributions from allies. (The Saudis' reimbursed the cost of all fuel, weapons, aircraft etc).

If you take into account the reduced training costs and losses during the year, you can actually make a case for a profit.

The true cost was in the lives lost on both sides and those still suffering, both military and civilian. You just have to trust that it was cheaper than the alternative.

"Ministry of Defence: The Costs and Receipts Arising from the Gulf Conflict. HC 299, Parliamentary Session 1992-93"

A Civilian
8th Feb 2003, 23:22
You could say there's financial, environmental, personnel, psychological. If you want the 'real stuff' to do with the cost of war look up the history of the IMF, the World Bank and the Bretton Woods project.

The IMF's unoffical policy is 'Its Only Money' :D

Not a loll'a people know thiz but the US pays for 25% of Russia's armed forces budget. You ain't here'd it ere r'oit.