PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 Medical certificate issue - incorrect expiry date

Miss Bigglesworth
8th Feb 2003, 12:41
I've noticed that on my medical certificate the expiry date is incorrect. (At least I think it is!) I had my medical in May 2000, at the age of 29, so my medical should expire in May 2005, correct? (Class 2 Validity period - 60 months if under 30)
My medical certificate states that the expiry date is March 2003 ! Unfortunately, the examiner no longer carries out CAA medicals, and I've got no way of contacting him. More fool me for not realising before now, but does anyone know if I can get this changed ? I really can't afford to shell out for unnecessary medicals.

dmdrewitt
8th Feb 2003, 14:44
Contact the CAA Medical Department

+44 (0)1293 573700

Have your CAA reference number to hand when you call.

Jumbo Liar
9th Feb 2003, 17:42
Sorry, but I think you will find that the expiry date on your certificate is correct, just proving that the AME did, after all, know the rules better than you. Am I right in presuming that your birthday is in March ?

JAR-FCL 3.105 (a) (2) states that Class 2 certificates shall be valid for 60 months under the age of 30,

BUT ( !! )

JAR-FCL 3.105 (a) (4) then goes on to state that despite (2) above, a certificate issued prior to the holder's 30th birthday will not be valid for Class 2 privileges after his or her 32nd birthday.

Guess you'd better start saving for the next medical soon ! Only good thing (expense wise) is that you do not need the ECG again until you get beyond 40 years !

ItsAllGreekToMe
12th Feb 2003, 22:19
I would have thought that the young lady who started this subject would at least have thanked Jumbo for such a clear and concise answer. Obviously a man who knows his JAR regulations very concisely !

PS - I know that his information is absolutely spot-on, since
I am an AME !
Under the old UK rules (prior to JAR) the same thing happened at 40yrs for class 3's ...... they were "under no circumstances valid beyond the holder's 42nd birthday"

Andy Tobias
12th Mar 2003, 21:58
must be a fair number of peole confused by this rule. It's a pity it's not printed on the certificates.

Terrain Ahead!
12th Mar 2003, 23:10
Old caa days im sure this question came up in the Air law exam - re the caa class three and age 40.