PDA

View Full Version : Work in Alaska

M/V
8th Feb 2003, 03:53
Hi,

Can anyone out there give me the lowdown on working in Alaska, in particular what the larger companies are like to work for ie ERA, Evergreen, AirLog ? Thank you, Regards M/V

B Sousa
8th Feb 2003, 10:53
Based on your Profile, Im sure you would find work easily in Alaska. Working for the larger companies almost always requires seniority within the company unless you marry the owners daughter. Seniority up there means low pay and dont touch the controls until I tell you... Thats not that they are bad to work for, its just that you normally have to start from the bottom.
Smaller companies that is not always so, BUT along with that is low pay anyway, crap conditions and questionable maintenance.
I really think that the attitude sometimes is that THEY are allowing you to fly in Alaska, so take what you get and go away in the fall.
As with any job, its what you want and what you make out of it and Alaska is a beautiful but unforgiving place (if you can find time off)
Do a season and see what you think. Now is the time to get in their faces and I mean if you want a job, physically go up there and beat on doors. That puts you at the top of the resume pile and also lets you see a bit of the country.

rotorboy
8th Feb 2003, 17:45
ERA- Tours in Juno and Denali park. or off shore on the Kenai. Anything besides that the senority thing comes in to play.

Airlog AK-mostly field based seasonal contracts. Pay good ,3500 2 on 2 off, but you work your off weeks, plus away from base pay. 206, 206l, 407. I think they have 212 working up north off shore these days. nice aircraft.

Temsco- Tours Skagway/juno, nice country put subsitance wage. good gear. Some field based 500 work, pays a little better.

Prism-500d's. Canadian company working on Soloy's 135 cert, Manily gov field based work , Kadastral survey. Pays ok.

Evergreen- Well i'll behave, and let someone else go there.

I have covered the big ones..

later RB

I could be a little off on some of these number , should be pretty close.