PDA

View Full Version : Where to obtain my Professional Licence…?

tanz
7th Feb 2003, 21:41
I am keen to pursue a career in aviation and would be very grateful for any advice. My ambition is to achieve the level of CPL/IR with MCC training to frozen ATPL level through a JAA accredited FTO offering an integrated ATP course (and possibly FI training to gain experience). I have been looking into flight schools in North America due to the potential cost savings and training continuity because of the improved weather, and because I am able to dedicate 1-2 years full time in achieving my goal. Most of the FTO’s I have found appear to be located in Florida, and although I would consider a suitable school in any part of the U.S., can anyone provide me with information relating to the credibility of organisations such as Comair, European Flight Training, International Flight Training Academy, Naples Air Center, Orlando Flight Training, Ormond Beach Aviation and RexAir before deciding where to place my hard earned cash?

Finally, I am 31 years of age. Considering that I am unlikely to be adequately qualified before the age of 33/34, would this be held against me when looking for suitable employment?

ILS_approach
7th Feb 2003, 22:27
Numerous threds on this subjects...
Do a search here!

Flypuppy
7th Feb 2003, 22:37
Hi tanz,

If you are considering a career as pilot, it is a useful exercise to trawl through many of the posts in some of the other forums to get an idea of what the industry is like at the moment, even just reading through the Who Should Pay? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80244) thread will give you an idea of what to expect once you have completed your training.

If you want info on the schools you mention use the search function on PPRuNe and be prepared for a long afternoons reading!

The cost savings of training in the States may not be as big as you might think, but if you can get an FAA as well as a JAA licence then that may be a bonus (assuming you can get a green card). There is also a school of thought that states "Train where you intend to fly" i.e. if you are aiming for a job in Europe train there so you can get a good feel for the climate, ATC, restrictions etc etc.

As for age, it wont be a negative point, but then again it won't be a positive one either. In other words, it probably won't make much difference.

If you want to ask any questions please do feel free to drop me a PM.

Sir Donald
8th Feb 2003, 00:45
What ever you do, avoid considering IFTA in the USA. Personal experience.They are very good ''on selling'' however providing is a different story.
If you are intending on working in Europe, its a good idea to undertake your training here, especialy the Instrument Rating.
Good luck.