PDA

View Full Version : Accommodation

rich49
7th Feb 2003, 18:17
I am looking into undertaking a Modular course for pilot training, possibly with OATS. However I have a question, when undertaking flight training, do you have to stay on the site at the collage? What about ATPL theoretical training? Do you have to stay on the collage then? Or can you live at home and drive to the airport every day?
Also, how may people actually pay for the integrated training? The course is £60 000 and the accommodation is £10 000 not to mention the cost of flights to Tyler, etc etc. How do people pay for integrated training???
Cheers

window-seat
8th Feb 2003, 18:02
Try sunny Spain instead mate!!! (all inclusive, and roll out of bed into your class or plane.........or the bar)!!!! :p

W-S

witchdoctor
8th Feb 2003, 19:43
Rich,

I can only comment on accomodation at OAT. No, you don't have to live in at the airport regardless whether you go modular or integrated, or completing groundschool or flight training.

I personally would avoid the airport accomodation as it is pretty grim (rather like an open prison actually - just ask Mister Geezer) and the meals are very very poor value and only avalable at restricted times. However, renting out is expensive as this is Oxfordshire unfortunately, so budget anywhere from £700 - £900 a month for a 2-3 bed house to share in Kidlington or Woodstock (much better & good choice of pubs). Most students plan to live out.

As for the US, all costs for flights and accomodation should be included, but you still need to budget for all your grub as it is self-catering.

Add all that to the cost of any of the courses and it gets even more bloody expensive, so plan on an extra £10K (if you're carefull you can spend much less) which should cover all extras including any additional flying or re-tests if you are unlucky.

window-seat
8th Feb 2003, 23:45
Re: post 2

additional cost of food £0.00
(appart from maybe Friday nights - Pizza or Tapas for a change)

additional cost of transport £0.00
(appart from physical exhaustion - 30 second walk into ops, or a taxi into town - £6 between 4 of you)

additional cost of accommodation £0.00
(unless you require further training, or an hour at the 'Hotel Club):eek:

Unfortunatley however, other areas of expense do still exist:-

1, Up to date passport (always useful for a commercial pilot) and you will be flying your warrior into Faro, Portugal - (mind that 767)!!!
2, Swimming / Beach wear
3, Sun Cream
4, And the odd flight to and from the UK (I belive both Brittania and Ryanair may be flying direct to JRZ, or you can always fly in an Orange and White 737 into MGA for as little as £32.50)
;)

Don't get me wrong, it is not perfect, but where is?????

Good Luck,

W-S.