PDA

View Full Version : Old Ansett planes likely to stay parked

Wirraway
7th Feb 2003, 17:58
Fri "The Australian"

Old Ansett planes likely to stay parked
By Steve Creedy, Predictions
February 07, 2003

OFFICIALS at Boeing have bad news for Ansett's long-suffering administrators: the market for the failed airline's older planes remains grim and is likely to stay that way.

Boeing says in its latest market outlook the number of aircraft parked after September 2001 has stabilised at about 2000 aircraft, or about 12 per cent of the current world fleet. But only about 450 of the most modern planes are expected to return to service.

Airlines are eschewing older planes to buy new, more efficient aircraft as they rebuild schedules.

Boeing Commercial Airplanes vice-president of marketing Randy Baseler said in Sydney yesterday that Boeing believed most of the 1200 older aircraft would never return to service.

"There's really two reasons," he said. "One is that (these) airplanes are very inefficient compared to the newer airplanes on operating costs. But more importantly, airlines are trying to get rid of these airplanes to get their infrastructure costs down."

Mr Baseler outlined a cautiously optimistic view of the future which he said took into account a short war with Iraq but would have to be scrapped if the conflict was prolonged.

Boeing expects economic growth to return and traffic growth to rebound to its long-term trend and airlines will move back into the black by next year as they make consumers pay more.

It predicts a higher growth in air travel for the Asia-Pacific, with annual growth averaging 6.2 per cent, compared to a world average of 4.9 per cent and 3.5 per cent in North America. This would see the Asia-Pacific market triple in size and by 2021 become almost as big as North America.

Global growth is expected to drive a doubling of the world fleet over the next two decades as airlines need 24,000 new aircraft to meet demand and replace retiring planes. Barring a prolonged Iraqi conflict, Boeing expects air travel to recover this year in lagging markets such as the US and over the Atlantic and the Pacific.

Airlines are expected to maintain current levels of reduced capacity and, as traffic recovers, to begin to axe deeply discounted fares.

"Airline profits will return some time in late 2003-04," Mr Baseler said.

Boeing retains significantly different market expectations to European rival Airbus, particularly in the super jumbo category, and is concentrating its resources on intermediate size aircraft.

Kaptin M
8th Feb 2003, 10:35
"Ansett's long-suffering administrators".

Yeah, poor beggars!!

The old girl must still be a pretty good cash cow for M&M (and the "senior ex-AN "managers"), who are able to maintain their extemely comfortable lifestyle as they slowly carve her up.

How about we set up a welfare fund for the "long suffering administrators"! :rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
8th Feb 2003, 10:36
Hmmm...I wonder if those 2 clowns will listen to Boeing? Seeing they won't listen to the local experts!:mad:

I saw a lovely white 767 doing an engine run the other day. Very pretty! I wonder how much it cost to get it to that condition?

As a friend pointed out to me the other day, they are running the old AN maint. base as if there was an airline still parking out the front!

SELL THE DAMN HANGAR TO QF AND THE AIRCRAFT FOR SPARES!!!!

:mad: :* :mad: :} :mad: :* :mad:

LooseConnection
8th Feb 2003, 17:49
Buster Hyman - Become a Masochist, enjoy the pain you deserve it :D :D :D :D

Kwaj mate
12th Feb 2003, 11:15
They did a better job at Flight West.
At least that group got their hands on a real prize and all for next to nothing.
Yet management still can not get it right.
Ho hum.

Bankstown
13th Feb 2003, 04:26
VH-CZB was fired up and departed off runway 27 this morning!

Pimp Daddy
13th Feb 2003, 06:14
VH-EWS has apparently been bought by Albanian Airlines, at least, that's who's colours it has been painted in.

Unfortunately being a 146 it would only contribute another $3.50 to the coffers - half a latte each for the Marks.

Eastwest Loco
13th Feb 2003, 07:17
EWS was one of the girls with the centre-wing tanks wasnt she?

She was one of the most reliable of the fleet and like her immediate predecessor had excellent on time performance.

I know the poor old junior jumbo cops a bagging from many, but I cannot recall a single "fumes in the cabin" incident at eenie weenie.

Maybe it was a function of maintainence and/or the level the aircon has been backed off to. Interested to hear opinions on this.

However, one of our girls is departing and I am pleased she will be belting around the Balkans getting in the way of quicker jets and making her presence felt.

Hopefully, in the corner of a hold, there is a tiny piece of Tamworth soil off a bag snatchers sandshoe, and maybe a little off one of mine.

May she serve long and well.

EWL

Night Watch
13th Feb 2003, 10:06
I would have thought that VH-JJY (146 freighter) would have been snapped up, especially considering that the HS 748s and the 727s working for AAE are constantly breaking down. I guess the administrators want some ridiculous price for an aircraft that really should be sold off for a song.

Buster Hyman
13th Feb 2003, 10:48
Yes Night Watch, I was doing a wee bit of networking the other day and it suprised me how AAE haven't been able to pick up the 146F's, considering how they have the skies to themselves somewhat.

Once again, as you suggested, the 2 clowns are probably asking for the same price that they were bought for! How much of a benefit would be achieved by holding out for a better price? Even if they were bought for the asking price, surely we would lose big time when you add in the cost of keeping them airworthy from Sept 01!!! I'll stop now before I get my angry face out!