PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow College of Nautical Studies

Red_Devil
27th Aug 2001, 11:43
Good Bank Holiday Monday to all,

Does anyone know of this ATPL/DL provider? I can't find a website or any details. Any snippets from ppruners will be most appreciated.

RD

Mach 1
27th Aug 2001, 13:52
Glasgow College of Nautical Studies will be the establishment you are thinking of, and offers a JAA ATPL theory course.

The course is run by ex BAe instructors from Prestwick who didn't move to Jerez with the school.

The link you require is:
http://www.glasgow-nautical.ac.uk/Courses/Maritime/transportstudies/jaaatpl.htm

From what I've heard, it is an excellent course - think it costs about £2500 from memory.

Hope this helps

Mach 1

Red_Devil
27th Aug 2001, 14:46
Mach 1

Many thanks.. just what I was looking for! :)

RD

XENON
27th Aug 2001, 20:29
Hi,
has anyone completed the full time course at Glasgow and if so what did you do for accomodation?

Metsys
28th Sep 2001, 21:53
Does anyone have any info about training at Glasgow, I have never seen any reports or comments on this college from the group.

Any info welcome

JB007
29th Sep 2001, 00:25
Had a mate up-there last year, he couldn't really fault them...

And as a plus point for you Metsys, a lot cheaper living than Dorset....and Scottish girls... http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/awink.gif

laurie
29th Sep 2001, 00:35
is the course at Glasgow a residential one for the duration - I mean is all of it taught in the classroom environment.

Or is it part correspondence / part class.

If anyone has been there could you say what the correspondence time to class time ratio is.

Thanks

jet_girl
29th Sep 2001, 02:19
hey, Im at the nautical college doing the full time course at the moment. They run 2 kinds of course full time and distance learning.
The full time course is 30 week duration where students can stay at halls of residence or in flats etc. Its taught in a classroom style for 840 hours and the average class is around 10.

Distance learning is split into two modules
module 1 consists of 345 hrs distance learning and 60 hrs full time ground school.
Module 2 consists 344 hrs and 60 frs full time ground school.
As I say I am studing there at the moment and am enjoying it and have no complaints about the staff or facilities.
For more infor the web site is www.glasgow-nautical.ac.uk (http://www.glasgow-nautical.ac.uk)
and don't hesitate to contact me if there is anything else I can help you with. :)

EGDR
29th Sep 2001, 05:26
Jet Girl

were you sitting some of your exams in August (with the pipe band background music ) ????

Atlanta
29th Sep 2001, 15:01
I have seen a few comments on Glasgow on this forum, all of them favourable and one or two even glowing.

If you search back into earlier posts you will probably be able to find them even now. Good luck Kid!

What goes up, must come down and its a bl***y good landing as long as you can walk away from it!

laurie
30th Sep 2001, 16:50
Jet_Girl:

Could you pass on to the administrator at Glasgow College of Nautical Studies that their website is down?

I am considering which would be the best choice between them and Bristol Groundschool....

Laurie

Megaton
1st Oct 2001, 15:46
Web site appears to be working again.

Tosh McCaber
1st Oct 2001, 16:10
As a matter of interest, how much do they charge, and do they charge VAT?

Continental Drifter
2nd Oct 2001, 02:10
The cost for the full time JAA ATPL theory over 28 weeks is ( a reasonable) £2544. For the distance learning : £1950. Both exc. exam fees and course equipment.
I was up there 2 weeks ago to have a look around and it seems to be a very suitable place to get your head down and study. The instructors are mainly all ex-British Aerospace (Prestwick), the classes are small and the full time course is a lengthy 840 hrs. Plus they don't seem very preoccupied with just extracting your hard-earned. The down side really (as you all know) is whether to go into full time training at the present moment. :confused:

spitfire747
11th Jan 2002, 20:09
Does anyone have any experience of the ATPL ground course offered by Glasgow College of Nautical Studies

Thanks

Final Destination
12th Jan 2002, 03:22
Hi Spitfire747,I know someone who's studying tha ATPL course at Nautical. So I will get in contact with them and let you know what they say.
Cheers FD.

emu
12th Jan 2002, 18:50
I recently completed the course at GCNS and would recommend it. Good price, good lecturers and on the whole good material - if you can live without colour. Accom is also cheap if you don't live locally.

aultguish
24th Jun 2002, 18:48
Sat here filling out my application for my ATPL exams. Before I chose my secondary location, can anyone tell me if the Glasgow venue is actually in Glasgow or whether it is still half an hour south at Prestwick??

Flypuppy
24th Jun 2002, 18:57
It is pretty close to the center of Glasgow at the Nautical College

aultguish
24th Jun 2002, 18:59
Thanks Flypuppy, that'll do me nicely.

Flypuppy
24th Jun 2002, 19:01
In fact here is a map of where it is (http://www.glasgow-nautical.ac.uk/introduction/section2/where.htm)

and a link to the hotel (http://www.city-discounts.com/hotel_discounts/GLA_glasgow/GLA_DAYS_hotel_discounts.html)

aultguish
24th Jun 2002, 19:15
Cheers matey, all saved on my PC.
Thanks

mad_jock
24th Jun 2002, 22:47
Its actually a pretty good exam venue especially if you sitting nav exams.

They have cheap accom, and you get 2 desks to spread you stuff over. The only horror storys i have heard is the world bagpiping championships on Glasgow green.

As a personal note the Scotia bar serves a good pint. If you go over the bridge to the west of the college its on the left hand side. If you go south your into Bandit country but if you drive up your car is safe in the car park.

Good luck

MJ

captainmacuk
25th Jun 2002, 08:21
Hi there,

I live 10 miles away from the college, Im applying to enroll on the sept03 course after I have completed the PPL and IMC, in jan03,great college, heard a lot of good things about the course and peter bainbridge who is the head of training for the atpls there
just dont stray to to the south of the college, ned land known as the gorbals, althouth its on the up I still wouldnt go there, I go out glasgow quite often (social life)(something I wont have a lot of when I start at the college) and its a great place for having fun, Ive been to london many a times and I would say that glasgow has probably got the best nightlife in britain, loads of clubs, for that 1 night a month you go out hahaha!!!

aultguish
25th Jun 2002, 15:21
Thanks for your replies guys. Being a Jock myself I know only to well about the gorbals lol. Scotia bar sounds good though. Not had a proper night out since I started the ATPL's, so I think I might just have to have a sneaky wee look in there on my last night.
Then again, might have to have a drink midweek to calm the noise of the bagpipes.
Thanks all

laurie
25th Jun 2002, 18:48
Nothing wrong with the sound of bagpipes. :)

CaptainMac: Will email you shortly - returning home at beginning of month. Maybe we could sort something out with that Arrow?

Regards,

Laurie.

Flypuppy
25th Jun 2002, 19:24
The World Pipe Band Championships 2002 is on Glasgow Green,
on 10/08/02, which is a Saturday.

aged
4th Jul 2002, 09:16
Glasgow Aeronautical College:

Has anyone done the distance learning for ATPL with these guys?
Any comments about them, their material, support, etc?

Any advice appreciated - or recommendations of others for distance learning

LaurieIain
26th Jul 2002, 14:26
Hey

Hust spoke with them and done some digging. Good sounding accomodation can be organised. About £69 per week self catering. Recomend that as opposed to £76 catered.

£69 is ensuite with shared kitchen. Other has no kitchen and shared bathrooms.

The man in charge is ex-navy and seems switched on. Might see you all there in January

carb
31st Aug 2002, 20:20
Any clues as to what sort of reputation this course has with employers, how good their material is, etc?

JohnnyPharm
8th Apr 2003, 21:05
Anyone doing the Distance Learning at Glasgow?

Whats it like?

Funkie
2nd Dec 2003, 02:20
Hi all,

I noticed a flyer on the notice board of my local flying club advertising ATPL Theory studies at the above college.

Having searched the forums, it provided me with a little bit of info, but not the whole picture.

It would appear that the course is run by ex Prestwick instructors, which I can only assume is a good thing??

But, what I would like to obtain is some student feedback, mainly:

i) Are the notes of good quality? - I’m not interested in all the colours under the rainbow, but that they contain clear and accurate information.

ii) What’s the feedback like?

iii) What’s the accommodation like? I'm not looking for Balmoral standards, just a decent, cheap and clean kip.

iv) How much does it cost?

I’m going to get in touch with them, and probably go through and have a look at the facilities, maybe even sit in on a couple of classes!

Any other positive and negative (if any) would be appreciated.

Cheers

Funkie:ok:

Epic_mg
8th Apr 2004, 17:13
Hello All,

This question has probably been asked before so apologies for repeating myself.
Please can someone give me feed back on GCNS ATPL ground school as I am interested in enrolling with GCNS or Oxford this year.
I ve heard good reports about Oxford however can t seem to find much on Glasgow.

Cheers.

silverknapper
8th Apr 2004, 17:51
Hi

If you're asking which has the best reputation then has to be Oxford, both in terms of classes and notes. However Glasgow is half the cost. I have a few mates who went to glasgow and got through, but it involved more work than I would have thought necessary.

SK

Charley
26th Aug 2004, 14:42
Has anyone got any recent feedback on the residential ATPL course offered by GCNS? I have done a search and found a few snippets but didn't find too much feedback given in recent months, most of it goes back a little further.

I'm looking at this school along with BCFT and Bristol (D/L for the latter, obviously) and wondered if anyone has any nice things to say about them. Or bad things, for that matter, which can be passed over PM if you prefer. Are the class sizes sensible? Is the instruction good? Decent notes? Have any students had to go elsewhere to complete the exams after not doing too well at GCNS? And so on...

Any info gratefully received, ta muchly. Obviously the direct-contact method will answer some questions but the experience of others helps to get a more rounded picture.

wbryce
27th Aug 2004, 10:09
would be intreasted to know too.... GCNS is on my list for future ATPL studies.

silverknapper
27th Aug 2004, 10:58
An interesting question.
I was set to go there lasr April full time. However I met a few people who had been and struggled a bit. Whilst I know this can be down to the individual no one seemed to get first time passes in all or most of the subjects. The notes were poor and there wasn't much in the way of up to date feedback.
Due to this I went to Bristol whom I have no complaints about at all - first class. I worried about D/L but in the end it suited me better. Being able to take a day off on a nice day for a round of golf and make it up at the weekend, or even just have a day off if I couldn't be bothered really was excellent - it is an approach I really would recommend. Start to finish was around 5 months.

Cheers

SK

lookoutbelow
27th Aug 2004, 12:04
Hi,

Went there last year. I thought it was an excellent course and they are very flexible which is excellent. I passed all 14 first time with an average of around 89%. Afriend, who I met there and was on the same intake got 13 out 14 first time, again with high averages and we both finished the course 4 weeks early! The other two people on our course dropped about 3 exams between them (28). However, we were a small course (4) and me and my friend split our 14 exams into three sittings oppossed to the normal two which we fealt helped a great deal. By the way, GCNS are now are now advertising the three module approach.

Perhaps the notes could have been a little better when we were there, but I guess if you want all colour diagrams, pretty pictures and flashy folders you go to Oxford and pay the extra cash. But they were gradually being re-written by the CGI Kevin Maloney and I would guess they would all be done now. The instructors are excellent and very experienced so nothing to worry about there and lectures are delivered well. Class sizes are normally small and plenty of time to ask questions and discuss relevant material.

Negatives, it's in a maritime college. The place is crawling with sailors and as it is now a further education establishment, hairdresser's, drama students, you name it. Pilots are definately in the minority but maybe that brings you all together a little more. It is cold, dark and wet there in the winter and can get a litlle depressing at times especially when you are struggling with a gyro question and you are looking at the same question you were looking at 2 hrs ago!! The building is aged and it feels a lille bit like going back to high school!

Glasgow is a fun city to be in and if you haven't been there before don't pay any attention to its old and now dated reputation. Beer is cheap, lots to do and all the benefits of living in a major city. I don't regret my time up there at all.

It is worth remembering that as long as the notes and lecturing are to a reasonable standard the deciding factor in how good an ATPL school is, in reality and in my opinion, only down to one thing, how much work and effort you put into the course. I am no mega brain, believe me and got them all first time but I bloody worked hard for it and lost most of my life for 7 months!

Hope this helps...

LOB

wbryce
27th Aug 2004, 14:04
Thanks for that LOB...

I stay just outside Glasgow so it wouldn't be a problem for me to travel, but i was thinking of getting accomodation, so i can distance myself away from my life and loose 7 months of it too!

What sort of time off did you find you had free? Im meaning at the weekends, Id suppose, you maybe took one day a week to chill, or half a day?

lookoutbelow
27th Aug 2004, 15:31
Sorry didn't notice you were from Scotland! You will know all about Glasgow then!

I think the idea of getting away is good. I live 40 mins drive from Bournemouth and that would have been the easier and perhaps cheaper option. But the pull of friends, family, pub, interests etc was going to be too big for me and too much of a distraction. I do know guys who have done it distance learn whilst still working and supporting a young family though so it really is "horses for courses".

At GCNS the lessons run 0900-1600. Typically I would study three or four evenings a week for at least two or theee hours. I would then try and do a days work (6-8 Hrs)at the weekend. Before each set of exams this would be increased and I can remember days of studying/revising from the time I got up at 0800 to pretty much 2300 at night with half an hour for lunch and regular ten minute tea breaks. You don't really loose your life it just has to become a priority and it is very time consuming but I still experienced most of the decent pubs in Glasgow. After all it is important to relax and let you hair down!

I just didn't want to fail the CAA exams you understand. This game is expensive enough as it is without paying the CAA £55 for the privelidge of sitting re-sits + the hastle factor attched!

Anyway good luck!

LOB

silverknapper
27th Aug 2004, 16:56
I reckon as Lob says it's horses for courses.
Personally I thing being at college 9-4 then doing 3 hours a night and a day at the weekend is excessive. At that rate you should be completing the course in 3 months, not 6. I'm not clever, but got through on about 3-4 hours a day working from the notes. Then going to Bristol you will be well placed for two weeks solid work, 9-5 and 6 hours a night. The brush up really is first class.

sk8erboi
29th Aug 2004, 21:54
I went and got through eventually. But as Lookout says be prepared for a lot of work. At the end of the day you probably get what you pay for - and they are half the cost of most others. Yeah the notes were terrible and I bought a few Oxford ones to compensate. But I believe they were being re written so that may well have changed.
One thing which I hope some one will clear up - I believe they have an ex student who didn't have a very good record and hasn't finished training now lecturing for free. Please don't take this as chapter and verse but if I were choosing again that may concern me a touch.
Anyway good luck with it all, whichever you choose it comes down to your own motivation.

lookoutbelow
30th Aug 2004, 08:44
SK8erboi,

When were you there? I was there from Jan 03 to Aug 03.

As far as I am aware, I was never taught by anyone who I knew not to be qualified. Remember the only requirement (as far as I am aware anyway!) to teach ATPL groundschool is to have passed the ATPL's yourself and be approved by the FTO or have special approval from the CAA based on previous career experience and again be approved by the FTO. Can you give me a clue as to who the individual was and I may be able to shed some light on it. PM me if you like.

On the whole, as you say, for the £ I was happy with course, espcially when issued with the new notes!

Cheers

LOB

silverknapper
27th Oct 2004, 12:53
Hmmmm

So you keep saying. Whats your angle on it?

EGPE
4th Nov 2004, 15:30
Hi, never used this pprune thing before so here we go.

Anyone got feedback on the ATPL course at Glasgow? Starting there next week so just enjoying my last few days of FREEDOM!

Just as important, where is the best place for beer and birds?:ok:

nosewheelfirst
4th Nov 2004, 15:44
How about the city centre :p

EGPE
4th Nov 2004, 16:43
Cheers Tailwheellast! I would never have guessed! Wise ar:mad:e! :p

chopper666
4th Nov 2004, 20:48
was recently a student in Glasgow (not for my ATPL) but at GU. Can comment on the pubs and birds...

Sauchiehall st is good for drinking, quite cheap too. All the students tend to go out down by charing cross area - pub called firewater usually has a good selection...
You should try the Republica Beir Halle just off Buchanan St opposite TGI fridays. Excellent choice of foreign beers (not the cheapest mind you!!).

Good luck with the GCNS course...and the flying.

Cheers,

Chopper

nosewheelfirst
4th Nov 2004, 21:10
Sorry, you will need to get used to the Weegie sense of humour :) I'll second the Beir Halle (still trying to get through the list) Bath street has some fairly good establishments as well as the lower end of Sauchiehall Street. The college itself is just accross the water from the Merchant City which again has a large choice. Enjoy

wbryce
5th Nov 2004, 14:10
EGPE, once you have a nice idea and feeling of the course at Glasgow, can you drop me a PM and let me know your feelings on the course?

Im looking into ground schools for some point in 2005, and Glasgow is one on the list since its the closest, but I heard a few negative coments on there notes.

EGPE
5th Nov 2004, 19:21
Cheers lads! The Beir Halle sounds worth a visit!:E

wbryce, Wilco. I think it will be value for money. The way I see it if the notes are crap you can buy the Oxford ones from Transair and still be quids in. At the end of the day I am sure its what effort you put in to it yourself and not where you study that will make the difference! The only people I have heard negative comments from are people who have not studied there so they probably don't know what there talking about (hopefuly). Anyway will know better by this time next week, the wallet will be a lot lighter too after forking out the fees, accommodation and a few visits to the watering holes mentioned by nosewheel and chopper!:ok:

wbryce
10th Nov 2004, 10:22
Thats fair advice EGPE, I mostly lack self confidence, I always seem to do well on exams, but its mostly because I make sure im well prepared, when im paying alot of money for exams, ill be slave working 24/7 making sure that ill pass! :)

One of my instructors went to Glasgow for his theory exams, he did say the same as you...something along the lines that the notes aint perfect, its the effort one puts in to pass.

It would be cool if you could continue to let us know on your progress and let us know how you feel about Glasgow, I may drop in and check Glasgow out for myself, when im closer to the ground school stage.

aerosteve
8th Jan 2005, 15:50
Hi all!

Just wondered whether any current or recent students studying their ATPL at Glasgow College of Nautical Studies had any feedback on the course?

I have good and bad reports, but hoped to get some info now they have changed to a 3 module system.

Any comments welcome.

Happy flying..

flighttime2.0
8th Jan 2005, 20:03
Mate I dont know what the course is like but I sat my exams there and stayed in the student accommodation and hell I can tell you that was an experience that I never want to go througt again .
The building smells , the food is poxy and the other students from various courses also staying in the building are loud , very loud ..
So just bare that in mind if you plan on staying there for the 7 months !! flightime 2.0

p.s the rooms are tiny, the matresses are rubber and the desks are falling apart ( never been in prison but that is exactly what I picture it to be like )

ikea
8th Jan 2005, 20:17
well, im from Newcastle, and hope to do ATPL istance learning, I passed my Class One on Tuesday (get in!!!) and i hope to get my PPL in summer before starting it. Having gone to LGW I realishe that no was could I make the journey for exams, its too tiring. GCNS is closer and therefore I think I will study with them. I assume the exams are sat in GCNS and not gatwick?? Am I right??

eason67
9th Jan 2005, 09:16
Flighttime 2.o is right in everything he says.

The accom, food and area itself is dire, VERY dire!!

It's just not conducive to study and don't forget, this is a professional course you are doing.

My advice would be to go and visit the place and have a chat with the instructors.

I sat all my ATPL exams and the re-takes at Glasgow and would recommend it as a place to sit exams but dont stay at the college. Fork out and go somewhere like Holiday Express Inn or somewhere.

Thank God I never have to go back!!!! :D

muppethead
9th Jan 2005, 09:45
Im with eason 67 and flighttime2!!

The place is an absolute s**thole, situated next to one of the ugliest parts of Glasgow. There is a Holiday Inn Express about 10 mins walk away which will cost you about £50 a night.

If you go and see it for yourself, Iam sure that will make your mind up for you.

Good luck anyway:ok:

flighttime2.0
9th Jan 2005, 10:15
Hay Eason & muppethead

I stayed in that holiday Inn for my second set of exams - not for all the tea in China would I have gone back to that other dump.

I even felt at the dinner table I had joined Osama Bin Laden and his Ali-Quaida network.flighttime..

duir
9th Jan 2005, 11:08
Agree.
Glasgow is Hall of Residence are awful. Last time I was there in December doing the Module 2 exams I was given a room under a 24hr Death Metal Enthusiast! No point in asking for a different room as every room is just as bad noise wise.
The exam centre itself is not at the College but a short walk away. It also doubles as some kind of community drop in centre. Some people really like the laid back approach at Glasgow as its not too formal. In hindsight, if I could afford it I would sit at Glasgow, but use a hotel as my accomodation.

flighttime2.0
10th Jan 2005, 01:37
. [QUOTE]but in my opinion comments from students who have been there recently, and people who have relevant experience (and are prepared to back their opinions up with real people) of the course speaks volumes.

And this is coming from a person who has not been there at all .God sometime I love the inexperience of my following predecessors ..it cracks me up ( as they say in the usa )

P.s . what is your interpretation on a real person ?

come on the celts 2/1 I do believe ..flighttime..

muppethead
10th Jan 2005, 08:32
POADS,

All the above people who have passed comment on GCNS, have been there and sat exams there. I think you will find that we are commenting on the suitability and quality of the venue as opposed to the quality of the course!

I would certailnly recommend a visit to GCNS before parting with any cash.

p.s, come on the Celts:}

aerosteve
10th Jan 2005, 10:17
thanks for the advice thus far!. I should have added that i currently stay in Glasgow and would not be looking for accomodation, and that i will be fulltime residential on the course.

sounds like some people have had bad experience in the halls at GCNS!

thanks,

steve..

flighttime2.0
10th Jan 2005, 10:24
Aerosteve

Once you have the accommodation outside the GCNS hall of residence your sorted mate .. goodluck with the studies .
"flighttime"

navoff
10th Jan 2005, 16:24
Aerosteve

Have you considered another option. Don't go full time, but use Bristol GS who are excellent with very good first time pass rates. They have high quality notes and their feedback gives you a fighting chance in the exams. Glasgow as fulltime must be a more expensive option. There is a lot of work in the course, but nothing that, perhaps, could not be done part-time and with a little discipline.

I have spoken to a few people that have attended Glasgow and they seemed happy.

Excellent venue for the exams

Good luck

ScotsRocket
10th Jan 2005, 16:31
Hi everyone,

I did the course at GCNS Sep 03 through to May04. There were 12 of us in the class and about 4 or 5 stayed in the college accommodation, not one of them liked it! The college itself is in a pretty rough area of Glasgow and it's fair to say you're taking a chance going out at night!

I live in nearby in Paisley which is only 8 miles or so away, I would advise against staying near the college. I found the course itself to be reasonable, but the format then was study 7 subjects, sit the exams then go on to the other 7. I found this a bit heavy going, looking back now I'd have preferred to split it up a bit more. It's a hell of a lot of work! In saying that I managed to pass 10 first time and 4 at the second attempt.

If anyone wants more info on the course, surrounding area etc I'll be glad to help.

All the best, ScotsRocket

ScotsRocket
11th Jan 2005, 21:22
Hi again,

Meant to say in my previous post, I have a spare room if anyone who is planning to go to GCNS for their ATPL theory would be interested in accommodation. I also have Oxford notes for more than half the subjects, the Glasgow notes are pretty good but black and white only so the full colour Oxford notes do help. If anyone's interested feel free to private message me to discuss this in more detail

Best of luck, ScotsRocket

zzzz
13th Mar 2005, 15:03
After a search on this site, what seems clear, is that while other schools get mentioned a lot with regards to ATPL distance learning, not much has been said about Glasgow Nautical College.

Does anyone have recent experience with them, and would recommend their distance learning course for the ATPLs?

Or does the silence indicate their are better options elsewhere for ground school?

chrisdick
13th Mar 2005, 18:07
Hey zzzz

I'm currently doing my atpl theory with glasgow distance learning. I'm due to sit my first module of exams in may. The notes are pretty good, the biggest problem I've had is trying to get hold of the instructors for extra advice. I've also heard the accomodation is pretty awful!! I guess i'll find out in six weeks:ugh:

Good luck with ur choice, if u can I would visit the school ur thinking of doing it with. I didn't and can only hope I don't regret it.

silverknapper
13th Mar 2005, 19:55
Glasgow tends to get mixed reports in my experience. People I know who have gone say its pretty poor, but some folk here say they're ok. Certainly when i visited and saw their notes I didn't go. They were appalling.
If you're going D/L I would say you can't go wrong at Bristol. You won't hear a bad word about them anywhere, they are excellent. If you are from GLA then the extra you would pay going to Bristol for courses (4 weeks) in accomodation would, in my opinion be a wise investment at such a crucial stage. It only works out at about £400 tops - just over an hour in a twin!!!
I would add that I was able to attend full time, but felt I would do better with Bristols material studying at home - it is that good. And I never waited more than three hours for a reply to a question.

Playtime_fontayne
27th Mar 2005, 15:29
speaking from experience, some of the Glasgow notes are not brilliant, althought they are in the process of re-writing some of them. If you do decide to go, on no account stay in the student accomodation! i've heard it referred to as alcatrazz! The instructors are very good though.

MIKECR
6th Feb 2006, 17:11
Hi Folks,

Im starting at GCNS on April 3rd for F/T ATPL's. Anyone else?? PM me if you wish.

iain32
4th May 2006, 13:10
hi, does anyone know the requirements to get into this college to do the ATPL theory course. i couldn't see it on their website anywhere. i was wandering the education you needed to get in and what the training is like.

Thanks

kui2324
4th May 2006, 13:35
Not sure what the entrance requirements are as I have a previous qualification and they never asked me about anything else. Probably best to give them a call.

Small groups if going the full time route - better than being lost in a sea of people. Same goes for the distance learning. I have had no problems at all with them, though I can't compare them with anyone else as I've not experienced anywhere else. But so far have got the passes I need so they must be doing something right!

femaleWannabe
4th May 2006, 13:43
I wanted to do the atpl's there as I live in edinburgh. I emailed them a few weeks ago to ask about how flexible the distance learning course is and didn't get a reply. So I'm going to go to bristol when the time comes I think. I've read on here that the notes aren't as good as they could be and the accommodation isn't great, but I've not experienced it, so I dont' know personally.

kui2324
4th May 2006, 13:57
Having seen GCNS & BGS notes, and the AFT and OAT textbooks - not sure that any of them are perfect. I've seen errors/mistakes in all of them. There is word that Glasgow will be changing their note provider.

At the end of the day - it's going to come down to the work that you put in.

smith
4th May 2006, 19:06
Iain

I have an an average for my ATPL's in the 90's studying with GCNS. Entry requirements are the usual, ie PPL, Class 1 Med (I think), "Proficiency in Maths and Physics", English language, 18 years. Although no formal qualifications are required you are supposed to demonstate a proficiency in maths and physics to get accepted although this demonstration is not tested for as, as it is a further education college, free maths tuition is available for students to brush up weak areas.

Students in the class range from no formal qualifications, to school certificates, to graduates and to even doctors.

Playtime_fontayne
8th May 2006, 21:10
I went there, GCSE physics and maths was all req'd for entry

mafoo
9th May 2006, 20:26
I'm currently doing there residential course. Smith is right as far as requirements go. My understanding is you don't need a class one to commence the course, although Im sure they would definately recommend it.

Just found an email I received from GCNS before I started...

<quote gcns>
2. You require to have been educated to at least Standard Grade or GCSE 'O' Level in Mathematics and Physics, + hold a JAA or ICAO PPL. Multi-choice mathematics and physics papers are alternatively available on request.

3. There is no formal selection process although places are normally limited on the courses to 15 persons, thus allowing for a more personalised approach. Please note that due the courses being small compared to most other places unconditional places can only be offered on receipt of a completed application form together with a non returnable deposit of £xxx (cheques made payable to the Glasgow College of Nautical Studies).
</quote>

vigilant_spacey
24th May 2006, 19:33
Hi

If anyone is, or is planning to start ATPL studies at Glasgow on the 11th September, please drop me a line. I'll be on the course, would be nice to know a few ppl before I got there!

Cheers

Sam

vigilant_spacey
25th May 2006, 09:01
come on, it cant be a one man course!!! :}

preduk
7th Apr 2007, 23:01
Hi there!

I've been looking into flight training for a wee while now, like many of us, and came across a dilema...

I've got my PPL at the moment, but am currently at University studying Law and wont graduate until 2009. I have been looking at the flight schools, reading the reviews and can't really make up my mind on where to do the theory.

I was speaking to a friend of mine who is a commerical heli pilot and I mentioned Glasgow College of Nautical Studies to him, I'm from Glasgow so obviously its the closest for me.

He pretty much laughed at me, and told me that I would be best looking at Bristol as they are a "fantastic" school.

I done a search on this forum to see if anyone has done any reviews on them, but was unsuccessful.

So the question is, has anyone been there? or heard any stories? or advise me to stay away from them. I have no problem with travelling to Bristol, it's just easier for me to go to Glasgow.

I look forward to your reply!

thornycactus
8th Apr 2007, 05:55
GCNS is a good place for Marine studies. Same goes to University of Strathclyde and University of Glasgow! These two universities’ Marine department combined into one and formed UGS (Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde) NAME Department.

I have friends (from Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, India) went to Glasgow for their studies (in LLB, BEng, MEng, BSc., BA, MBBS , MBA and etc.).

Back to your question. Flying in UK is unaffordable! Too expensive for any flight training! The flight training cost for PPL in UK is about the same as FAA CPL (SE+VFR) or Philippines ATO CPL (ME+IR) or India DGCA CPL (SE+IR) or Australia CASA CPL (SE+VFR) cost!

Get you training done in U.S. or the Philippines or Thailand! It is worth it and you save lots of money! After you have received your licence, just do a UK-JAR (FCL) conversion! All you need is to sit for the papers, a few hours of flight training and a check-ride to get your UK-JAR (FCL) pilot licence!

If you were to train in any of these foreign country, other expenses (such as accommodation, traveling expenses, daily meals, & etc.)(plus flight training) and/or after UK-JAR (FCL) licence conversion cost, the total amount spent may still way below the cost of full flight training in UK! :ok:

preduk
8th Apr 2007, 14:21
thornycactus,

Thanks for your response.

The University of Glasgow don't have a Marine department. They do the aviation studies, such as Aeronatuical Engineering etc

In all honesty, I want to do my training in the UK, but thanks for the advice.

P.s thanks to however moved my post, I done a search but never found anything! :)

Callsign Kilo
8th Apr 2007, 22:19
Wouldn't say it was my greatest experience of a 'professional flight training organisation' so far, if I am being totaly honest. The aviation department co-exists with the college's maratime school, and it is blatently obvious where the majority of the college's attention is devoted to! Being the only ATPL residential groundschool in Scotland, it 'should' benefit from a huge catchment area throughout the Northern UK and Ireland. I say 'should' because in my opinion....it doesn't! Despite efforts in some areas of the course it sadly lacks in many others. It's a shame because it should have the potential to be a lot better.

MIKECR
9th Apr 2007, 12:47
I will second what CK has said. Im afraid I was left less than impressed with my experience of GCNS. We all ended up using Bristol/OAT notes and most of us didnt bother coming back for Module 3, opting to finish the course at home instead.

preduk
9th Apr 2007, 19:54
Thanks for the response.

I am looking at Bristol, as I have heard the school is really good. I'm currently flying at Prestwick, so the college would be really handy for me. However, I don't mind going else where if the course is much better!

Thanks again.

Callsign Kilo
9th Apr 2007, 22:16
If you are disciplined enough to go distant learning, go BGS. I know several people who went this route and didn't have a bad word to say about them. I have used some of their material and it is excellent. If I had to do it all again :eek: I would sign up to Bristol without a second thought. However to do distance learning in minimum time you must be disciplined; even more so than in the residential environment. Good luck

preduk
10th Apr 2007, 00:03
Hi,

Nah in all honesty I don't think I could do distance learning.

As I said I've got a long time to go. Aviation is my dream job, but I run my own company at the moment and I'm not sure whether I would be best running my company and doing it as a hobby or business (if I was luck enough) or do it as a full time career and face the major debt :S

Thanks again though!

Scott

JUST-local
10th Apr 2007, 10:30
I was on the same course at Glasgow as a couple of the previous posters.
I needed the kick up the @rse that a full time course provides after trying dl and not taking time out to do enough study. I passed all but one exam first time (missed one by 1%) with good marks. I found that Glasgow was ok place to stay local amenities are good, super markets, leisure centre for those well needed hours off.
The college itself is well equipped library etc. The aviation department is very small with only three lecturers when I was there. All of whom were ok and approachable. The notes were not good, I supplemented mine with a set off Bristol which were very clear and concise.
At the end of the day I would not advise anyone to do a full time course (anywhere) try dl first, you need to treat it like a job though, get up early and get studying, it’s down to you which ever way you do it! You have to put the hours in.
I believe Bristol now do introductory study days for people just starting, I would have gone to these if they had been invented when I started.
You can still do the exams at Glasgow and study at home, you will save money and time and it will be more convenient all round.
Good luck…………

preduk
10th Apr 2007, 17:19
JUST-local,

Thanks for that!

I must admit, being from Glasgow myself, and knowing the area very well.. I would hate to live in that area of Glasgow. Although its very close to the heart of the city, the area isn't one of the greatest areas!

I will have a look into DL as well, as I said I have a wee while left until I need to decide which course to follow, but I'm trying to take in as many opinions as possible in order to come to a good conclusion.

Thanks!

clunk1001
30th May 2007, 13:33
I've been trying to contact GCNS about their course, didn’t get any response on email, left phone message – no response.

If this is what their communication is like whilst I’m holding a fat cheque in my hand it doesnt bode well for DL students.

Have signed up with BristolGS, so no longer have that cheque in my hand :uhoh:, but am finally starting my studies :)

MIKECR
30th May 2007, 14:00
Doesnt surprise me, I did the full time course there and was less than impressed. I did hear through the grapevine though that they werent running an April course this year. Apparently lack of interest.

Callsign Kilo
30th May 2007, 14:29
Mike, maybe they had interest? Probably didn't bother their arse answering the phone or reading any emails to find out that the interest existed! Now that's believable ;)

MIKECR
30th May 2007, 14:44
LOL, yes, thats probably more like it!!:ok:

apnewall
22nd Jun 2007, 10:08
Hi there,

Im about to start a full time course at GCNS this September. I have heard mixed reviews however i think spending that much time in the classroom they must be teaching you something!

I was hoping to meet a few people before i start the course, I live in Edinburgh and have a Beech Muskateer in Cumbernauld. If anyone is interested we could go for a flight sometime before Sept?

eninem
17th Sep 2008, 20:02
Its shut. No point in trying there.

preduk
17th Sep 2008, 21:02
This post is over a year old, why did you reply?