PDA

View Full Version : Crash at Camden

orangepeel
7th Feb 2003, 10:02
Just heard of reports of an aircraft down at Camden tonight 07/03 (around 1045UTC)

Reports of aircraft on fire .. with 2 pax ...

Any further heard ??

My thoughts and wishes are with all involved ...

orangepeel
7th Feb 2003, 22:21
from the details i have :

its sounds to be a duchess, the rego unknown, but the tail section is intact the tail had a brown stipe making on it but couldn't tell which flying organisation it was from. everything forward from the tail section look like a mangled wreck. im surprised the pilots survived the impact. the crash site is about 1/2 mile to the east of the airfield of the airport roughly in a 090-120 direction on top of the hill. At the crash site there was heavy machinery bits (old junk ) and stuff like that. scattered in the backyard.

Hope all are well .....

KISS
7th Feb 2003, 23:14
From NineMSN Site:

"Two men dragged from the burning wreckage of their light aircraft last night remained seriously injured in hospital after the crash on a property in Sydney's south-west.

Police were called to a property at the northern end of Camden Airport at about 9.40pm (AEDT) after property owners heard a loud crash and discovered burning wreckage in one of their paddocks.

They pulled two men from the plane aged 67 and 51.

The two men were taken to Camden hospital suffering severe burns.

The 67-year-old man was then transported by Careflight Helicopter to Liverpool hospital.

He remains in a critical condition.

The other victim, aged 51, was later taken to Liverpool hospital by ambulance, where he is in a serious condition.

Police believe the plane was a four-seater Beechcraft Duchess.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau will take over the crash investigation this morning."

Here's hoping...

OpsNormal
8th Feb 2003, 01:17
Oh no. One of Bill's. Another sad day for GA in the Sydney basin.

My thoughts go out to all involved, directly or otherwise. I hope those injured can make a full recovery.

Regards,
OpsN.:(

jetstar21
8th Feb 2003, 02:33
As a result of the accident, well known and respected ATO/Instructor, Leslie W Morris (67)
passed away in Liverpool hospital this morning.

Leslie will be sadly missed by the industry.

Dave Incognito
8th Feb 2003, 05:19
Just saw it on channel 10 news.

Aircraft was VH-JWX. As mentioned earlier, everything forward of the tail has been destroyed by either impact or fire.

A tragic loss for those involved.

skychaser
8th Feb 2003, 06:10
Les did several ATO visits to our organisation. A true gentleman who really knew his stuff. Vale Les. You will be missed.

'AEROWASP' HELICOPTERS
9th Feb 2003, 01:36
What a shock to GA, especially the training environment Australia-wide. Les Morris was an exceptional chap with experiences and qualifications the majority of us could only ever dream about. He was an ATO for both fixed-wing and helicopters and will no doubt be sorely missed by everyone who was associated with him. I for one will miss his outstanding practical knowledge of the rules and regulations and his advice and assistance so freely given.

Farewell Leslie! Condolences to all his family and friends.

Peter and the crew at AEROWASP.

luna landing
9th Feb 2003, 03:03
Any news on the other pilot? I heard he was a United Airlines Captain.

My sympathy to family and friends.

bigfella5
9th Feb 2003, 14:56
Just found out about the passing of Les Morris.
Can't think of too much to say however I'm going to miss the man.
He has been a support to me over the last couple of years in more ways than one and I can't believe that I won't be running across him around the traps of the Sydney basin.
He was a fireball of energy, always a dry joke on his lips and wasn't backward about coming forward with either solicited or unsolicited advice on any aspect of aviation.
I for one feel most fortunate having met him and flown with him.
I'll miss his wit, wisdom and appalling dress sense for a long time to come.
Vale Les.... you're a bloody legend mate!!!!!

aero979
9th Feb 2003, 22:07
I learned alot from my few flights with les, things that I had not been shown or taught from any other ATO. Certainly did know his stuff, and is a great loss for the Aviation Industry. He even took me for a spin in his heron a couple of times.

The flight was an IFR renewal, and the other pilot I believe is still in hospital, with burns to 1/3 of his body. My condolences to Les' family, and the family of the other pilot.

Centaurus
16th Feb 2003, 09:27
The news about Les Morris hit hard. I trained Les on Lincolns back in 1960 - he was a good operator then. Ten days after the accident - has anyone yet got facts on the cause of the crash?

Capt_Jack
18th Feb 2003, 00:41
Lots of unsubstantiated rumours, no hard facts. A lot of armchair experts around YSBK claim they know the cause but we will all have to wait for the ATSB to complete their investigation.

It always amazes me how quick people are to blame "pilot error" (many of them pilots themselves) when they have no facts (except what they have seen in 20 seconds on Channel 10.)

What is a fact is that Les Morris was an extremely fastidious instructor & testing officer with over 40000 hours experience. He will be sadly missed.

exrba
20th Feb 2003, 02:15
Aerowasp,
" I for one will miss his knowledge of the regulations"
He must have forgotten the ones regarding EFATO at night!!!

Johhny Utah
20th Feb 2003, 03:44
exrba - in light of the circumstances involved, I find your comment to be way out of line. :mad:

Perhaps you should think before you post on pprune. If you were trying to be clever/witty/sarcastic - think again. :*

Disgraceful behaviour.:mad:

'AEROWASP' HELICOPTERS
20th Feb 2003, 05:10
You mindless, insignificant little twit! Unless you have some first-hand information, which I very much doubt you do, I suggest you keep your smart-arsed comments to yourself.:mad:

Red Rat Lukey
20th Feb 2003, 23:33
Exerba does actually have a point regarding the reg's business.

Perhaps not the best place to post this ,however as old mate Packer has said,"think before ya print"

Hugh Jarse
21st Feb 2003, 07:56
I remember a couple of mates and I witnessed the Tamair prang which killed 2 trainees back in 1995.

After it was all over and we were heading back to the airport, the discussion was "What could have happened to cause such a tragedy?".

Not one person suggested intentional V1 cuts at night. We all thought it must have been some catastrophic event from which they could not recover. How wrong we were...

The CVR and subsequent evidence at the crash site put paid to that.

I'm with Propswinga on this one. That's one big hill off the end of 06.

Only time will tell.

bigfella5
21st Feb 2003, 09:04
Son..there are many words that could describe what you are, none particulary nice however I'll get to that in a moment.
I'll start with this....In over 14 years of being in and around this industry I've the pleasure of meeting some genuine gentlemen. I've had the pleasure of meeting some genuine professionals.
I've had the rare honour of meeting a few individuals who not only encompass both of the above qualities but who are truly unique.
Then there's some of Gods children who seem to be blessed with all of the above plus that extra something that seems to be not readily apparent (on the surface anyway) in the rest of the general population.
Les Morris was one of those special people...... period.

Exrbra, you on the other hand... are a gutless wonder. You're cheap,nasty,ignorant and no doubt, after seeing the crap that you wrote, one sad, lonely little man who really should stay at home playing combat sims or Flight Simulator 200 and stay with your little bug smasher on the weekends!

Any time you want to meet up and discuss this further I'd be more than happy to accomodate you...you little runt.
Thing is ......you won't.
If I've offended any of the genuine ppruners then I apologise however...some people need a good smack in the gob and that piece of excrement, exrba; is a prime example.
In any case, I've said my piece.
Vale Les

Red Rat Lukey
21st Feb 2003, 12:35
Propswinga,

I also knew of Les and ranked him right up there with old Billy Whitworth himself , I got the closest facts that will ever be known.

Woomera
21st Feb 2003, 13:24
Gentlemen

This is a Forum in which we all have the right to comment and make observations.

exrba made an observation, the "truth of which" may or may not be properly tested or available for some time, but given the 'type' involved is more likely than not.
The performance available from these types, would in the worst case scenario, test, the most expert of us, and, it is indeed possible to totally overwhelm even the most expert..

Nonetheless he/she is entitled to make comment in any event.

We should be careful not to "confuse" the "personalities" with a "professional" and possibly pertinent observation.

Personal abuse, in the vein of

Exrbra, you on the other hand... are a gutless wonder. You're cheap,nasty,ignorant and no doubt, after seeing the crap that you wrote, one sad, lonely little man who really should stay at home playing combat sims or Flight Simulator 200 and stay with your little bug smasher on the weekends!

and

You mindless, insignificant little twit! Unless you have some first-hand information, which I very much doubt you do, I suggest you keep your smart-arsed comments to yourself

and so on, do not reflect well on the posters or their professionalism, nor I suspect would they bring approbation from Mr Morris.

Yes, they reflect the love and affection held by them for the object of the thread, but I suspect, from the tenor of posts herein in regard to the character and disposition of Mr Morris, that he may well have welcomed any point of view that "challenged" the status quo and would have "championed" a critical assesment of any incident/accident in the pursuit of further advancement of his profession.

He may well have been embarassed by the virulence of his defenders.

NONE of us are "bulletproof" regardless of whether we are a "legend" or have "godzillion" hours.
The most professional of us would have always the view in front of us that "sh!t can happen" and that there is always the probability that we may, one day, meet a situation that confounds us totally.

PROPSWINGA
21st Feb 2003, 21:30
You are 100% correct about this being a forum in which we all have a right to comment! But by the same token, WE have a right to either agree with or disagree with the comments made and a right to defend the honour and memory of a damn fine pilot and friend!
Oh! and please don't suggest that Les might be offended somehow by us doing so unless you know the man as we do! (I know he wouldv'e had the guts to do the same for me.)

Woomera
21st Feb 2003, 22:23
PROPSWINGA

I am not going to go tit for tat with you on this one.

WE have a right to either agree with or disagree with the comments made and a right to defend the honour and memory of a damn fine pilot and friend!

Does not however, confer the right to such explicit and abusive behaviour. Period.:(

Your last paragraph speaks for itself.

I might remind the offenders that it is/was within my powers to apply the rules absolutely and either warn or ban the posters, it is out of respect for the feelings revealed herein that I have not done so.

So lets get back to the thread shall we.

bigfella5
21st Feb 2003, 22:57
Point taken....... having said that, I'll always go to the defence of Les Morris and his ilk. Knowing him well, he wouldn't be embarrassed by it. He stood up for me and helped me on numerous occasions over the last few years and I remember having a conversation with him a few short months ago about the meaning of loyalty and how it doesn't seem to exist to the same extent these days as it did a while back.
I'm acting as Les would have expected a friend to have acted in this situation....with loyalty, a sense of mateship, call it what you will.
I do however apologise for the abusive aspect of my post. I do not apologise for the motivations behind it. I'd expect the same from anybody I consider a friend. Way to stand up propswinga,aerowasp,johhny utah,capt_jack and others.
One final thing Woomera..does this mean now that people can make ignorant, inappropriate, hurtful and ill-informed comments about deceased individuals with impunity but the blokes who take them to task over those comments are to be condemned?!. I may not be the most eloquent person in the world when it comes to expressing my point of view but I do know the difference between right and wrong.
The content of my post and the offence it could of caused I think pales into insignifigance when compared to the few short lines posted by that foolish individual.
Cheers

Guptar
22nd Feb 2003, 00:31
Both engines have been examined and no defects have been found. There was a witness who saw the touch and go as he was pushing his aircraft into a hanger. Reported that it didnt climb above 100 ft agl and had a rapid roll in one direction(what way is uncertain - could be easy to confuse the direction from side on at night) at the same time then recoved wings level moments before impact. Neither prop was feathered at the time of impact.

Make what you will of that.

Foyl
22nd Feb 2003, 10:17
The problem is that Exerba's comment, and the tone in which it was phrased, is as out of place on this thread as it would be if he had put in the obituary column of the paper, or (heaven forbid) interjected during the eulogy at Les' funeral. There is a time and a place for these things to be picked over, and interjecting a posting like that in a thread where people have gathered to mourn a mate for whom they had a large amount of respect was not appropriate.

Pick it over, speculate and gather information by all means, as learning from every accident is how you'll become an old pilot. But there is a time and a place, and this isn't it.

Rest in peace Les.